Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Word Choices - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

You're ready to turn your lyrics or music into a song, congratulations! Now what? You may even have married lyrics and melody, but your song needs marriage counseling. Here you can learn how to craft a melody, by itself or to lyrics; tweak your lyrics to fit the music; write lyrics to an existing melody; how to add chords to your song. You can also find discussions and lessons on the finer points of music and lyrics that will help you develop your skills.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Word Choices what not to do

#1 User is offline   porcupine Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Music, baseball, comedy, my wife and son

Posted 13 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Ok,
I had a songwriting session where the lyrics that were written were very difficult to sing. some words just dont lend well to singing, although when read they are fine.

Which led to me ask this question:

Are there some words that you tend to avoid using either because they are hard to sing well or just simply over-used or cliche?

Porcupine
#1 song on Onstage.com's Holiday Playlist in Nov 2011 "Could This Be Christmas"
#5 song on Onstage.com's Open for Bon Jovi in May of 2010 "Turn It Down"
recorded and produced songs with several grammy winners and nominees
songs writen have been recorded by The Standard, Wooden Nickel, Jody Stapler and Prototype
see more of my music at charlieeschbach.com

#2 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Living in my mythic song dreamworld as much as possible..

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

Charlie..If i'm going for a walk trying to write a lyric for a song ,i'm playing the lyrics i'm writing constantly against the tune i've got -so can hear instantly in my head if something dosn't sound right or have a good flow..

I wouldn't not use any words -but phrases-no..Like i use the word 'Love' happily in a song but probably wouldn't write 'i'll love you forever' as that phrase is cliche..

#3 User is offline   Kenneth Bradshaw Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:47 PM

Yes. If I constantly stumble over a word I try to change it or sometimes the entire phrase. I just did that a couple of times with "When a Songbird Breaks Its Heart". None of the changes significatly changed the message, but the flow was smoother and the imagery improved.

#4 User is offline   MABBO Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Talking about, teaching, participating in writing, performing, recording and all things pertaining to music in general, Nashville, Tn. in particular.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Charlie,

They pretty much have it right here. There are a lot of words I prefer to stay away from, songs about songs, cowboy's, angels, being out in the country, all the kind of cliche's that you hear too much of and I'll even admit that Palacio is right about a lot of things sounding contrived and the same. He is right.
But if I can't SPEAK it, I rarely will say it.

There are also rhymes that I will try to avoid. Heart-Apart, True-Blue, Eyes-Realize, Love and Above. There are quite a few, but mostly I just try to ask "Have I heard this a billion times before and can't WAIT to hear it again? If it seems overdone, I am going to do my best to avoid it. But every once in a while, they will come out from someone in a way I didn't think about and be fairly cool. If you can see your reflection in your Gold and Platinum records, you can get away with a lot more than most people can.

MAB

#5 User is offline   Duane Clancy Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:37 PM

I'd have to say that "usually" if a word is difficult to say along with another word in a phrase, then it is better to come up with another way to say it. But many times a certain word is just right and no matter how else you phrase it ... that old word is still the "right" word to say. There are techniques of holding your mouth in certain positions that will allow you to say words together that would be almost impossible to say together in other positions.

There are very many bluegrass, hoe-down, squaredance ... etc songs that use sequences of words that would be very difficult to pronunciate and sing if the bottom jaw was not held in a strict position and the words pronounced by only using the lips and tongue (with little to no jaw movement). Of course, this does account for many of that style of songs to end up sounding like the singer has a dip in his lip :-) (pretending to have a dip is also a good way to get in character while singing some of those style songs too) This is also one of the methods that autioneers use to enable them to rapid-fire off some of the long strings of sounds that are commonplace to their style of singing.

An exercise that I found also works to change the way a singer vocalizes certain sounds is to sing in a language that you are not familiar with. The construction of sentenses in "Spanish", for an example, lead to many sounds that don't go well together at all in "English" ... using this method of practicing alternate sounds and forms helps a singer to expand their ability to shift mouth positions so that words that did not work very well to them before, now become just another exercise in singing.

But ... if you are writing for others to sing ... simpler may almost always be better ...

#6 User is offline   Clemo Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Songwriting, House renovation, Animals ,Gardening,
    Green politics.

Posted 10 April 2013 - 08:01 PM

If you stumble over a rock, move the rock
Mike

#7 User is offline   oxe57 Icon

• oxe57
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Reading, writing, music, people, poetry-

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:40 AM

The answer is a resounding yes. The trick is to try and insert nouns and verb in places that are accented. If you're going to hold a note when you sing make it a noun or verb as they tend to sing easier and leave a stronger impression with the listener. Of course folks like Patti Labelle can take a word like "if" and make that sound good. I also recommend one syllable words over multi-syllable words. When it comes to cliches I recommend two wonderful little tools called "permutation" and "spoonerism".
the whisper of a devil is louder than the scream of an angel-

Music with meaning at: http://www.soundclick.com/solide

Lyrics, poetry, screenplays etc. at: http://www.storymani...o...nsR&alpha=E

#8 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Jim Colyer said:

A philtrum is that small groove between your nose and upper lip.

That's nice.
Kinda like a perineum for the face.
Hip Pocket Music

"It is the best of all trades to make songs...
and the second best to sing them"

Hillaire Belloc

“SONG is the joint art of words and music, two arts under emotional pressure coalescing into a third.
The relation and balance of the two arts is a problem that has to be resolved anew in every song that is composed.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica

#9 User is offline   Settertude Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Acoustic Guitar, flyfishing, upland bird dogs (read English Setters), backpacking, kayaking, canoeing and assorted trouble making.

Posted 16 May 2013 - 06:04 AM

I try to find alternatives to using "like a ..........".
It can be difficult, but makes me think and can lead down a more descriptive path.
"So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us." Gandalf's response to Frodo.

"Between the worlds of men and make-believe I can be found...Dan Fogelberg

#10 User is offline   David Carlin Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 20 May 2013 - 11:06 PM

It sounds to me like your problem is that the lyric doesn't sit well with the melody. I would never avoid using a word in a song, but it has to fit in context.
Melodies have natural emphases in them and if you try to use a word that isn't being emphasised at the right syllable, it will sound awkward.

eg. Tomorrow has the emphasis on the 'mo'. If you try putting that word in a melody that emphasises the 'To' it will sound wrong.
This is an exaggerated example to demonstrate a point, but you'll find this in much subtler ways if you look for it.
The melody and lyrics should work together.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users