Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Maybe hell hath no fury like the scorn of a woman, but - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Maybe hell hath no fury like the scorn of a woman, but Heavan hath nothing to compare like the love of a mother .....

#1 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:28 PM

.... be they of the 2 or 4 legged variety

"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#2 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The intriguingly beautifully strange.
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 06:18 PM

Poor puppy. The mama really made sure he was well and TRULY clear of the danger didn't she?
Reading the comments it reminded me of the time our fat Sharpei fell in our pool.
It was in Perth and the wind had blown a tonne of leaves off the tree's completely covering the surface of the pool
My dog must have thought "Oh...look at this new environment...I'll just take a little walk across that!"
I didn't even HEAR him slip in. I just heard a little "splosh" as one paw rose from under the floating leaves.
He sunk like a BRICK!
If I hadn't of somehow yanked him out I'm sure he would have drowned.

#3 Guest_bernabby_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

A mother's reaction is more than physical - she was quick thinking in swimming to the steps to pull her pup to safety. If you ever look deep into a dog's eyes I believe you will see a soul resting in her body.

#4 User is offline   Joan Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

View Postbernabby, on 10 April 2012 - 08:20 PM, said:

If you ever look deep into a dog's eyes I believe you will see a soul resting in her body.

Well said. I have seen this too.

#5 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:17 AM

View Postbernabby, on 11 April 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

If you ever look deep into a dog's eyes I believe you will see a soul resting in her body.
In my experience, this is true of all living creatures. :)

#6 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostSimple Simon, on 11 April 2012 - 06:17 AM, said:

Except goats.

#7 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:15 AM

View PostDesertrose, on 11 April 2012 - 06:26 AM, said:

Except goats.

Posted Image
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#8 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:21 AM

View PostDesertrose, on 11 April 2012 - 06:26 PM, said:

Except goats.

Uh oh! Goatism alert! Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2012 - 01:51 AM

That goat is saying "What cha talkin' about Willis!"

#10 User is offline   Joan Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2012 - 12:00 PM

View PostSimple Simon, on 11 April 2012 - 01:17 AM, said:

Some people can see the soul in any kind of animal. But if you can see it in only one, that one is probably a dog. They make it easier for us to see theirs by their rapt fascination with ours.

#11 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:16 PM

View PostJoan, on 11 April 2012 - 10:00 AM, said:

Some people can see the soul in any kind of animal. But if you can see it in only one, that one is probably a dog. They make it easier for us to see theirs by their rapt fascination with ours.

Yes, it reminds me of a story about a Japanese man and his dog. Every day the man would walk to the train station with his dog. The dog would wait there till he returned. One day his master did not return but the dog walked and waited for him every day for 10 years. Brings tears to my eyes everytime I think of this dog's love.

#12 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

I think there's been a movie made based on that story Bernabby.
I watched it and absolutely bawled my eyes out!

#13 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:32 AM

View PostDesertrose, on 10 April 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Poor puppy. The mama really made sure he was well and TRULY clear of the danger didn't she?
Reading the comments it reminded me of the time our fat Sharpei fell in our pool.
He sunk like a BRICK!
If I hadn't of somehow yanked him out I'm sure he would have drowned.

There you go.
A 2 legged loving "Mother You". ;)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by

Posted Image
Soundclick webpage
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#14 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:34 AM

I second that emotion. :)

View PostDesertrose, on 11 April 2012 - 01:26 AM, said:

View PostSimple Simon, on 11 April 2012 - 06:17 AM, said:

Except goats.

And what about cows? :unsure: :P
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by

Posted Image
Soundclick webpage
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#15 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:37 AM

View Postbernabby, on 12 April 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

Yes, it reminds me of a story about a Japanese man and his dog. Every day the man would walk to the train station with his dog. The dog would wait there till he returned. One day his master did not return but the dog walked and waited for him every day for 10 years. Brings tears to my eyes everytime I think of this dog's love.

View PostDesertrose, on 12 April 2012 - 03:02 AM, said:

Yep, it's called "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" with Richard Gere.
I defy anyone to watch that movie and not cry their eyes out.
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by

Posted Image
Soundclick webpage
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#16 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:51 AM

Did anyone notice at the very beginning of the video (0:05) the mother looking around to whomever was taking the video as to say,
"aren't you going to help save my baby? :huh: This is about live and death :angry: , please shut that stupid video off and come help me".
(Okay maybe it's was just me having that conversation)
But she immediately went into Mother Mode and very emphatically let her puppy know that this was not exactly a smart thing to do.
I hope she let the video-takers know that too. <_<

Yep, the unconditional love of a Mother. :rolleyes:
I hate to say this, but I'm not sure we men, these days, are capable of such moments. :(
(Okay, maybe it's just me having that conversation again.) :huh: :)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by

Posted Image
Soundclick webpage
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#17 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostDannyDep, on 12 April 2012 - 03:51 AM, said:

Did anyone notice at the very beginning of the video (0:05) the mother looking around to whomever was taking the video as to say,
"aren't you going to help save my baby? :huh: This is about live and death :angry: , please shut that stupid video off and come help me".
(Okay maybe it's was just me having that conversation)
But she immediately went into Mother Mode and very emphatically let her puppy know that this was not exactly a smart thing to do.
I hope she let the video-takers know that too. <_<

Yep, the unconditional love of a Mother. :rolleyes:
I hate to say this, but I'm not sure we men, these days, are capable of such moments. :(
(Okay, maybe it's just me having that conversation again.) :huh: :)

Didn't notice that but I saw the face of determination on her that only a mother would have. She was going to save her pup or she was going to die trying.

