Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Where were you ? - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Forum Rules

>Please use the “Forum Guidelines” link at the top of the screen to read General Policies.
>Remember that these songs are only going to be kept up here a maximum of 30 days. Keep a backup of your work.

Rules for Posting a Song:
1) Please critique 2 or more songs for every song you post.
2) Please post only one song per day.
3) Please keep it tasteful i.e. no overt sexuality or obscene, offensive language, etc.
4) Please indicate the intended genre below the title of your song, and also what kind of a critique you're after. Is this a song that you'll be promoting commercially? Is it a song you wrote simply because you wanted to and you'd like to make it better? The more info people have, the better they'll be able to give you the kind of feedback you're after. And please PLEASE note - if you're not really after critique at all, don't post here. The Artist's Cafe is happy to hear your completed songs. This is the place to post if you want honest feedback and are prepared to take what is given (what you do with it, is of course, up to you).
5) Please post the lyrics along with the clickable link to your song's music.
6) Only post songs you have written or have permission to post. Please don't post cover songs.
7) It is polite to acknowledge critiques, but please don’t overdo it by “bumping” your thread to the top too frequently.
8) If you revise the song, please give a date and post on the same thread, or folks will unknowingly still comment on the old one.
9) Please be sure to visit other areas of the board to both learn and spread your knowledge.

Rules for Critiquing a Song:
1) The purpose of this forum is to promote better song writing by providing encouragement and constructive feedback focused on improvement. Strive to be courteous and respectful in your critiques, keeping in mind that we all come to this forum with different perspectives, genre preferences and levels of experience.
2) Offer constructive criticism and suggestions you think may help the writer make the most of his or her vision of where they want to go with their song.
3) If you think something really works, say so. Make an attempt to say why you think it does. If you see areas you think could be improved, explain why you believe they need improvement and offer suggestions, if you have any.

Anonymity often helps us forget that there is a person at the other end of our critique. Imagine, if you can, that you are speaking to the writer face to face.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1

Where were you ? A song for people that grew up without a mother

#1 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 09 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Ok , this one was a tough one for me to sing . Its a song about growing up with a mother that left when you were an early age and hasnt been there since , IT IS A WORK IN PROGRESS so be ready for an abrupt end ..lol . Its just what i came with today so excuse the really poor guitar solos and the iffy mix , i`ll work on those ones i`m happy with the structure. Just thought i`d share what i have so far .

http://www.soundclic...d=11561922&q=hi

Where were you

where were you
when i needed you
where were you
all along
you know i did this on my own
some times i got wrong
but where were you , where were you.

where were you
when i fell apon me knees
where were you
when i was caught up in the breeze
i never wanted you to go
did I do wrong, i`ll never know
oh where were you , where were you.

cos I`ve been here all along
trying to figure out just what went wrong
did you ever feel the same
am i alone in my pain
where were yooooooou ?

where were you
when i just needed somebody to hold
where were you
when all i had was just my soul
well now i made it on my own
you missed it all, those times are gone
where were you, where were you

where were you
were you thinking of me too
where were you
was i just something you use to do
did i hurt you so bad
that you had to leave me feeling sad
where were you, where were you

Enjoy.

#2 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:02 PM

Nice production: very Alan Parsons-y "Dark SIde"-ish. Are you the singer? A solid vocal, for sure.

I can hear this used in TV. The song might be a little melodramatic for my own listening tastes: I can't listen to The Wall, either (except for "Comfortably Numb"). :D But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work great in a lot of music-for-picture applications.

Justa couple of lyric nits, perhaps. The rushed scansion of "trying to figure out just what went wrong" sort of jars me out of the dream, here. ALso, "caught up in the breeze" doesn't sound like a bad thing... maybe something else in the breeze.

#3 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostGravity Jim, on 09 April 2012 - 03:02 PM, said:

Nice production: very Alan Parsons-y "Dark SIde"-ish. Are you the singer? A solid vocal, for sure.

I can hear this used in TV. The song might be a little melodramatic for my own listening tastes: I can't listen to The Wall, either (except for "Comfortably Numb"). :D But that doesn't mean it wouldn't work great in a lot of music-for-picture applications.

Justa couple of lyric nits, perhaps. The rushed scansion of "trying to figure out just what went wrong" sort of jars me out of the dream, here. ALso, "caught up in the breeze" doesn't sound like a bad thing... maybe something else in the breeze.

Hi Jim .
Many thanks for the kind words . I`m a massive floyd fan lol . Yes its my vocal . Found it a bit hard to sing just due to the emotion of it . Its a subject i`ve been trying to comprehend for many years . Hey ho. Thanks for the suggestions regarding the lyrics i`ll take them on board and have a work around with them.

Cheers
Dave

#4 User is offline   Zeek Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:26 PM

Well...although I was never a fan of Floyd (more Zep) I did appreciate the songwriting and David Gilmour's playing. I dunno Jim...it's not grabbing me. The beat/groove feels wrong to me, like the snare needs to be in a different spot throughout. Could be just me...

Vocal is totally cool and fits the mood of the song. If you hadn't let me know this was about growing up w/o a mother, I would have thought it was about just another girl. I think the lyric needs less vagueness in that respect. A bit less generic.

I was looking for more cool chord changes--something to make it stand out. Was looking for a chord change on all ALONG.

My 2...

Zeek

#5 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 09 April 2012 - 03:33 PM

View PostZeek, on 09 April 2012 - 03:26 PM, said:

Well...although I was never a fan of Floyd (more Zep) I did appreciate the songwriting and David Gilmour's playing. I dunno Jim...it's not grabbing me. The beat/groove feels wrong to me, like the snare needs to be in a different spot throughout. Could be just me...

