These interviews have been conducted exclusively for The Muse's Muse (with a few exceptions) and are with some very interesting and talented individuals. I hope you enjoy them.
To return to the main articles section, click here.
- Marty Panzer - Songwriter in Spotlight - Virginia Emrick interviews this outstanding Lyricist who after 30 plus years in the business, having worked with greats like Barry Manilow, Steve Dorff & Don Grady, is now offering master classes in Los Angeles and New York.
- Holland-Dozier-Holland - Songwriters in Spotlight - The legendary Motown team of Holland-Dozier-Holland is known for writing and producing many of the greatest pop and R&B songs of the modern era. The songs they wrote for Diana Ross & The Supremes, The Four Tops, Martha & The Vandellas, Marvin Gaye and other artists have become pop standards. Collectively H-D-H has written over 50 Top-10 Pop/R&B hits, many of which reached #1 on the charts.
- Debby Holiday - Songwriter in Spotlight - Like watching a phoenix rise into the air, as Debby Holiday took the stage at The Gig in Los Angeles, CA, the atmosphere instantly blended into an open sky of emotion, musical passion and freedom. As all eyes were transfixed on the stage, it was obvious that in that space, something extraordinary was happening: Debby Holiday and her band reached a level of intensity, sincerity and spontaneity that enveloped the room and offered the audience an invitation into a world that was impossible to refuse. (by Lauren Jonik)
- Jeffrey Gaines - Songwriter in Spotlight - Just as a painter draws an image out of the world of a blank canvas or a sculptor carves beauty from stone, a musician brings emotion, words, and the totality of a lifetime to the songs he or she creates. On his fifth album, Toward The Sun, Jeffrey Gaines continues to embrace and celebrate what it means to be authentically human and fully engaged in the journey of living. (by Lauren Jonik)
- Damone: Interview with the band - Band in Spotlight - The high school years, however they are experienced, play a defining role in our lives. At the time, those few short years can alternate between feeling swiftly immediate and dramatically endless. The intense growth that comes from every new emotion and event is elevated to being simultaneously frivolous and significant--- and therein lies the beauty. The music of Damone captures the frenetic energy of this time with youthful exuberance, subtle sweetness and irresistible charm. (by Lauren Jonik)
- OK Go - Band In Spotlight - Interview with singer Damian Kulash, Jr. - At its best, art is an invitation--- a kind of welcoming into a place where the distinction between the moment and the creation is blurred, at once becoming tangible and timeless. Enter OK Go, whose self-titled Capitol Records debut proves that the combination of intelligence, accessibility and fun are not antithetical in the world of music, but in fact, deliciously complementary. (by Lauren Jonik)
- Pilate - On Signing With Maple Music - Pilate is a four-piece band that performs melodic, emotionally fueled pop. Sometimes raw, at other times beautiful. Sometimes lush, at other times bare bones. Sometimes loud, at other times meek - and often all of these within one song. Read on for an interview with this dynamic band. (by Tara Sales)
- Ingrim Hill - Band in Spotlight - There is a certain kind of energy that Ingram Hill exudes: raw, yet smooth, new, but comfortably accessible, polished, while still developing--- in short, real and ready to take on the world. It is a sign of great skill when a well-established band captures on an album the same passion and depth that they have in their live show. But, it is a sign of both skill and pure native ability when an up and coming band can do the same--- and so masterfully at that. (by Lauren Jonik)
- Taylored: One of Toronto's Hottest Bands -Revealed! - Taylored has to be one of the hardest working bands in Toronto...4 guys on a mission with Matt Taylor at the helm. Their music is fresh, honest and funky! Check out there site at http://www.taylored.ca/ and see what you think, but 1st you better read this amazing interview! (And some further notes at the end of the interview)(by Tara Sales)
- Shannon Cutts - Songwriter in Spotlight - Shannon is a singer/songwriter with a penchant for upbeat lyrics unveiling the beautiful simplicity of God's love at work in our lives. Although her songs and signature pop sound have been tagged as having 'crossover appeal', Shannon simply views music as 'what she does'. "Music is healing – it is a tie that binds all of us together", Shannon says. "Music is a trusted universal language that can reach into places where words alone cannot go, bringing healing, recovery, joy and love in with it. It is the most powerful and beautiful language I know, and I am privileged to take part in this divine conversation."
