Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: WARISTAN - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Forum Rules

>Please use the “Forum Guidelines” link at the top of the screen to read General Policies.
>Remember that these songs are only going to be kept up here a maximum of 30 days. Keep a backup of your work.

Rules for Posting a Song:
1) Please critique 2 or more songs for every song you post.
2) Please post only one song per day.
3) Please keep it tasteful i.e. no overt sexuality or obscene, offensive language, etc.
4) Please indicate the intended genre below the title of your song, and also what kind of a critique you're after. Is this a song that you'll be promoting commercially? Is it a song you wrote simply because you wanted to and you'd like to make it better? The more info people have, the better they'll be able to give you the kind of feedback you're after. And please PLEASE note - if you're not really after critique at all, don't post here. The Artist's Cafe is happy to hear your completed songs. This is the place to post if you want honest feedback and are prepared to take what is given (what you do with it, is of course, up to you).
5) Please post the lyrics along with the clickable link to your song's music.
6) Only post songs you have written or have permission to post. Please don't post cover songs.
7) It is polite to acknowledge critiques, but please don’t overdo it by “bumping” your thread to the top too frequently.
8) If you revise the song, please give a date and post on the same thread, or folks will unknowingly still comment on the old one.
9) Please be sure to visit other areas of the board to both learn and spread your knowledge.

Rules for Critiquing a Song:
1) The purpose of this forum is to promote better song writing by providing encouragement and constructive feedback focused on improvement. Strive to be courteous and respectful in your critiques, keeping in mind that we all come to this forum with different perspectives, genre preferences and levels of experience.
2) Offer constructive criticism and suggestions you think may help the writer make the most of his or her vision of where they want to go with their song.
3) If you think something really works, say so. Make an attempt to say why you think it does. If you see areas you think could be improved, explain why you believe they need improvement and offer suggestions, if you have any.

Anonymity often helps us forget that there is a person at the other end of our critique. Imagine, if you can, that you are speaking to the writer face to face.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1

WARISTAN Alternative Rock

#1 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Music

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:18 AM

Musers,
Brand-new song, as always would love to hear what you think! And I promise to return the favor! You guys rock!
jason

WARISTAN

Music/words/performance/production: Jason Kalman
Lead Guitar: Lance Duncan

I’m on my way to Waristan

I’m on my way to sunny Waristan
To a resort where you can be the man
I hear it’s sunny and the people nice
A package deal so cheap I named my price

Whoa hold up, hold up, are those gun shots?
Hey no joke, I want my money back

Chorus
I got shot in the streets of Waristan
I didn’t get very far in Waristan
I thought I’d find true love in Waristan
I thought I’d buy beachfront in Waristan

Ok, so things didn’t quite work out as planned
Not really, no not at all
Luckily it was just a flesh wound
No running water and no roof at this hotel
I’m getting outta here right now or raising HELL!!!!

Oh wait no not again
GET ME OUTTA HERE!!!!!….

Chorus

Solo

I guess the trip wasn’t that bad after all
You know, looking back
I learned a few things about myself
I found out I can run real fast after getting shot….

Chorus

Whew, I made it out alive B)
http://www.kalmanmus...

I have no idea where I'm going and it feels spectacular!

#2 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Living in my mythic song dreamworld as much as possible..

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

I thought this was really cool n very well done Jason..Its like The Dead Kennedys meeting The Pixies while jamming out with Van Halen n 70s Jazz funk like Gil Scott Heron or something..Its abit bizarre n eccentric - n i dig its playful spirit.... love the really dark humour - and the totally unexpected talking bits adding to the absurd,chilling irony..
Verse is supa-funky and the chorus is catchy n memorable..
Has alot of personality n character conceptually as a track -and i actually really like the fact its all a little rough-round-the edges,abit loose n not supa-polished or anything
Nice one
Thanx for the inspiration

#3 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:58 PM

View PostScenesFromPalacio, on 22 March 2012 - 07:31 AM, said:

I thought this was really cool n very well done Jason..Its like The Dead Kennedys meeting The Pixies while jamming out with Van Halen n 70s Jazz funk like Gil Scott Heron or something..Its abit bizarre n eccentric - n i dig its playful spirit.... love the really dark humour - and the totally unexpected talking bits adding to the absurd,chilling irony..
Verse is supa-funky and the chorus is catchy n memorable..
Has alot of personality n character conceptually as a track -and i actually really like the fact its all a little rough-round-the edges,abit loose n not supa-polished or anything
Nice one
Thanx for the inspiration

