Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: The One Artist who started it all - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

New to the board? Introduce yourself! Let us get to know you. This is also a place where you can hold general conversations on music and Muse-related topics.
Page 1 of 1

The One Artist who started it all whats yours

#1 User is offline   porcupine Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Music, baseball, comedy, my wife and son

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:44 AM

A friend of mine and I were talking about our influences. Obviously, you could be influenced on guitar or piano by one person, lyrics by another and so forth, but it was very hard for us to come up with the ONE artist that made us want to be a musician/songwriter/lyricist.

I said, jokingly, "...for me it was the Bay City Rollers, because I thought I could do better than that...lol".

So the question is two parts

1) who do you think influenced your music the most?

2) who have people SAID you sound/write like that has surprised you?(vocally, lyrically)

my answers:

1) JOHN HIATT
2) NEAL DIAMOND
#1 song on Onstage.com's Holiday Playlist in Nov 2011 "Could This Be Christmas"
#5 song on Onstage.com's Open for Bon Jovi in May of 2010 "Turn It Down"
recorded and produced songs with several grammy winners and nominees
songs writen have been recorded by The Standard, Wooden Nickel, Jody Stapler and Prototype
see more of my music at charlieeschbach.com

#2 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 10:50 AM

1.) Dave Matthews / Dave Matthews Band - by far the biggest influence on my music as a whole, even when all I did was play drums

2.) The Tragically Hip - I am a huge, huge fan of this band but never really heard the influence in my own tunes, I get the comparison a lot though (to which saying I'm flattered by would be a huge understatement) I think it's mainly musically/melodically, I don't think my lyrics come anywhere near Gord Downie's.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#3 User is offline   Duane Clancy Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 02:46 PM

It was a girl I hooked up with after a divorce who got me started ... she wrote me a poem and I just had to reciprocate. That was in 2003 and I've been writing ever since. I've been told I look like "Shaggy" from the Scooby-doo cartoons (especially if I forget to shave) ... I write like whomever I want ... and my voice sounds more like a combination of Bon Scott from early AC/DC, Tom Petty, and Rod Stewart. But I was told by the owner of a kareoke club I was playing at that I should only sing Rod Stewart songs because no matter who I tried to sing like it sounded like Rod Stewart trying to impersonate everyone else. Hey ... that all just makes me well rounded ...

#4 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:10 PM

That would be Richard Rodgers.
My memory is singed with the TV series ďVictory At SeaĒ.
I guess I was 5 years old at the time and I remember that we had one of the first TV sets around, since my Dad,
who was a disabled Vet and worked for the DOD got to quality control lots of electrical equipment back then.

I can remember how the music and the visuals from the TV provided a moving metaphor of War and Hell, Peace and Heaven,
sometimes changing from one extreme to the other in such a short time frame.
The emotions that I was feeling as I listened and watched are still with me to this day and it was my first encounter with just how powerful music can be.
I knew then that music would always be a part of my life.

While these (youtube link) are not the visuals that went with the TV series, this is the best audio of the work that I could find.
The original episodes of the TV series are on youtube we well, if youíre interested.

I donít really sound like anyone else, and thatís good because I donít consider myself a singer. But some have said that I write in the style of Seal.

"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#5 User is offline   Kenneth Bradshaw Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 06:29 PM

1) Harry Belafonte
2) The actor/drummer who played Little Ricky on I love Lucy

DannyDep,

I love Richard Rogers' music. But have you ever had to play it? I remember a miserable concert of Richard Rogers' music when I was playing the string bass. Hours of two chord music - mostly Bflat & F7.

#6 User is offline   MABBO Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Talking about, teaching, participating in writing, performing, recording and all things pertaining to music in general, Nashville, Tn. in particular.

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:31 PM

One name. RAY CHARLES.