- Jon Goodwin - Songwriter in Spotlight - Jon writes passionately about the things he cares about. His music is honest and deals with larger world issues while, at the same time, bringing the issues home to all of us in a personal way. Bart recently had the opportunity to catch up with this very talented songwriter and artist. This interview is the result. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
- Beth Nielsen Chapman - Songwriter in Spotlight - This interview provides rare insight into the mind of an extremely talented songwriter who has decided to share the most personal aspects of her own life in her song.
- Randy Jackson - Songwriter in Spotlight - He may have first earned industry recognition as lead songwriter, vocalist and guitarist with the rock band Zebra, but Randy Jackson has found the key to music industry success on many levels. Solo acoustic performances, Zebra concerts and symphony gigs (that's right, symphony gigs) keep his date book filled most nights - and he's just completing work on a new Zebra CD that's been three years in the making. Versatile, innovative and creative, Jackson has a lot to share in this look behind the door of one songwriter's journey.
- The Logos - Group in Spotlight - Three cousins called The Logos will turn your opinion of hip-hop music around, no matter how you feel about the genre. Songs that go straight to the heart of issues we all face, regardless of our age or race, listenable melodies and on-target lyrics that speak to contemporary conflicts exemplify the group's mission - and their positive message comes through loud and clear.
- Chris Kennedy - Songwriter in Spotlight - Take a guy whose band logo once featured a straitjacket, who sings along with Marlene Dietrich, and is playing nearly every facet of the music business, and what do you get? Chris Kennedy. The former AND current songwriter and front-man of RuthRuth is reinventing himself yet again -- writing new songs, re-working old songs and finally doing it (as one of his favorite icons once sang) HIS way. Think you've heard it all about the agonies and ecstasies of songwriting? Kennedy can change your mind, in more ways than one.
- Don Ciccone - Songwriter in Spotlight - Terri Ann Palumbo talks to Don about the "seasons" of his songwriting.
- Alan O'Day - Songwriter in Spotlight - Most people may know Alan as the writer/artist on the Billboard #1 "Undercover Angel," or as the writer of Helen Reddy's quirky two million seller "Angie Baby". But O'Day has remained busy at his craft since the 70's. Read on as Alan talks about his views on rejection, emotional support (we ALL need that!), recounts his successes and talks about the lessons he's learned along the way.
- Rik Emmett - Songwriter in Spotlight - "He's one of Canada's most respected musicians: a virtuoso guitarist & singer/songwriter with an award-winning, multi-gold and platinum history that earned him a spot in the Canadian Rock Hall of Fame." He also gives one hell of a good interview. How does an extremely popular performer keep it all together? Here's some insight into Rik's writing process, how he deals with criticism, how he finds time to write, how he uses today's technologies to get ahead, and how he manages to keep his family life intact through it all. How does he keep himself sane in this insane business? Read on to find out.
- Bill Brown - Songwriter In Spotlight - Some of Bill Brown's recent composing and arranging highlights include director Oliver Stone's feature film 'Any Given Sunday', Deran Sarafian's 'Trapped', Gus Van Sant's 'Finding Forrester', Clive Barker's 'Undying', Michael Crichton's 'Timeline', Jim Sonzero's film 'War of the Angels', Tom Clancy's 'Rainbow Six' and 'Rogue Spear', and Steven Spielberg's 'The Lost World: Trespasser'. Here's what this successful composer had to say about how he got started, his process and where he's hoping to go with it in the future.
- Austin Willacy - Songwriter In Spotlight - This San Francisco-based, performing songwriter has a lot to say about the digital age, his music and where it comes from. Coming from a family of lawyers, you *know* this is going to be an intelligent interview. ;-) Austin's music is also spotlighted on the second Radio Muse show so have a listen!
