Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: One Day, Two Hearts - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Forum Rules

>Please use the “Forum Guidelines” link at the top of the screen to read General Policies.
>Remember that these songs are only going to be kept up here a maximum of 30 days. Keep a backup of your work.

Rules for Posting a Song:
1) Please critique 2 or more songs for every song you post.
2) Please post only one song per day.
3) Please keep it tasteful i.e. no overt sexuality or obscene, offensive language, etc.
4) Please indicate the intended genre below the title of your song, and also what kind of a critique you're after. Is this a song that you'll be promoting commercially? Is it a song you wrote simply because you wanted to and you'd like to make it better? The more info people have, the better they'll be able to give you the kind of feedback you're after. And please PLEASE note - if you're not really after critique at all, don't post here. The Artist's Cafe is happy to hear your completed songs. This is the place to post if you want honest feedback and are prepared to take what is given (what you do with it, is of course, up to you).
5) Please post the lyrics along with the clickable link to your song's music.
6) Only post songs you have written or have permission to post. Please don't post cover songs.
7) It is polite to acknowledge critiques, but please don’t overdo it by “bumping” your thread to the top too frequently.
8) If you revise the song, please give a date and post on the same thread, or folks will unknowingly still comment on the old one.
9) Please be sure to visit other areas of the board to both learn and spread your knowledge.

Rules for Critiquing a Song:
1) The purpose of this forum is to promote better song writing by providing encouragement and constructive feedback focused on improvement. Strive to be courteous and respectful in your critiques, keeping in mind that we all come to this forum with different perspectives, genre preferences and levels of experience.
2) Offer constructive criticism and suggestions you think may help the writer make the most of his or her vision of where they want to go with their song.
3) If you think something really works, say so. Make an attempt to say why you think it does. If you see areas you think could be improved, explain why you believe they need improvement and offer suggestions, if you have any.

Anonymity often helps us forget that there is a person at the other end of our critique. Imagine, if you can, that you are speaking to the writer face to face.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1

One Day, Two Hearts April song contest entry

#1 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Adding a few more degrees to this sultry night with the sound of my lonely saxophone, from out of a cheap, 5th floor, hotel room window, located just underneath some old, neon billboard.....you know, the kind that has a few of the lights just blinking.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:03 PM

There was an awesome bunch of songs in this April's Song contest.....I'm hoping that all will post thier songs..(just Jason's, "Waristan" and mine now)so that we can get some "feedback" on the rhymes and reasons.

I'm not sure if my song was ever posted here, before this contest......I joined the Muse very late last year! So here it is....I'm hoping that the other songs in the contest will post thier's here, as well. B) -Tom

“One Day, Two Hearts”
By Tom Tognaci

http://soundclick.co...cfm?id=10624668

One look,
One breath,
It’s how it all had begun
One heart,
One love,
No number as lonely as one
One wish,
One day,
Two hearts will beat as one

Be still,
Take care,
Spring smells sweet in the air
Your time,
Will come,
Enjoy the time taking you there
One wish,
One day,

Be still my child…you’ve awoken
The green still colors your eyes
Your heart’s unbridled, nor broken
‘Till now it’s all been dreams and butterflies

One moon,
One sun,
A million stars hum along
One chorus,
One verse,
Heaven has now heard your song
One wish,
One day,
"I Know The Truth By My Struggle Against It"

#2 User is online   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

I love this. Very cool simple tune but not so simple when you break into all that is going on with it. I can't crit it cause I think you did what you wanted with it and it worked.

#3 User is offline   Wolf Kier Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 02:34 AM

Really lovely, Tom.
I'm loving the folky vibe. Nothing I can add here.
Great job I enjoyed the listen. Perfect Sunday morning soundtrack.
wolf.

BTW why are there 2 threads for this song? Am I missing something?

#4 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Adding a few more degrees to this sultry night with the sound of my lonely saxophone, from out of a cheap, 5th floor, hotel room window, located just underneath some old, neon billboard.....you know, the kind that has a few of the lights just blinking.

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:47 AM

-Hey there Scotto...............Thanks for the comment, Scotto!!