Thanks Steve, the kind words mean alot! I did go back and tighten the performance a bit. It was too loose in places. I think it is better now, still loose, but not too loose.
I love all the bands you mention. Funny, I never set out to write a particular sounding song. I did set out to write a rock tune, but that was my only plan. I never really know what i'll end up with, but that is what makes the creative process so fun and exciting.
thanks again Steve!
Jason

#4 User is offline   Randy P. Gendron Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jesus, Susie, Family, Friends, Music, Painting

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:01 AM

This song is Very Cool, Jason! Love everything about it! And WARISTAN is an amazing word, one worth trademarking - I think.

... B)

#5 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Adding a few more degrees to this sultry night with the sound of my lonely saxophone, from out of a cheap, 5th floor, hotel room window, located just underneath some old, neon billboard.....you know, the kind that has a few of the lights just blinking.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:34 AM

Hey there Jason..............now this is diffrent!! Love the versatility in your persuit to mix things up. It's not a song in the traditional sence of the word....the art of sound and imigary.........very cool!
-Tom
"I Know The Truth By My Struggle Against It"

#6 User is offline   daddio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm not all that interested.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:36 PM

Love this!!
When I saw Gil Scott Heron mentioned in the first post I knew I had to listen to this and I was not disappointed. This grabbed me right from the start. Great energy and humor. Love your vocal and really digging the guitar. This left me with a big smile.
Lately I'm feeling my inner dog.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Hunter S. Thompson

"I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

My Soundclick
My Reverbnation page
My Facebook

Ain't That True 1+1 Song Of The Year 2009

When You're Cain 1+1 Song of the Year 2013

#7 User is offline   dtrain1234 Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:write songs, cook food, play video games, watch tv, going to the movies, hanging out with friends,

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:23 PM

I'm not a fan of 'humor' music but this was smokin'! Love the lead guitarist work! Very well done.

Darin
Darin's Original Songs

http://www.soundclick.com/darinmartin

#8 User is offline   Dottie Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, music, anything creative. I actually enjoy restoring old cars, but I haven't done that for a while.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:00 AM

Hi Jason,

This is soooo different I have to love it. I always appreciate a unique song/lyric and this is definitely unique. I have one small lyrical suggestion if you're going to record this again.

I’m on my way to sunny Waristan
To a resort where you I can be the man

I also like the talking part. This is so far out of my genre but I really like it!!! :)

Dottie

#9 User is offline   RobAsh15 Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, books, movies, pugs, friends, my wife, my grand babies, good food, guitars, cars, motorcycles, flea markets, yard sales, alternative lifestyles.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

Jason,

I won't be penning an in depth review of this. Not that it doesn't deserve it. It absolutely does. In the very best sense. But, I am going through some personal medical issues right now, and I have discovered they are affecting my attitude towards things... a thing you and others here do not deserve.

Anyways, I listened to this little gem the other day. Hearing a new tune from you once gain reminded me of the aspects of being a member here that I personally value the most. Namely; interacting with some very very talented, charming folks.

This song strikes me, beyond it's excellent musicianship, as a highly creative effort. I often feel the best songs/movies/books etc., are produced when the subject is something completely off the beaten path... something you'd expect the least, and are therefore moved by to the greatest degree. This song has that quality.

Waristan....who woulda thunk?

Execution: 8.5 of 10.
Musicianship: 9 of 10
Originality: 11 of 10.

Another great listen from a truly talented individual. I don't want to put any undo pressure on you, bro, but it's peeps like you, and the great work you do, that keeps me here.

Just sayin...

#10 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 April 2012 - 09:45 AM

View PostRobAsh15, on 25 March 2012 - 10:47 AM, said:

Jason,

I won't be penning an in depth review of this. Not that it doesn't deserve it. It absolutely does. In the very best sense. But, I am going through some personal medical issues right now, and I have discovered they are affecting my attitude towards things... a thing you and others here do not deserve.

Anyways, I listened to this little gem the other day. Hearing a new tune from you once gain reminded me of the aspects of being a member here that I personally value the most. Namely; interacting with some very very talented, charming folks.