#18 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

View PostDannyDep, on 12 April 2012 - 03:37 AM, said:

View Postbernabby, on 12 April 2012 - 12:16 AM, said:

View PostDesertrose, on 12 April 2012 - 03:02 AM, said:

Yep, it's called "Hachi: A Dog's Tale" with Richard Gere.
I defy anyone to watch that movie and not cry their eyes out.

Might be too emotional for me to watch but I'll be sure to give my dogs a big hug tonight just to let them know that I know they care.

#19 User is offline   Jackie Chan's Wee Gran Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

there is another story/legend like that as well from Scotland, Greyfriars Bobby...when his owner died Bobby guarded his grave for 14years..there was a Walt Disney film made about it as well.

#20 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

View PostJackie Chan said:

there is another story/legend like that as well from Scotland, Greyfriars Bobby...when his owner died Bobby guarded his grave for 14years..there was a Walt Disney film made about it as well.

Do you know the name of the film? I'll do a google on Greyfriars Bobby as well.

#21 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:58 PM

View Postbernabby, on 12 April 2012 - 05:34 PM, said:

View PostJackie Chan said:

Do you know the name of the film? I'll do a google on Greyfriars Bobby as well.

Found it - circa 1865 is when this took place. Watched the first 10 minutes on youtube of the original version (9 parts). I know I'm going to need a box of kleenex.

#22 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 03:19 AM

For many a year I'd travel Milner Ridge Road on my way to the cottage, a picturesque road meandering through the Agassiz Provincial Forest. Many years ago it was a simple gravel and sand road that lead to an Army Base and Radar Tracking station, a relic of the Cold War, since then the base has now been converted to a Medium Security Prison and the gravel road is now a narrow chewed up black top pseudo highway with more bumps and potholes then smooth sections, but I love driving it, spectacular scenery in all four seasons, and you always have to be prepared to brake, least you have an encounter with a deer, bear, wolf, porcupine, raccoon, lynx, beaver, coyote, fox, of course in the unfortunate circumstance, you do sometimes get a chance to witness a flock of Turkey Vultures feasting on some roadkill next to the highway, such is nature.

It's a ridge that once you turn on to it, slowly rises up from from the flat prairie farmland to the west, some have tried to homestead and farm on the "ridge.", But it's too rugged an area to do so, there are a few homes along the way with neighbours four or five miles apart, if you like your solitude, you'd be hard pressed to find a better place.

For a number of years there was one home that had sat empty, till one weekend as I drove by, I noticed a family had moved into it, I also noticed a couple kids playing in the yard, and big old dog standing atop a pile of logs along side the driveway looking as though he was standing guard.

Then one day as I drove past that house, I saw that the windows had been boarded up, and no one seemed to be around, but the dog was still standing guard atop the wood pile looking at the cars passing by.

I'll now let this story be told by Bill Redekop, a reporter from the Winnipeg Free Press newspaper.

Mon Jan 9 2006 By Bill Redekop

MILNER RIDGE -- The Winnipeg Humane Society was called, and animal control, and finally, the provincial veterinarian.

The people calling felt sorry for the dog that lives in an abandoned house in a clearing in the woods here, 75 kilometres east of Winnipeg.

Instead, what investigators found was a dog leading the life of Riley.

Patches, a springer spaniel, has two doghouses, water from an underground spring, three types of dog food that people bring him (in addition to deer scraps from hunters), an old shack for shelter, a dense woods where he catches bush rabbits, and a community that loves him.

Patches lives here. He's lived alone ever since a family pulled up stakes and abandoned him and the house six years ago. "If we have a steak dinner, we always leave a little meat on the bones for Patches," said Ernie Okrainec, who drops off food every Sunday, and brought 12 bales of flax straw to make a bed for Patches.

Okrainec also brings treats on special occasions like Thanksgiving and Christmas.

It's a community effort.

Other people drop off food and water on other days. People decorate the dog's yard at Christmas and Halloween.

Patches can often be spotted on a pile of logs in the yard watching cars go by, or sleeping. Someone decided to build him a doghouse and placed it on the logs. Patches sometimes sleeps on top of the doghouse, la Snoopy, but won't go inside.

So, someone built him a bigger doghouse. That didn't fly either.

The doghouses now serve as pantries: deer scraps go in the smaller one, and dog food kernels in the larger one.