-And thank you, too, Wolf..................the second post was done inadvertantly :P

B) -Tom

#5 Guest_bernabby_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:42 AM

View PostIronknee, on 21 April 2012 - 07:03 PM, said:

There was an awesome bunch of songs in this April's Song contest.....I'm hoping that all will post thier songs..(just Jason's, "Waristan" and mine now)so that we can get some "feedback" on the rhymes and reasons.

I'm not sure if my song was ever posted here, before this contest......I joined the Muse very late last year! So here it is....I'm hoping that the other songs in the contest will post thier's here, as well. B) -Tom

“One Day, Two Hearts”
By Tom Tognaci

http://soundclick.co...cfm?id=10624668

One look,
One breath,
It’s how it all had begun
One heart,
One love,
No number as lonely as one
One wish,
One day,

Be still,
Take care,
Spring smells sweet in the air
Your time,
Will come,
Enjoy the time taking you there
One wish,
One day,

Be still my child…you’ve awoken
The green still colors your eyes
Your heart’s unbridled, nor broken
‘Till now it’s all been dreams and butterflies

One moon,
One sun,
A million stars hum along
One chorus,
One verse,
Heaven has now heard your song
One wish,
One day,

Enoyed this song. Liked the harmonies. The kind of tune that stays with you. I thought v1 would have been more climatic if moved to the end.

#6 User is offline   Ian Ferrin Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

Really lovely little tune.

I like the tune. Very immediate sound. The sound is very effective.

The only thing I didn't like is the extraneous noise... especially at the beginning. I DON'T like that that noise is the first thing you hear.

Really nice tune. Really enjoyed it.

Peace,

Ian
Ian's Soundclick Page

"Hammers don't build houses. People build houses.

A hammer is just a tool. But it's a powerful tool" - me

#7 User is offline   RickDieffenbach Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:46 PM

Same as Ian ^^ except the starting noise.

Rick

#8 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:19 PM

"Enoyed this song. Liked the harmonies. The kind of tune that stays with you. I thought v1 would have been more climatic if moved to the end.".....Bernabby

Hi Bernabby, thanks for commenting!...........not so inclined with changing things around...but I appreciate your perspective. Thanks again!! B) -Tom

#9 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Hi Ian...thanks for the nice comments......I'm a beginner with regards to recording...and only decided to record myself because others wanted exhorbant sums of money for their time and recording prowess. I decided to record, out of a need to get my music out , and in a comprehensive manner. I just want to get my ideas out there....I wasn't really thinking about making super Demos....or super records. I just want good demo's of great writing.
(I've got a lot of work ahaed of me).
I am, slowly,cleaning things up, a bit. These comps are compelling me to, not only write better songs,....but to get the best recording, as possable (But in my heart of hearts,I still feel a better song is still far more stimulating than a great arrangement).
Thanks again, Ian!!
B) -Tom

#10 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 April 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostRickDieffenbach, on 25 April 2012 - 07:46 AM, said:

Same as Ian ^^ except the starting noise.

Rick

Hey there Rick...."Ditto" works fine by me!! :P
Thanks for commentiong! :) -Tom

#11 User is offline   gerrybhoy Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 26 April 2012 - 04:12 AM

Love the lyrics, the song is presented beautifully, very simple and effective, lovely backing vocals, a good listen, would benefit from tidying up the non musical content.
singerysongwritery type individual a natural born weegieburger and lover of black country dogs

#12 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:31 AM

View Postgerrybhoy, on 25 April 2012 - 11:12 PM, said:

Love the lyrics, the song is presented beautifully, very simple and effective, lovely backing vocals, a good listen, would benefit from tidying up the non musical content.

Hey there gerrybhoy.........thanks for the comments!! I'll be doing some editing on this!
B) -Tom

#13 User is offline   John Sophy Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:03 AM

This is beautiful song. Great harmonies very much like simon and garfunkel. Nice song idea with the title of 2 hearts and the repeating on the lines.

#14 User is offline   porcupine Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, baseball, comedy, my wife and son

Posted 27 April 2012 - 07:33 PM

Beautiful song.

Harmonies are very "Teach your children well"-like, so if there was any crit I have, it sound very familiar. Not that its not original, but people will say...that sounds like.

I ok with the title, although it is a bit cliche'....If you keep the title, IMO you have to do something that distracts from that or attracts our attention elsewhere. The basic arrangement (except for vocals), keeps me waiting for something unique to happen.