This song strikes me, beyond it's excellent musicianship, as a highly creative effort. I often feel the best songs/movies/books etc., are produced when the subject is something completely off the beaten path... something you'd expect the least, and are therefore moved by to the greatest degree. This song has that quality.

Waristan....who woulda thunk?

Execution: 8.5 of 10.
Musicianship: 9 of 10
Originality: 11 of 10.

Another great listen from a truly talented individual. I don't want to put any undo pressure on you, bro, but it's peeps like you, and the great work you do, that keeps me here.

Just sayin...

Rob,
Back at ya! I'm a fan of yours! I think you rock harder than anyone on this board and I always look forward to hearing one of your AWESOME tunes. I truly hope your medical issue gets resolved quickly and painlessly. My prayers are with you! Thanks so much for listening B)

Your Fan,
Jason

#11 User is offline   TamsNumber4 Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 April 2012 - 06:56 PM

Jason,

I knew you were fab the very first time I ever laid ears on you...LOL!!

What a great lyric and the music of this is amazing...you are such a talent, you always knock me off my feet.

This is art, true art and you an amazing artist to me........fantastic and funny.......

Tammy
Visit my SoundClick site for songs

~Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time.~

Professor Albus Dumbledore: Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

#12 User is offline   Onewholovesrock Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Photography, Motorcycling, Good Beer.

Posted 13 April 2012 - 05:54 PM

This is the second song of yours I've heard. Very creative, interesting, and fun to listen to. Good stuff! This might sound stupid, and it's a matter of taste, but your vocals sound to clean to me. For me I would like to hear a littly more rasp or harshness in your voice, Not much, but some. Again, thats just my taste, I haven't heard anyone else mention it. Looking foward to hearing more.

#13 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:37 PM

Like I always say, for me personally, you've set the bar for what I expect from you quite high with your previous tunes. I'd have to say this one...if it was on your newest CD, I'd probably be disappointed by. It's a fun experimental tune in a genre I don't think I've heard from you, but it's not "Jason Kalman-ish" enough for me! :unsure:

The spoken bits feel kind of cheesy to me. The lyric isn't really doing anything for me either. I don't know where "Waristan" is supposed to be, if it's Afghanistan/Iraq...I don't understand why he had all these grand expectations. If it's a soldier...he expected to find true love? Beachfront? Maybe I'm just reading/hearing the lyric wrong.

Vocals are what I expect from you, in other words you're sounding great, especially the falsetto on "HELL!".

Drums need some polishing, dig the sound of them but they lose the groove in quite a few places.

I put it on a second time as I was writing up the review and it's growing on me a little bit but I don't think it'll make it very far up my list of favorite Kalman tunes. (I'm still expecting you to tell us "No Fairytale Life" was signed for an MTV show placement)
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#14 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:03 PM

Just came across this in the April contest. This one along with some of the others in the contest make me wonder what the heck I think I'm actually doing entering LOL! Thought it was outstanding. Great guitar work. My only quibble with what I heard is the mix in that the lead guitars could be up a little more. Not a big deal and maybe more of a preference thing. Someone might not like the style (I do) but you executed it perfectly. Sometimes I think we set a target for a certain style and not everyone is going to like that style, however we should all recognize if you've hit the sweet spot you were shooting for and I really do think you did on this one. Just give me geetars at 11! ;)

#15 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:50 AM

View PostOnewholovesrock, on 13 April 2012 - 05:54 PM, said:

This is the second song of yours I've heard. Very creative, interesting, and fun to listen to. Good stuff! This might sound stupid, and it's a matter of taste, but your vocals sound to clean to me. For me I would like to hear a littly more rasp or harshness in your voice, Not much, but some. Again, thats just my taste, I haven't heard anyone else mention it. Looking foward to hearing more.

OWLR,
Thanks for the listen! Really appreciate the feedback...something to think about.

Jay

#16 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 05:59 AM

View PostTamsNumber4, on 11 April 2012 - 06:56 PM, said:

Jason,

I knew you were fab the very first time I ever laid ears on you...LOL!!

What a great lyric and the music of this is amazing...you are such a talent, you always knock me off my feet.

This is art, true art and you an amazing artist to me........fantastic and funny.......