When you visit Patches, it feels like you're on his property. Yellow-stained snow lines the top of the unshovelled driveway, like a gate. On our first visit with neighbour Brian Zolinski, Patches trotted out cautiously from the house to check the guests. Patches also walked us to the highway when it was time to leave. (Or maybe it
was his way of hinting it was time we left!) But it also feels weird: a dog and an empty house.

He's a beautiful dog. He lowers his head and looks up at you with sweet eyes, masked with black patches. The only explanation that evolution could have for a springer spaniel's black-and-white markings is camouflage for sleeping on a patchwork quilt.

Patches isn't a barker either, and no one has ever complained about him. His long hair protects him in winter. When it gets really cold, he goes under the house or into a shack in back.

People have tried to adopt him. A well-intentioned family from Lac du Bonnet loaded him up in their vehicle once and started driving down the highway. Patches went crazy, tearing apart their van. They quickly brought him back. Another family from Beausejour tried the same thing, with the same results.

"He would have just come back anyway," said Okrainec.

To hear people talk, Patches belongs with the Savage Sams, Big Reds, Call of the Wilds, even the B-I-N-G-Os of children's books and songs.

Patches does some hunting, too -- his breed is traditionally a sporting dog used for finding and flushing out game. "I saw some blood on his nose and I thought, 'What the heck? Was he in a fight?' "Okrainec recalled. "Here it was he'd caught a bush rabbit. My wife said she wouldn't be surprised if he had a deer hanging in the bush."

Patches has almost certainly encountered wolves, considering his postal code is the edge of Agassiz Provincial Forest. Okrainec thinks he had a run-in with a bear once. "What happened to you, boy?" Okrainec said, when he saw a piece of flesh the size of a bear paw torn out of his back. A cloud of flies hovered around, trying to lay eggs in the wound.

Okrainec drove back to Lac du Bonnet, got some salve and tick powder, and treated Patches until his wound completely healed. Okrainec, 67, seemed to get a bit misty-eyed talking about it, and it's a good bet he was. He's a softy. His own springer spaniel passed away about four years ago, so Okrainec knows the breed and how attached the dogs become to a single master and place. He didn't get another pet dog
because he worried what would happen if he suddenly couldn't care for it anymore.

Ernie and his wife -- whose name is "Leave me out of this," she said, when asked -- have stacks of photographs of Patches, including a framed picture for the mantle.

Okrainec even has two bobble-head dog dolls on his dashboard. When Okrainec drives up in his van, Patches comes tearing up a path of the long country driveway, and is at the van door before Ernie rolls to a stop.

Patches, now 12 years of age, has also left a legacy. About a year ago, a female dog of a different breed, who lives about five kilometres down the road, had a litter of eight pups. Every one looked like Patches.

"The owner doesn't know how he did it. She says she keeps her dog tied up all the time," Okrainec said.

There is a dog catcher in the area who gets paid $75 per dog, but some people had a little confab with him years ago concerning Patches. "The dog isn't bothering anyone," maintained Marlene Watson, chief administrator for the RM of Lac du Bonnet.

The community is protective of Patches. People either don't know or won't say who owns the land where Patches lives, even the municipal office. It seems to be provincial land, part of Agassiz Provincial Forest. In the 1960s, a lot of squatters lived on adjacent land.

People were concerned that writing about Patches would prompt a humane society to take him away. Vickie Burns, executive director of the Winnipeg Humane Society, said they don't have to worry.

She looked into the case of Patches years ago. Because Patches lives outside the humane society's Winnipeg jurisdiction, Burns called the provincial veterinarian to investigate. The vet looked into it, took some photos, and came to the conclusion that Patches is one lucky dog. "The dog is being cared for. It would be cruel to take it away," said Burns. "There's no point in us picking up an animal just to euthanize it."

bill.redekop@freepress.mb.ca

As a follow up to this story, in the fall of 2008 as I drove by that vacant house I didn't see the dog anymore, not that it was a big deal, as I would on many occasions not see him around, till winter came, and as I made one last trip out to the cottage for the season, I noticed there were no tire tracks in the snow along the driveway or footprints of any kind just undisturbed snow.

When I had stopped in Lac du Bonnet to pick up some groceries for the cottage, I asked the cashier if she heard about the dog out on Milner ridge, she looked sad and said " The poor thing passed away this past fall."

Someone once said to me, "it seemed strange to pass a vacant house with a dog just standing in the yard."

I now drive by that vacant house, and it now seems strange to me that there is also a vacant doghouse.
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#23 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:41 AM

Oh man....what a story. You guys are tearing me up here you know!
I'm such a sucker for animals, all kinds (even goats!) and stories like these just turn me into a blubbering mess.

#24 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 12:44 PM

View PostDesertrose, on 13 April 2012 - 03:41 AM, said:

Oh man....what a story. You guys are tearing me up here you know!
I'm such a sucker for animals, all kinds (even goats!) and stories like these just turn me into a blubbering mess.

Me, too. Dogs are such social animals with a loyalty second to none. I'm wandering if Patches, too, was waiting for the return of his master. Thanks, Bruce, for sharing this story.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users