MAB

#7 User is offline   zmulls Icon

• Tell the truth, but lie about it
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:47 PM

Stephen Sondheim
Dave Frishberg
Paul Simon

Pretty much covers the bases for me.
ZMULLS.COM Avatar Photo by Diana (used with permission) *****

Muses Muse 2006 Lyric of the Year winner -- Four Widows

2007 ISC Grand Prize Winner & 2007 Great American Song Contest Winner Best Rock/Alt Song for "I'm Not Your Friend" written with Eduard Glumov

You are an overexcited little man with a need for self-expression far beyond your natural gifts. This is not discreditable. Neither does it make you an artist. (from TRAVESTIES by Tom Stoppard)

It's a nice song. But where's the chick? (Frank Sinatra, according to Dave Frishberg)

#8 User is offline   DeeDee Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:songwriting, music, psychology, reading, food, wine, movies, television and comedy

Posted 28 April 2012 - 04:16 AM

Blondie, Abba and Elvis :)

#9 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:32 PM

My uncle gave me an old reel to reel with some tapes. You could seperate what you were listening to into 4 tracks I remember. I had Revolver, Rubber Soul, and magical mystery tour along with some Neil Diamond. I was a huge beatles freak after that and bought up any 45's or 33's I could get. After that there were many phases I went through Zepp, ACDC, and many others. Always came back to the Beatles as a touchstone though. My Rush phase is still going strong and recently I've decided there are some cool things the Stones did. I'm all over the place musically but the Bealtes are it for me. Cliche and cheesy I'm sure as it is everyone's but it is what it is...

#10 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 06:12 PM

This was a tough thing to come up with, the obvious answers for me just didn't seem to sit right, all of them being from my teens, Hendrix, Zappa, Young, yada yada...

I just felt that it had to be prior to that, and I think it was probably when I was around 9 years old, when I was watching the "Jonny Quest" cartoon on TV.

It was that jazzy music score for the intro and the outro of that show, for some reason it just clicked with me and I think it has been running around deep down in my subconscious ever since.

The composer of that music, Hoyt Curtin - http://www.youtube.c...ature=endscreen

Wiki-

In a 1999 interview Curtin said, "My pianist, Jack Cookerly, invented the synthesizer as we know it for Johnny Quest. It was made of orange crates with a keyboard and thousands of vacuum tubes! A regular jazz band, (of) 4 trumpets, 6 [trom]bones, 5 woodwind doublers, 5-man rhythm section including percussion"; was used to record the music for the Johnny Quest cartoon. The Johnny Quest session was done "...at RCA in Hollywood. Alvin Stoller or Frankie Capp usually played drums. I always tried to get the same guys where possible. They were the ones who could swing and read like demons."

When I think back, there was a lot of great jazz music scores playing on tv in the sixties, that was probably the biggest influence on me.

2) who do I sound like ? Please, let's not go there.
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#11 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

View PostKenneth Bradshaw, on 27 April 2012 - 07:29 PM, said:

1) Harry Belafonte
2) The actor/drummer who played Little Ricky on I love Lucy

DannyDep,

I love Richard Rogers' music. But have you ever had to play it? I remember a miserable concert of Richard Rogers' music when I was playing the string bass. Hours of two chord music - mostly Bflat & F7.
Not as part of an orchestra.
But right up till the last band i was in, we were always playing songs like,
It Might As Well Be Spring and My Funny Valentine.
As i recall, there were more than two chords to follow in those songs.
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#12 User is offline   kimberlyinnc Icon

• Amused Muses Muser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, music, dance, but first is family, faith and my dogs

Posted 30 April 2012 - 09:34 AM

Great question and one hard to answer :)

1) who do you think influenced your music the most? I think the one that made me sit up and notice LYRICS more is Mary Chapin Carpenter, Shelby Lynne and as late, Kelly Clarkson and Lady GaGa.

2) who have people SAID you sound/write like that has surprised you?(vocally, lyrically)

I have been told a couple of times that my lyric style reminded them of Mary Chapin Carpenter, and they didn't know I was a huge fan and it made my day. If I could write even a 10th as well as she does, I would be thrilled. :P
Also, I have been told I reminded them of, though I am NOT a singer, Lucinda Williams. for one, and Cheryl Wheeler. I don't hear it but its a compliment as well.

Kimberly
KimberlyinNC
"Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots"
****My Songwriting Website****
www.littleikepublishing.com

#13 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• ... but you turn right over to the T.V. page
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 04 May 2012 - 03:03 AM

Most definitely The Beatles for me, particularly from Rubber Soul onwards, but in those days I was more interested in how stuff was recorded rather then songwriting.

