Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Making my House Concert debut - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

What do you do to avoid stage jitters? How do you come up with banter in between your songs? How do you keep your voice or your fingers from giving out halfway through? This forum is for discussions about live performance issues both with yourself, and with other artists that you admire. For instance, has any particular performer inspired you when you watched him or her perform? Have you played a particular venue that hugely impressed you? Are you the owner of a venue that accepts Indie acts? Let's talk about it!
Page 1 of 1

Making my House Concert debut

#1 User is offline   zmulls Icon

• I know the value of a kindly chorus
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:35 PM

I've been working on a song project with Michael Ronstadt (folk-jazz-rock cellist, member of "Ronstadt Generations," Linda's nephew) out here in PA. It's going to be a set of 6 songs that we will probably do as a digital EP. It's slow work as Michael is very busy and the songs are a little complicated.

Michael is doing a House Concert in Ambler this Saturday night (6/28), at the home of a mutual friend (other collaborators of ours who have their own studio). He's doing a lot of his solo work, and featuring a few of his collaborators. We'll be premiering at least one, and probably two of our songs that are ready to perform.

As it happens, I've wound up as the lead vox in all the songs. Not sure how we fell into that, but I'm turning on my performer circuits.

I've done a lot of theatre work, including musicals and cabarets. So I've sung in public, but it's always been in a theatrical context. This will be my debut as a musician/songwriter in a music venue setting.

Anyone who's dying to see it, there's a pay-per-view option, available below. Michael is brilliant and well worth checking out for his own sake.

http://www.thrivesta...onstadt/PPV.htm
ZMULLS.COM Muses Muse 2006 Lyric of the Year winner -- Four Widows

2007 ISC Grand Prize Winner & 2007 Great American Song Contest Winner Best Rock/Alt Song for "I'm Not Your Friend" written with Eduard Glumov

Z.'s Songwriting Guidelines:

• Tell the truth, but lie about it
  • There are no rules, but you have to follow them

"...when Joan Kennedy tells you something, you will accept it entirely at face value as the unalloyed truth that it is" -- George Washington

#2 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• Grandaddy Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:29 AM

Congratulations Zmulls.

I can't help but think with your stage experience, you'll have very little problem performing in an music venue setting.

Break a leg. Posted Image
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#3 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 12:56 PM

Merde!
Hip Pocket Music

"It is the best of all trades to make songs...
and the second best to sing them"

Hillaire Belloc

“SONG is the joint art of words and music, two arts under emotional pressure coalescing into a third.
The relation and balance of the two arts is a problem that has to be resolved anew in every song that is composed.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica

#4 User is online   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:44 PM

Sounds wonderful, Z!

I'm sure you'll be great. Who knows? Maybe that performer circuit will stay switched on! :)
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#5 User is offline   zmulls Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 April 2012 - 11:46 PM

Thank you all.

Alistair, the irony is that I took up writing a number of years ago because I was damn sick of performing. My how the worm turns.

2007 ISC Grand Prize Winner & 2007 Great American Song Contest Winner Best Rock/Alt Song for "I'm Not Your Friend" written with Eduard Glumov

"...when Joan Kennedy tells you something, you will accept it entirely at face value as the unalloyed truth that it is" -- George Washington

#6 User is offline   zmulls Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:25 PM

Both triumphant and anticlimactic. This concert series usually averages 15-20 people, sometimes more and sometimes less. This time is was under the average. Only 8 people (3 of whom were my cousin, his wife and her friend) came to see it. Michael does have a few die-hard fans but they couldn't make this date.

So it was a good "test run" for our material. Michael had one of his more regular collaborators, David Trotta, along with their frequent harmonica-ist James Dalton, and they did a lot of the evening (either doing their songs or backing each other up). The night was mainly a showcase for Michael's solo and collaborative work.

I came on for my two songs and it's very different performing behind the mic, but I kept my focus and sold my songs. The few people who were there reacted well, though I think the two songs had different groups of fans. One woman, who I had met before at other concerts there, toasted me in the kitchen on "Little Jack Horner," which another young woman told me that "Falling Angels" was very deep. Different strokes.

The guy who owns the studio (and the house) does videotape but rarely posts anything; I haven't gotten much of a response as to whether I'll be able to obtain and/or post any video. I certainly will if I get the chance.

The young woman who liked the second song, who was there for the first time, is a songwriter/guitarist herself (though she's in a full-time doctoral program as her 'primary' occupation), and she introduced me last night to a local and cozy weekly open mic just ten minutes from my house. While I can't perform regularly (not without hiring or otherwise engaging a guitar player) I'll drop in there from time to time.

I think everyone with any experience on this board knows, any "success" in this songwriting game comes from Showing Up and Meeting People.

Michael was very enthusiastic about the performance and is looking forward to resuming our writing regimen. As we finish the six songs we will look for opportunities to perform them more. So I hope to report back in several months with more experiences and hopefully a video or two.

#7 User is offline   zmulls Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

Oh, and the young guitarist/songwriter I met up with at the open mic last night will probably be showing up here sometime this weekend. She was looking for ways to get good feedback on songs and I told her this was the place.....

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users