For me, I do like the song because i LOVE great harmonies.

porcupine
#1 song on Onstage.com's Holiday Playlist in Nov 2011 "Could This Be Christmas"
#5 song on Onstage.com's Open for Bon Jovi in May of 2010 "Turn It Down"
recorded and produced songs with several grammy winners and nominees
songs writen have been recorded by The Standard, Wooden Nickel, Jody Stapler and Prototype
see more of my music at charlieeschbach.com

#15 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The intriguingly beautifully strange.
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 28 April 2012 - 01:40 AM

Such a sweet gentle melodic piece. The harmonies were beautiful and perfect for this.
I must admit, when I READ the "two hearts beat as one" it sounded cliche but like David said, when you listen it just seems right!
Enjoyed the listen Tom.

#16 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:27 AM

-Hey there HoboSage......thanks sooo much for commenting....I don't worry about cliche's, as long as they are used well, and in a fresh way. If it works really well, I just can't resist. Many times, in a draft, they are there, and are written out when I move forward to later drafts. I'm happy you like it :) Thanks again.............. B) -Tom

-And hey there John.........thanks for commenting......Thanks for comparing my stuff to S & G....they are one of my favorites!! Thanks again......... B) -Tom

#17 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:31 AM

View Postporcupine, on 27 April 2012 - 02:33 PM, said:

Beautiful song.

Harmonies are very "Teach your children well"-like, so if there was any crit I have, it sound very familiar. Not that its not original, but people will say...that sounds like.

I ok with the title, although it is a bit cliche'....If you keep the title, IMO you have to do something that distracts from that or attracts our attention elsewhere. The basic arrangement (except for vocals), keeps me waiting for something unique to happen.

For me, I do like the song because i LOVE great harmonies.

porcupine

Hey there Porc......I'm always trying for unique.........it's unique from me B)
Thanks for stopping by, and commenting!! -Tom

#18 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

View PostDesertrose, on 27 April 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

Such a sweet gentle melodic piece. The harmonies were beautiful and perfect for this.
I must admit, when I READ the "two hearts beat as one" it sounded cliche but like David said, when you listen it just seems right!
Enjoyed the listen Tom.

Thanks DesertRose.........So glad you liked the tune. This one came out, as I was in the middle of writting two others....just sorta popped out.....the lyric, although cliche, was just right.....I didn't think this an epic piece (as I do with most else :P ) and so I let the lyric stand.
Thanks again D............. B) -Tom

#19 User is offline   TamsNumber4 Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 May 2012 - 02:14 PM

So silly that yet again I'm sitting here listening to this song.

That is the life of a fan, this is on my i-pod and I play it all the time,

but I'll listen to it when the opportunity arises....

Tom knows I love it, and I haven't changed my mind.....

Tammy
Visit my SoundClick site for songs

~Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time.~

Professor Albus Dumbledore: Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

#20 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

Thanks Tams for the encourgement!!! B) -Tom

#21 User is offline   daryl1968 Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 10:44 AM

very nice - love it. No crits here

#22 User is offline   Middleground Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 02:45 PM

Fantastic!
As mentioned sounds alot like a Simon & Garfunkel song, but I can also hear it as a Lennon / McCartney song.
Fantastic vocals...
Well done!

#23 User is online   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Living in my mythic song dreamworld as much as possible..

Posted 05 May 2012 - 02:57 PM

Enjoyable song Tom..Creates a serene kinda mood i do like -especially with the short lines and reverby production with cool harmonies.. and the 'No number as lonely as one' vocal-line is really cool n obviously inspired - my favourite part of the song..
I was thinking to myself why- altho i can enjoy this and hear its well crafted -i can't really give myself to it and love it..I think that for all the good bits you've got here - all the main resolutions are a little too sugary n obvious for my taste..
Still the mid 8 'Be still my child you've awoken' is good natural phrasing -and i admire your simplicity chord-wise with the writing -searching to create something fresh n inspired there......

#24 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:20 AM

-Thanks Daryl for stopping by!!

-And thank you, as well, Middleground.......The Beatles and S&G are two of my all time fav's

-And thank you too Steve....I wrote this for my 14 year old neice....and she is very sugary sweet!!

Thanks all B) -Tom

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users