Vocal is totally cool and fits the mood of the song. If you hadn't let me know this was about growing up w/o a mother, I would have thought it was about just another girl. I think the lyric needs less vagueness in that respect. A bit less generic.

I was looking for more cool chord changes--something to make it stand out. Was looking for a chord change on all ALONG.

My 2...

Zeek

The percussion isnt done ..lol ..just a groove track . its got a delay on the snare thats it. I`ll wrote a proper rytham track when i`ve done the rest i always do that last . well just before the final vocal take.

#6 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 05:36 PM

Hi Dave,
The emotion of the song is front and center.
Well done.

As i was listening I found just one odd off meter line, at least to my ears.
"trying to figure out just what went wrong"
What if you were to rhythmically make in in line with the rest of the verse with,
"Asking questions, what went wrong"
Looking forward to the finished product. :)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#7 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The intriguingly beautifully strange.
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 09 April 2012 - 11:24 PM

I love this!
Those "yooooooou's" gave me goosebumps!

Love the feel....LOVE the vocals....I really like it just as it is (except the cut off ending of course) but I can see some minor tweaks here and there could improve it perhaps?

I kind of like the vague-ness of the lyric.
I was actually thinking of someone very close to me who grew up with (but mostly without) a mother who had Schizophrenia . I bet she could relate to this lyric.

Good stuff Dave!

#8 User is offline   RickDieffenbach Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 April 2012 - 04:46 AM

Audio,

I've heard of the 5th Beatle, are you the 5th member of the Floyd?

I don't have that same emotional experience with my mom, so I am in a good position to judge the song as part of that demographic.

You crafted this so that it could be applied to any situation. Wife, husband, friend, business associate, mom, dad. It all works.

I am a fan of the Floyd too. And I have taken a couple of my songs and felt like I was honoring them by giving them a PF feel. (Never as well done as yours however...) But the question that comes to mind is this: what could you do to this song (even if just in the mix), to make it sound just a little bit less of them and more of you? Just a thought.

But getting back to the song, you nailed it. 10/10.

Rick

#9 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 10 April 2012 - 07:03 AM

Hi guys
Thanks for the great comments , I did try to leave the lyric open to interpretation , as Rick says it could be about anyone , its just that in my case its my mother . I think if I had written it specifically about a mother and a son then it wouldn`t work for other people as much . I`m sure we all have felt the pain of failed relationships in some manner. Its the first time in 32 years I`ve been able to write about it not for the want of trying i hasten to add. Anyway lets see where this takes me today . Many thanks again guys !!

Dave

#10 User is offline   porcupine Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, baseball, comedy, my wife and son

Posted 10 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

hey there!

I believe this is the first song of yours I've heard. I played keys in a pink floyd tribute band a while back, so I get it! Definately the pink floyd vibe, especially the short quick tremelo's on guitar. The minor 6th is a dead ringer too.

Here are my considerations: I would've liked to here a double time drum thing during the solo, giving it some energy. The snare feels a bit off at the beginning, not sure if it was on purpose though. Just a little key pad behind the guitar solo my help too.

all in all, a GREAT GREAT vibe and connects well emotionally. I know about some subject being rough to sing about. It drains you. Great job!

Porcupine
#1 song on Onstage.com's Holiday Playlist in Nov 2011 "Could This Be Christmas"
#5 song on Onstage.com's Open for Bon Jovi in May of 2010 "Turn It Down"
recorded and produced songs with several grammy winners and nominees
songs writen have been recorded by The Standard, Wooden Nickel, Jody Stapler and Prototype
see more of my music at charlieeschbach.com

#11 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Adding a few more degrees to this sultry night with the sound of my lonely saxophone, from out of a cheap, 5th floor, hotel room window, located just underneath some old, neon billboard.....you know, the kind that has a few of the lights just blinking.

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:59 AM

Hey there Audio...............I really, really dig this......Dig the pink floyd feel.....I think you could bring the vocals up in the mix. I think that would bring the sound up a little closer and more personal!
Great stuff, Dave! B) -Tom
"I Know The Truth By My Struggle Against It"

#12 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

Thank you everyone much apreciated . I`m nearly there with this now . Just working out an ending for it and i`ll post the final vesion .

Thanks again all !!

Dave

#13 User is offline   TamsNumber4 Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 April 2012 - 06:27 PM

Dave,

Sounds great to me. I also think that a lyric that can be applied to many situations will appeal to more folks.

Tammy
Visit my SoundClick site for songs

~Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time.~

Professor Albus Dumbledore: Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

#14 User is offline   somefellow Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

Dave,
You can't beat reality for a song topic. This just throbs with pain. This is why I listen to music. For that glimpse into someone's heart.
Well done.
Tom

#15 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Living in my mythic song dreamworld as much as possible..

Posted 24 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

You can really feel the emotion n honesty in this Dave..Very Pink Floyd as has been mentioned-but its really well done -dramatic,sad,cathartic n engaging..Cool bluesy vocal line totally suiting the lyric too with a good flow..
The repetition of the 'Where were you' ? is excellent and gives it an instantly strong character
Very cool track dude..

#16 User is offline   John Sophy Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

i really like this song. Love the beginning guitar sound its very hypnotic. It reminds me of pink fylod with a touch of echo like the steve miller song fly like an eagle. Being that I am almost 50 this is the type of sounding music I grew up with. Nice job.

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users