- Deborah McCall - Songwriter In Spotlight - This Atlanta-born, LA-based singer/songwriter has been around for a long time though she's only now put out an album of her own. Find out what took her so long and hear about the lessons she's learned along the way.
- David Wimble - Publisher In Spotlight - Conducted by Ben Ohmart, this interview asks the publisher and creator of The Indie Contact Bible, why he created it, how he created it and what he hopes to accomplish with it. A songwriter and performer himself, some of David's answers might surprise you.
- Mickey Newbury - Songwriter In Spotlight - Mickey Newbury was inducted into the the Nashville Songwriter's Hall of Fame in 1980 - and for good reason. From his web site:Newbury's songs have been recorded by Ray Charles, B.B. King, Bobby Blue Bland, Jerry Lee Lewis, Kenny Rogers, Willie Nelson and Joan Baez, among others. He once had four songs simultaneously in the R&B, Country, Easy Listening and Pop Charts. He is perhaps best known for his composition "American Trilogy", a pastiche of Civil War-era songs also recorded by Elvis Presley. This is a very special interview well worth reading.
- Mark Smeby - Songwriter In Spotlight - Mark has made his living as a professional writer in the music industry -- writing for dozens of magazines and record companies -- writing feature stories, album reviews, liner notes, and even speeches for record company presidents. A previous Director of Membership for the Gospel Music Association and also a performing songwriter in his own right, he talks about his experiences in the music business.
- Blue Miller - Songwriter In Spotlight - Blue has sung and played guitar with Bob Seger and Isaac Hayes.....He's led a 3 time charting Pop group (Julia) and a chart-topping Country band (The Gibson Miller Band). He's written songs for everyone from Gladys Knight to Neal McCoy... I asked him about everything from how he got involved in the music industry to where he thinks it's going in the future - and he answered all my questions with candor, humor and honesty.
- Stefan des Lauriers - Songwriter in Spotlight - There's a long history of songwriters writing through adversity - using their experiences to make a difference in others' lives. Stefan and his writing is no exception. He has channeled his creative energy in a unique and extremely rewarding way by writing songs for children. This is his story in his own words.
- Marc Corey Lee - Songwriter in Spotlight - Even in the age of the internet, it's a struggle for new and emerging artists to be heard. Here's an interview with a fellow who's taken matters into his own hands and has seen a great deal of success doing so.
- Chuck Leonard - Songwriter In Spotlight - Chuck has been writing songs for a good long while. He's had a great deal of success with it too - if 11 #1 hits is any indication. Here, he talks about his own songwriting and the business of songwriting as he understands it. Highly informative - especially for the Gospel and Country genres!
- Michael Laskow - president & founder of TAXI - Michael Laskow reveals how it all started and where TAXI is heading in the future.
- Nancy Falkow - Songwriter in Spotlight - Nancy's do it yourself attitude has helped her receive more press and attention than your average unsigned artist. She has shared stages with the likes of Sarah McLachlan, Patty Griffin, Indigo Girls, Dan Bern, Ron Sexsmith as well as many others. Here's what she had to say about her songwriting and the process of getting to where she is today.
- Shann Lee Parker - Songwriter in Spotlight - This dynamic singer/songwriter from the UK speaks out about songwriting - the process, the business, and how she's managed to keep her cool during some difficult times.
- Michael Robertson of MP3.com (by John Taglieri) - CEO In Spotlight - Mr. Robertson was kind enough to take the time to answer some questions regarding MP3.com, the technology in general and the suit that has been brought against them.
- Andrea White, Executive from Daemon - Indie Label in Spotlight - Ever wonder what it's like to be with an indie label? Or what might be required of you if you sign with one? Andrea very generously took some time from her busy schedule to answer those very questions...
- James Martin of PATHOS - Songwriter in Profile - PATHOS is a band I chose to spotlight not all that long ago. Their music and their songwriting really impressed me. When I found out James was the main songwriter for the group, I simply had to interview him. Where did all this great stuff COME from? I wanted to know - and I thought you would want to know too.
