Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Suggestions please - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

Good music publishers wear two different "hats." The first is that of "mentor and coach" -- to develop the skills of aspiring songwriters. The second is that of "promoter" -- maximizing the exposure and earningpotential of the song. This forum is the place to find out how to wear both "hats" effectively yourself if you don't have a music publisher.
Page 1 of 1

Suggestions please

#1 User is offline   Rebecca0630 Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 06 April 2012 - 01:33 PM

After reading the boards I have seen several people mention that there are legitimate places where you can submit your lyrics and if they are good enough they will pay you instead of you having to pay them to add music. So far, all I have found are places that basically tell everyone their songs are good and then ask for you to pay for them to put your lyrics to music. I'm wondering if anyone could let me know the names of some places that would pay you. (not saying my songs are that good, just that I guess you never know until you try)

#2 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

I don't believe there are any.

It may be possible to place a song, but a lyric without music? Not that I am aware of.

You would be better off writing full songs or partnering with someone if that isn't something you can do.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#3 User is offline   porcupine Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, baseball, comedy, my wife and son

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Hi

Be careful. There is a scam out there that "pays" you for your lyrics, but in essence, its a compnay that ends up owning the song. They are just looking for lyrics, but have a clever way of saying it and you end up in a strange contract.

I also believe a compnay that pays you for lyrics may not exist.

Porcupine
#1 song on Onstage.com's Holiday Playlist in Nov 2011 "Could This Be Christmas"
#5 song on Onstage.com's Open for Bon Jovi in May of 2010 "Turn It Down"
recorded and produced songs with several grammy winners and nominees
songs writen have been recorded by The Standard, Wooden Nickel, Jody Stapler and Prototype
see more of my music at charlieeschbach.com

#4 User is offline   Roger Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:25 PM

There are no legitimate publishing companies that would pay for lyrics only - and actually if they "paid" you it would be an advance against future royalties, so in effect you'd be borrowing your own money. Even if you had a complete song (music & lyrics), a legit company would probably want to do some sort of limited single song agreement that (at best) would pay for a demo. I've never heard of a company advancing money for a song, and especially just a portion of a song, that wasn't either recorded by a major artist or about to be.

#5 User is offline   zmulls Icon

• I know the value of a kindly chorus
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2012 - 11:15 PM

Rebecca,

I'm not sure where on the boards you saw information like that. Nobody pays for lyrics. Almost nobody pays for songs.

If you are a "lyrics only" person you cannot and will not get anywhere without partnering with someone who at least writes music. In most cases "your mileage may vary" but in this case I don't think there are any exceptions. To do anything in the music business -- from a performance opening at a tiny listening room, to a song placement, to pitching to a major star -- you need a finished song (music and lyrics) probably elevated to a recorded demo.

Meet people. Find partners. Write songs. Have fun. Don't keep looking in your mailbox for the checks. Anything else will make you crazy.
ZMULLS.COM Muses Muse 2006 Lyric of the Year winner -- Four Widows

2007 ISC Grand Prize Winner & 2007 Great American Song Contest Winner Best Rock/Alt Song for "I'm Not Your Friend" written with Eduard Glumov

Z.'s Songwriting Guidelines:

• Tell the truth, but lie about it
  • There are no rules, but you have to follow them

"...when Joan Kennedy tells you something, you will accept it entirely at face value as the unalloyed truth that it is" -- George Washington

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users