Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Burger King - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

New to the board? Introduce yourself! Let us get to know you. This is also a place where you can hold general conversations on music and Muse-related topics.
Page 1 of 1

Burger King

#1 Guest_bernabby_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:56 PM

Have we all gone nuts? What's the controversy about Mary K. Blige's Burger King commercial? Was it full of foul language, sexist references, homophobic stereotyping just what? Singing about fried chicken is racist!!! Are you kidding me? I love KFC. As a matter of fact, I'm picking up a bucket tonight. Come on, people. Why look for racism where there isn't any? There are those who want to keep racism alive because it's a money business or because of deep rooted hate. Yes, Jesse, Al, Black Panthers, Obama with his if I had a son he'd look like me exploitation. I find it ironic because it removes an income source from a black performer.

#2 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:19 PM

Who? What? Where?

I have no idea what you are talking about, guv.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#3 User is offline   Roger Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:23 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 06 April 2012 - 07:19 PM, said:

Who? What? Where?

I have no idea what you are talking about, guv.

My link

There you go, Alistair.

#4 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:25 PM

OK. Viral advertising, generating fake controversy where none exists for reasons of .. advertising.

Nothing to see here, folks.

Other than something that's a bit crass and amateur, that is.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#5 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 06 April 2012 - 08:35 PM

Bring out the buffet and champagne. For once, I agree with you, bernabby (or at least most of your commentary). This is a storm in a teacup if ever there was one. A perfect example of the media jumping on a bandwagon with no wheels in an effort to either drum up news or deflect from what actually might be newsworthy.

If Burger King is guilty of stereotyping African American tastes, which are no more or less the tastes of every American, then McDonald's can be accused of the same thing.

Makes me wonder if Burger King's prime competitor isn't behind the uproar.
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2008 & 2009
1 + 1 Song of the Year 2009 Ain't That True

My Soundclick Page
My lyrics and songs hosted by Lyricadia

#6 User is offline   MABBO Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Talking about, teaching, participating in writing, performing, recording and all things pertaining to music in general, Nashville, Tn. in particular.

Posted 07 April 2012 - 09:09 AM

If that was an advertising campaign, it will probably go down as successful as "New Coke." They never planned on the backlash because it was never racist. But any company that would sit around and plan something that would bring huge negative publicity to themselves, should hire a new advertising firm. How this was percieved as racist is so beyond me it is amazing. The insanity of "political correctness" run amok. Be careful what you write about in your songs. God Forbid you be the next to be something "racist, sexist, homophobic."

MAB

#7 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

Can anyone find links claiming the ad is racist? Most links will be arguing that the claim is silly.

BK has a strong record in viral marketing and advertising. They have good experience of this.

Who has gained? Well, consider this - how many people have seen the ad over the last few days? How much would that audience have cost without the internet? We now have people doing covers of the music and that spreads the news further. Everyone it seems is on BKs (and Blige's) side. BK have done very nicely out of this indeed, thank you!

Mary Blige is also good. Instead of being torn apart for standing on a table and singing about the contents of a wrap (and let's face it, that's pretty tacky), she is being held up as someone who wouldn't stoop to what the ad is being accused of. $2M does no harm, either.

This has all the marks of a setup. BK makes the ad, runs it, seeds a couple of complaints, pulls the ad and issues a press release to every news outlet they can think of ... and sits back.

There is no negative publicity because there is no racism. No, they are "victims" while they reap the benefits of free advertising driven by a public that loves a controversy, even if it IS fake.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#8 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2012 - 04:09 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 07 April 2012 - 03:10 PM, said:

Can anyone find links claiming the ad is racist? Most links will be arguing that the claim is silly.

BK has a strong record in viral marketing and advertising. They have good experience of this.

Who has gained? Well, consider this - how many people have seen the ad over the last few days? How much would that audience have cost without the internet? We now have people doing covers of the music and that spreads the news further. Everyone it seems is on BKs (and Blige's) side. BK have done very nicely out of this indeed, thank you!

Mary Blige is also good. Instead of being torn apart for standing on a table and singing about the contents of a wrap (and let's face it, that's pretty tacky), she is being held up as someone who wouldn't stoop to what the ad is being accused of. $2M does no harm, either.

This has all the marks of a setup. BK makes the ad, runs it, seeds a couple of complaints, pulls the ad and issues a press release to every news outlet they can think of ... and sits back.

There is no negative publicity because there is no racism. No, they are "victims" while they reap the benefits of free advertising driven by a public that loves a controversy, even if it IS fake.

That's why they pay you the big bucks, dear. I think this makes more sense than claims of an outcry of racism from entities which no one seems able to find.
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

My Soundclick Page

#9 User is offline   Gordon Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:writing, science, weight lifting, ice hockey, nfl... seems there should be something else... maybe i'll think of it later...

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

i haven't seen the ad nor had i heard of it until i saw this thread. i've often felt that a lot of people, particularly in the US get too uptight over "political correctness"... I'm not african american so maybe it isn't really my place to comment on whether anyone should or should not feel offended...

Here's two african american opinion writers though...

http://www.washingto...V2vvS_blog.html

http://gossiponthis....on-have-a-seat/

#10 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

I still refuse to believe that the uproar was initiated by the African American community. Let's face it, they are comfortable enough using the "N" word between themselves. An African American female musical icon singing about fried chicken is going to rile them? I think not.

I think Jarrett Hill hit the nail on the head. Great article.
George Orwell

Arthur C. Clarke

My Soundclick Page

#11 User is offline   Gordon Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:writing, science, weight lifting, ice hockey, nfl... seems there should be something else... maybe i'll think of it later...

Posted 07 April 2012 - 05:42 PM

Yeah, Caperton seems sort of upset... i suppose... but seemed to me more along the lines of "what were they thinking"... he didn't seem to be the most irate person to ever criticize something.

Jarrett Hill's article is well done. Seems like there are many more important things to get worked up over.

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users