Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Highway 98 (studio release) - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Forum Rules

>Please use the “Forum Guidelines” link at the top of the screen to read General Policies.
>Remember that these songs are only going to be kept up here a maximum of 30 days. Keep a backup of your work.

Rules for Posting a Song:
1) Please critique 2 or more songs for every song you post.
2) Please post only one song per day.
3) Please keep it tasteful i.e. no overt sexuality or obscene, offensive language, etc.
4) Please indicate the intended genre below the title of your song, and also what kind of a critique you're after. Is this a song that you'll be promoting commercially? Is it a song you wrote simply because you wanted to and you'd like to make it better? The more info people have, the better they'll be able to give you the kind of feedback you're after. And please PLEASE note - if you're not really after critique at all, don't post here. The Artist's Cafe is happy to hear your completed songs. This is the place to post if you want honest feedback and are prepared to take what is given (what you do with it, is of course, up to you).
5) Please post the lyrics along with the clickable link to your song's music.
6) Only post songs you have written or have permission to post. Please don't post cover songs.
7) It is polite to acknowledge critiques, but please don’t overdo it by “bumping” your thread to the top too frequently.
8) If you revise the song, please give a date and post on the same thread, or folks will unknowingly still comment on the old one.
9) Please be sure to visit other areas of the board to both learn and spread your knowledge.

Rules for Critiquing a Song:
1) The purpose of this forum is to promote better song writing by providing encouragement and constructive feedback focused on improvement. Strive to be courteous and respectful in your critiques, keeping in mind that we all come to this forum with different perspectives, genre preferences and levels of experience.
2) Offer constructive criticism and suggestions you think may help the writer make the most of his or her vision of where they want to go with their song.
3) If you think something really works, say so. Make an attempt to say why you think it does. If you see areas you think could be improved, explain why you believe they need improvement and offer suggestions, if you have any.

Anonymity often helps us forget that there is a person at the other end of our critique. Imagine, if you can, that you are speaking to the writer face to face.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1

Highway 98 (studio release) Take a smooth, easy drive. Shawn Mullins meets Zac Brown?

#1 User is offline   RickyFitz Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

http://www.rickyfitz...m/music-52.html

I wanted to tap the collective genius of my fellow Musers, and share this song with you.

“Highway 98” is a song I’ve been performing for probably 10 years, which is about how long ago it was when I originally wrote it. It’s long been a fan favorite and is actually now making its way through the GA House of Representatives (HR1642) to be named as the official song of GA Hwy 98…something never done before in the state.

Anyway, I sound like a salesman…

Because of the recent excitement, I finally got busy and recorded a full studio rendition of it…something I usually don’t do. But I actually am pretty stoked about it. And I wanted to get your input.

This is the rendition that we’ll have online, will be in distribution, airplay and used in our fundraising activities too. And it will be stored in the historical records for the state of GA for a very, very long time. So your feedback on it, is very important to me. I'd love to hear your thoughts on everything from the lyrics, the writing, the melody, the groove, the instruments, the mix...whatever. It's all good.

Thank you, guys!!! - Ricky

http://www.rickyfitz...m/music-52.html

***LYRICS***

Highway 98
Words & Music by Ricky Fitzpatrick
Copyright 2004, Ricky Fitzpatrick Music, 2012 Pitch A Fitz Music

Verse One
Headed out of Commerce, across the railroad tracks and the new bypass.
Right about there the world begins to change.
Past the new Jehovah’s Witness building, and my best friend Todd’s old house,
Takin’ me right on back again.

Verse Two
Not too slow…not too fast, set the cruise and let off the gas.
Blacks Creek Church Road and drifting through my dreams.
Past the county line and Midway store, a million other times before.
And in the farms and the barns I’m wrapped up in your wings…

Chorus
Highway 98, I swear, there’s something about your lines,
Makes a good ol’ boy get lost inside your miles.
Highway 98, out there, in the middle of the highway signs,
Makes me want to take my time…on you.

Verse Three
Past my grandpa’s house and Jot ‘Em Down; a thousand years from the nearest town.
There ain’t no one else on the road tonight but me.
‘round Danielsville and the register homes, like the lyrics straight out of some classic Country song
Not a care in the world as far as I can see.

Verse Four
On past the high school and under the stars, occasional headlights from the passing cars,
And the whole world just seems to be right again out here.
Destination: far as I can take it, all the way down 98.
I just might keep on drivin’ all night…but I don’t care.

Chorus
Highway 98, I swear, there’s something about your lines,
Makes a good ol’ boy get lost inside your miles.
Highway 98, out there, in the middle of the highway signs,
Makes me want to take my time…on you.
Ricky Fitzpatrick
www.rickyfitzpatrick.com

#2 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:46 PM

Ricky,

Great song. It starts off so soft and builds to a very nice chorus. Production is great! Love the spoken verses. Great lyrics. I think that is my favorite part of this song. I felt I was there on Highway 98. Singing is very good. Well, there really isn't anything to crit in this song. Good luck with it.
thanks for the post!
jason
http://www.kalmanmus...

I have no idea where I'm going and it feels spectacular!

#3 User is offline   Dottie Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, music, anything creative. I actually enjoy restoring old cars, but I haven't done that for a while.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:56 AM

Hi Ricky,

I live in Ga.and my niece lives in Commerce so I know that it really is a different world out there. My niece used to ride a donkey to the store! I think you’ve done an excellent job on this song and I can understand why you’ve had the interest in it that you’ve had. The only nits I have are in these two lines.

There ain’t no one else on the road tonight but me.
occasional headlights from the passing cars,

As you can see when you look at them together they are contradicting.

Two thumbs up and good luck with this awesome song! :)

Dottie

#4 User is offline   SongWriter Joe Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:36 AM

:ph34r: Nice song, good vibe. Only one little thing.. and I learned this from someone with a great deal more experience and knowledge about the music business than I possess.. this is great to be performed locally.. but outside your area, making such limited reference to a certain geographical area also limits your potential target audience, and the pool of musicians who might wish to record it or perform it; same for licensing issues. Be great for Ga. area bands.. keep on keepin' on. :ph34r:

#5 User is offline   cindyrella Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

Wow! This great. The spoken parts, the music, just a great job!
Cindy

#6 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:29 PM

Hey ,
Yes this is a nice song . As Joe said its going to be welcomed by locals , however its going to struggle else where because the lyrics are very very localized and mean nothing to anyone else. Its well done though.

Keep it up

Dave

#7 User is offline   RickyFitz Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:17 AM

Hey everyone...thank you so much for the comments, kind words and critiques on Highway 98! What an awesome way to start my week, seeing all your feedback! Your thoughts are consistent with what I've been hearing, all around...lots of folks enjoying it, obviously people who are from the area, even moreso. And mixed comments on the "talking" verses. :) But overall for me, this was a fantastic bunch of feedback from a group of peers whose opinions I respect very, very much. So thanks again!!! Have a great week! - Ricky
Ricky Fitzpatrick
www.rickyfitzpatrick.com

#8 User is offline   neuroron Icon

• A meandering Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:All aspects of music and sound - from the poetic to the scientific. Neurology/neuroscience.

Posted 26 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

I like the Choruses. I easily just let the verses float by not really concentrating on the local particulars, just like riding on a strange highway on a trip, if it had a little more trance/driving feel. I really liked the organ but the other parts seemed a little too herky-jerky to let me zone out in it, but overall very nice - Good luck on your efforts! Ron
Visit me at my Soundclick site: The RT Project - Or Facebook

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users