I think I sound like Davy Jones but a lot of people (particularly from the US) say I sound like Peter Noone (Hermanís Hermits). Although I would like to sound more like Gary Brooker or Don Henley :)

#14 User is offline   DCW Icon

• Bassist for Curdhurler
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Creating music, abstract painting; digging old exploitation films,

Posted 07 May 2012 - 09:59 PM

View PostFunkDaddy, on 27 April 2012 - 11:50 AM, said:

2.) The Tragically Hip - I am a huge, huge fan of this band but never really heard the influence in my own tunes, I get the comparison a lot though (to which saying I'm flattered by would be a huge understatement) I think it's mainly musically/melodically, I don't think my lyrics come anywhere near Gord Downie's.

Do you know the Gordon Downey song "Escape is at Hand for the Travelling Man?" It's about his meeting with Jim Ellison at a show in the 1990's. Jim Ellison didn't "start it all" for me, but he's done enough to cause me to seek out and literally uncover his gravestone on a rainy Sunday.

As far as "starting it all". It's a lame and unoriginal answer, but The Beatles. I got the "Red Album" when I was in Junior High. I'd put on disc 1 side 1, daydream until the end of the groove, flip over, and continue through all 4 sides. That was the first time I was compelled to want to write melodies of my own (as opposed to playing toy guitar or something).

Of course, the Beatles will lead you to a plethora of similar good influences-Big Star, Dwight Twilley Band, Raspberries, Badfinger, and so on.

The inspiration that made me "come into my own" as a songwriter was Lou Reed. I remember after the first practice with my second, and favorite, band in which I played, the other songwriter got out the new reissue of "The Velvet Underground and Nico" and played "Heroin" and "Venus in Furs" for me. Those were the most terrifying, transgressive songs that I'd ever heard, heavier than Motley Crue or any other metal that I had previously been into. That was the point at which the lyrics began to matter. Never before had heard lyrics that affecting and well-constructed. Still impossible to beat.

Beatles and Velvets, it is.

#15 User is offline   CToronto Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 12 May 2012 - 01:43 AM

A couple people have separated their influences between who they wanted to sound like and who they wanted to be understood as. I make the same definition but for me, it's the same artist.

When I was younger I fell in love with the sound of a singer's voice and wanted nothing more in the world than to be able to physically sound like him. It wasn't until I started writing my own songs and wanting the songs to be more important than the sound of my voice that I started looking for other qualities. What really opened my mind artistically was listening to the commentary track of a DVD special edition album. He wrote an entire album about a single topic but was able to make every song different because they were written from completely different points of view. Some were what he believed, some were what his enemies believed, some were written from the point of view of people that loved him but didn't understand him, and some were written from the point of view of the inanimate objects that he couldn't live without.

I've tried many times to get people to understand just how complicated Maynard James Keenan's(Tool, A Perfect Circle, Puscifer) songs can be and very rarely have any success. If I ever manage to inspire someone half as much as he did me....

#16 User is offline   NickSpangler Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip
  • Interests:I love sports, games, drawing, but mostly music. Writing is my passion, it has saved my life time and time again, and hopefully one day my songs will be brought to life! :) and ill start playing guitar.

Posted 13 May 2012 - 10:35 AM

My first influence as a young kid was metallica, but my most influential became alice in chains and layne staley. Still inspirational to this day...
"I've always looked for the perfect life to step into. I've taken all the paths to get where I wanted.But no matter where I go, I still come home me."

#17 User is offline   oxe57 Icon

• oxe57
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, writing, music, people, poetry-

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:20 AM

Good question and one that I've never thought about. I would say the one artist who got me to consider being an artist myself would be Stevie Wonder. Bob Dylan would be a close second. Stevie instilled a feeling of determination and Dylan made me focus on content. Good topic. All the best....................peace!
"the question is much more powerful than the answer" . . .

Music with meaning at: http://www.soundclick.com/solide

Lyrics, poetry, screenplays etc. at: http://www.storymani...o...nsR&alpha=E

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users