Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: What makes you happy about writing and playing music, poetry - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

Where do you get your inspiration? What books have you read or seminars have you attended that helped you in this respect? Are there any specific techniques you use to get you writing? Feel free to discuss any of the creative aspects of songwriting in this forum. You can also use this forum to help inspire and to challenge yourselves. Make suggestions for song topics, talk about titles, discuss the differences between poetry and song lyrics, etc. Enjoy!
Page 1 of 1

What makes you happy about writing and playing music, poetry Why do you write or play music or poetry

#1 User is offline   Theresa Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:46 PM

What is the best thing about writing, playing music and poetry

Theresa

Thought it might be interesting to share our individual reasons etc

#2 User is offline   paradise dismissed Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:09 PM

it's about the only thing keeping me somewhat sane

#3 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The intriguingly beautifully strange.
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

It's a good excuse to avoid doing housework?

Happy because it's a way to tune out stuff/thoughts/worries/life.
I find it hard to not THINK. My mind is constantly talking,analysing,rehashing.
To sit down and focus on putting the puzzle pieces together using music is like an enforced meditation. For me the process is actually more rewarding than the actual finished song, which I soon fall out of love with and abandon with ruthless ease.

And you Theresa?

#4 User is offline   Duane Clancy Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 11:24 AM

It allows all my multiple personalities to have a voice ... sure don't want them to think they are not a part of a collective ... strange things happen when one of your sides tries to take things out on the others

#5 User is offline   Theresa Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

Yes Desertrose ..I agree. The process is most rewarding. It's like a "comfort zone"
And I love sharing what I write with others. That makes me happy ..especially when
someone connects with something I've written..

It must be amazing to write and play music. The closest I get is when a tune in my head and a lyric come to me at the same time...I feel truly blessed to have poetry
in my life.

For me it's a passion. I guess I write because I must.

Take care
Theresa

#6 User is offline   NickSpangler Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip
  • Interests:I love sports, games, drawing, but mostly music. Writing is my passion, it has saved my life time and time again, and hopefully one day my songs will be brought to life! :) and ill start playing guitar.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

The thing about writing for me is, its the epiphanies i seem to find sometimes at the end of a song, whether they are small-scale or large-scale. Like everything i needed to find was discovered by myself. The feeling you get from that is extraordinary because it makes that feeling of human limitation seem non-existent.
"I've always looked for the perfect life to step into. I've taken all the paths to get where I wanted.But no matter where I go, I still come home me."

#7 User is offline   spanishbuddha Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Lyric writing, travel, jogging, walking, nature & the outdoors, meditation, Jet the cat, and reading books on a variety of subjects.

Posted 11 May 2012 - 03:56 PM

The best thing about writing for me, is it gives me an outlet to express what it is I'm feeling at that moment. Writing also allows me to channel my creative juices, whether it's personal experience or otherwise.

#8 User is offline   oxe57 Icon

• oxe57
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, writing, music, people, poetry-

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:31 PM

One of the things I enjoy about writing is the feedback I get. I've had some tell me they really enjoy what I write and that I have a distinct style of writing and I've had others tell me don't quit your day job. What I probably enjoy most is to write something and then watch as others debate what I've written, now that is the ultimate for me. Being the topic of discussion really floats my boat but one must be careful what one asks for.
the whisper of a devil is louder than the scream of an angel-

Music with meaning at: http://www.soundclick.com/solide

Lyrics, poetry, screenplays etc. at: http://www.storymani...o...nsR&alpha=E

#9 User is offline   Miles15 Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 18 February 2013 - 03:31 PM

It`s a fun way to express myself, I get to say how I feel, about different things. It`s also a challenge, some songs are easy, others I grow bored of trying to finish. When you finally finish a tough one it does feel great!

Also I agree with paradise it keeps me sane

#10 User is offline   larry_iam Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music and stuff.

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:11 PM

Sane? Who wants to be sane? Music helps me escape from the insanity of the "sane" world we live in.
If it sounds good, it is good.

#11 User is offline   Onewholovesrock Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Photography, Motorcycling, Good Beer.

Posted 24 February 2013 - 11:41 PM

What's the best thing about it? Good question. I'm not sure I have an answer.

It takes up a lot of time I should probably be doing something else. It's like having a part time job that I don't really get paid for anymore. Lol.

It sometimes keeps me up at night because I have a stupid idea I can't get out of my head. So finally I end up getting out of bed to write down all the ideas.

Then I work on the music and lyrics until everything finally seams to fall into place. Then it usually takes awhile but I finally talk myself into recording one of those ideas (songs). Then after recording the idea, spend more time on the mixing and whatnot. Then burn it down and listen to it for awhile and realize it probably needs a lot more work. Then when its finally to a point where I think its pretty good. A few people here on the Muse will get to listen to it and after that. I'll probably do a little more touch up in the studio. Then nobody else will ever probably listen to it again. Then for some reason, I'll do it again, then again, then agian, Lol.

So I'm not sure what the best thing about it is? But for some odd reason. I guess its something I have to do. I can't figure out a way to stop. Then throw on top of that the other creative hobbies I have. Never ending.

Sometimes I feel blessed to have a creative mind but more and more I'm starting to feel like it might be a curse.

Sorry for the long comment. Lol

#12 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:00 PM

Wonder how I missed this one.

Writing music, more so than playing it, allows me to speak a language, musically, that I feel more comfortable in doing rather than speaking verbally.
It is my most comfortable communications medium.
It is also less expensive, although my wife may not agree <_< , than paying a shrink.
But you asked what makes me happy so we'll leaver her out of it. B)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.