Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Carinhoso - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

New to the board? Introduce yourself! Let us get to know you. This is also a place where you can hold general conversations on music and Muse-related topics.
Page 1 of 1

Carinhoso

#1 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:20 PM

Just taken on the task of a lyric translation for an old Brasilian choro written by Pixinguinha around 1916/17 (when the composer was not quite 20 years old).

Most of the sheet music for this piece is filed under "classical". Because of the style, I guess. And there are tabs out there to help a finger-picking rendition. Even Yo-Yo Ma recorded a version with Paquito d'Rivera. It's very old. But still popular. Respected. Still played. Still part of the repertoire.

Ray Gilbert wrote English lyrics for its use as "Love Is Like This" in a 1950 movie called "Nancy Goes To Rio", sung by Jane Powell.
(You can find it on YouTube if you have the time and fancy a cheap laugh - Gilbert did an awful job.)

I have written a little in French before, but have no Portuguese. Never mind. I have a rough dictionary idea of what the song says and I also now have a regular lead-sheet to work from. I have managed contrafacts in the past - and made each reference the original subtly enough to stay unnoticed except by those who recognise the old changes under the new song. But with a translation, of course, there is a total obligation to reference the original, to honour it. Should be fun.

Here's a contemporary version of the song Carinhoso.
It is very beautiful.
That's my model.
Hip Pocket Music

"It is the best of all trades to make songs...
and the second best to sing them"

Hillaire Belloc

“SONG is the joint art of words and music, two arts under emotional pressure coalescing into a third.
The relation and balance of the two arts is a problem that has to be resolved anew in every song that is composed.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica

#2 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

Very beautiful indeed Lazz.
I can almost hear how the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim must have been influenced in some ways by his predecessors.
Sounds like you're going to have a good time with this one.
Best of luck and do post the finished product when it's completed, please. :)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#3 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 02:11 AM

Gotta love those jazz fingerings, type of song you might find Dickran Gobalian, AKA Leon Redbone doing. Good luck with it, and yes, please do post your version if you may.
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#4 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 04:21 PM

DannyDep said:

Very beautiful indeed Lazz.
I can almost hear how the music of Antonio Carlos Jobim must have been influenced in some ways by his predecessors.

I am happy for that.
Pixinguinha is a huge influence on the music of Brasil in much the same way that Louis Armstrong and Charlie Parker are a profound influence on every jazzer who followed. The "choro" tradition that he comes from is a kind of front-room chamber music full of interweaving contrapuntal lines. Novitiates learn and study by joining different playing-circles called "roda de choro". Very community-roots style of practice. I like that very much. (One of early versions I have by Pixinguinha himself is with a horde of brass instruments on a parade somewhere - very different and interesting with an arrangement stretching out over 8 minutes.) The 'choro' influence on this song is most apparent in the B section.

You might enjoy this "Chorinho" by Pat Metheny's regular pianist, Lyle Mays.
Hope so.

Bruce N said:

Gotta love those jazz fingerings, type of song you might find Dickran Gobalian, AKA Leon Redbone doing.

That's interesting. Never thought of Redbone. Old mate of mine out here used to be his label manager when he was in town and they became thick as thieves. If you wanted to reach him at that time, instructions were to call the local pool-hall and leave a message for "Mr Grunt". Wonder what he's up to these days. I'll have to find out from my old mate.

The guitar player in the clip is Paulinho da Viola. He is from a choro family tradition. His dad plays, and his son, the girls each sing I think. He is a huge favourite of mine. A very elegant and dignified man. A wonderful song-writer. Wonder if I might manage to translate any of his lovely pieces. He's well worth a search and some attention.
Hip Pocket Music

Hillaire Belloc

“SONG is the joint art of words and music, two arts under emotional pressure coalescing into a third.
The relation and balance of the two arts is a problem that has to be resolved anew in every song that is composed.”

#5 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:41 AM

Thanks heaps for those links, Lazz!

That's a beautiful rendition of the song, but what really caught my attention was the link to Mays' version of it. I've been a huge fan of the Metheny/Mays combo for many years, and I have often felt that it is Mays' contribution that brings out the best in Metheny's music.

Of course I recognised the piece as soon as it started. I've heard Mays play it many times before (I think it was on the Street Dreams album?) but have never heard this live version before. I never even realised that it was a cover (I'm a afraid I'm not much of one for reading the cover notes). But this is a great version!

#6 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:46 AM

I remember your Lyle Mays appreciation from previous postings, Simon - so I was confident you'd dig it.
And you're right that the tune is on his "Street Dreams".

But it isn't a version of "Carinhoso".
It's a Mays composition based on the choro style.
(Chorinho = little choro)

Reason I posted the link was to provide an illustrative style example.
I ended up picking the Mays because, like you, I dig his playing and hadn't heard the live version before.

Didn't intend to encourage confusion about which song was which.
(Sorry)
Hip Pocket Music

Hillaire Belloc

#7 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:12 PM

View PostLazz, on 16 April 2012 - 05:46 AM, said:

But it isn't a version of "Carinhoso".
It's a Mays composition based on the choro style.
(Chorinho = little choro)

Ahhh... well that certainly makessense! LOL I must admit, I was a bit taken aback at how different May's, er, "interpretation" was from the other version, but I didn't really go back and compare the two a little more closely as I got far too excited with listening to Mays. Posted ImagePosted Image I should also have read your original post a little more carefully. Silly me. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users