- Che Zuro - Songwriter In Profile - Enthusiastic Indiegrrl extrordinaire. You'll be hearing a lot from Che - I guarantee it! Her new CD just came out too. A great interview with a grrl who has a great deal of fun doing what she's doing.
- Mark Mangold - Songwriter In Profile - Mark has worked with a lot of great performers in his life (he's written a few hits for Michael Bolton, in fact) and really shines as a performer and songwriter on his own (he's a fantastic keyboardist too!). Read about his experiences and his hopes for the future...
- Michael Sherwood- Songwriter In Profile - When I heard this CD I knew I *had* to interview Michael. "Tangletown" is a wonderful piece of work and Michael & Julius' songwriting is the type of masterful creation that inspires. Here's what Michael has to say about his music making...
- Simon Steadman - Songwriter In Profile - From the UK Indie band STEADMAN - a group definitely making waves - without the help of a record company. And they *like* it that way. Read on to hear why.
- Travis E. Towle - Online Radio In Profile - An in-depth interview with the CEO/President & founder of both www.worldwide-radio.com & www.cosmicradio.com - in Real Audio!
- Brad Roberts of the Crash Test Dummies- Songwriter In Profile - This very talented singer/songwriter talks about his experiences and how they shape the music he creates.
- George Martin - Producer in Profile - Conducted by Steven Jay Zuckerman, this interview barely needs an introduction. Read on for an in-depth interview with this famous producer.
- River Crossing - conducted by Ben Ohmart - There's one band that's kicking some serious ___ online. They're using mp3.com and a host of other hosts and marketing tools to promote some music that's just so good, you wonder why it's still label-free.
- Cory Sipper - Songwriter In Profile - A talented singer/songwriter, and much more than a "girl with a guitar"!
- Lon Van Eaton - Songwriter In Profile - A 30 year veteran of the entertainment industry and Founder of IMAGINE A BETTER WORLD.
- Colleen Coadic - Songwriter In Profile - A very talented Alaskan songstress who has opened for some pretty exciting performers, the most recent being Ani DiFranco during her '97 tour.
- Jay Schankman - Creator of "The Concert Web" group of web sites - Here's your chance to get inside the head of the creator of one of one of the best sites for concert information and music resources on the web today. Read about how it started, his thoughts on music and the web & where The Concert Web sites are heading.
- Andreas Wuerfel - General Manager of Billboard Talent Net - Ever wonder what goes on behind the scenes at a place like Billboard Talent Net? Why not read through this extremely interesting interview and think about what such a service might be able to do for you.
- Sam Baardman - Songwriter In Profile - One of my favourites, and a songwriter who has also been featured in the Muse's "Sample Songs" section (and has received an *excellent* review for his new CD in Folk Roots Magazine!).
- Irene Jackson - Songwriter In Profile - Irene talks about her personal experiences and motivations as a songwriter.
- Paul Zollo - Songwriter In Profile - Author of "Songwriters on Songwriting" and a real authority on the process, besides being a talented songwriter himself.
- Alan Roy Scott - Songwriter In Profile - Founder of "Music Bridge" & Co-Founder of UNISONG, Alan has quite a lot to say about many topics including writing for the movies and tv, the collaborative process & the international song market.
- Steve Gillette - Songwriter In Profile - A wonderful interview with this award winning singer/songwriter & director and long time participant of The Kerrville Folk Festival.
- Doug Barr - Songwriter in Profile - An interview with this 20 year veteran of the children's music business, popular children's performer & songwriter.
- David Reiser - Songwriter in Profile - has written music & lyrics for theatre in over 40 productions since 1970. He has had several musicals performed in New York, Washington & Chicago and has worked with some of the best in the biz!
- Tom Meltzer - Songwriter in Profile - of the dynamic indie folk- pop-country band, 5 Chinese Brothers. Read what this talented artist has to say about being with an Indie and creating in a band.
- Mike Dalton - Songwriter in Profile - This talented pop artist has had his music played regularly on various daytime soaps and is a songwriter with singular determination.
- Jack Williams - Songwriter in Profile - Here's what this respected folk artist has to say about the evolution of his songwriting, his recording experiences, and the lessons he's learned throughout.