Tammy

Thanks Tammy!!!! I feel the same way about your tunes! You are such a great talent!
I really appreciate the listen :)
Jason

#17 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:03 AM

View PostFunkDaddy, on 15 April 2012 - 04:37 PM, said:

Like I always say, for me personally, you've set the bar for what I expect from you quite high with your previous tunes. I'd have to say this one...if it was on your newest CD, I'd probably be disappointed by. It's a fun experimental tune in a genre I don't think I've heard from you, but it's not "Jason Kalman-ish" enough for me! :unsure:

The spoken bits feel kind of cheesy to me. The lyric isn't really doing anything for me either. I don't know where "Waristan" is supposed to be, if it's Afghanistan/Iraq...I don't understand why he had all these grand expectations. If it's a soldier...he expected to find true love? Beachfront? Maybe I'm just reading/hearing the lyric wrong.

Vocals are what I expect from you, in other words you're sounding great, especially the falsetto on "HELL!".

Drums need some polishing, dig the sound of them but they lose the groove in quite a few places.

I put it on a second time as I was writing up the review and it's growing on me a little bit but I don't think it'll make it very far up my list of favorite Kalman tunes. (I'm still expecting you to tell us "No Fairytale Life" was signed for an MTV show placement)

Thanks Mark for the listen and feedback. I know this is a huge departure from what I normally do and i really appreciate the compliments for the Liberation album :) I'll have to PM you on some of the motivations for writing a song like this. It would make a lot of sense (I think).
Great to hear from you! Thanks again for listening!
your fan,
Jason

#18 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 06:12 AM

View PostScotto, on 15 April 2012 - 05:03 PM, said:

Just came across this in the April contest. This one along with some of the others in the contest make me wonder what the heck I think I'm actually doing entering LOL! Thought it was outstanding. Great guitar work. My only quibble with what I heard is the mix in that the lead guitars could be up a little more. Not a big deal and maybe more of a preference thing. Someone might not like the style (I do) but you executed it perfectly. Sometimes I think we set a target for a certain style and not everyone is going to like that style, however we should all recognize if you've hit the sweet spot you were shooting for and I really do think you did on this one. Just give me geetars at 11! ;)

Scotto,
Thanks so much for listening and providing feedback. I'm glad you competed in the contest this month as we need the infusion of new blood :D My lead guitarist Lance would definitely agree with you that he is too low in the mix...hahahahaha.

Thanks again
jason

#19 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The intriguingly beautifully strange.
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 16 April 2012 - 08:04 AM

Superb vocals Jason!
That high note ...just awesome.
And you have a very sexy speaking voice too :)
I must admit it's not my style of music - you know my music, it's so laid back it's a wonder I've not slipped into a coma.
All the drums in this kind of jangle my brain BUT, I can hear it's an excellently produced track and the other day when I listened "Waristan" was echoing in my head for quite some time, as will happen again tonight no doubt.

#20 User is offline   Wolf Kier Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:02 AM

Jason,
Really digging this track. I know a couple young folks who know this feeling exactly from personal experience, and one guy who's still "on tour" - indeed, not as sexy a proposition as it sounds. I've sent them the link...
So you had me from the get go. So much lovely candy in the music/audio/and vocal delivery here. The guitars and drums play around each other like enemy gunfire, brilliant.
What can I tell you? I want to hear more....

wolf.

#21 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Adding a few more degrees to this sultry night with the sound of my lonely saxophone, from out of a cheap, 5th floor, hotel room window, located just underneath some old, neon billboard.....you know, the kind that has a few of the lights just blinking.

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:11 PM

Hi Jason........listening to this again....and again...I really appreciate the "SKILL" and "CRAFTMANSHIP" you have incorporated in the production of this. Although it didn't "grab" everyone in the Muse's contest....it is bold, and in the right vein, it could go viral!! I believe it is that solid. I have no idea what genre this could take off in (Alternative...maybe, in a sub-culture of the Military)...but, it is VERY ORIGINAL.........now, that's doing something!! Good Job, Man! B) -Tom
"I Know The Truth By My Struggle Against It"

#22 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:20 AM

View PostWolf Kier, on 20 April 2012 - 02:02 AM, said:

Jason,
Really digging this track. I know a couple young folks who know this feeling exactly from personal experience, and one guy who's still "on tour" - indeed, not as sexy a proposition as it sounds. I've sent them the link...
So you had me from the get go. So much lovely candy in the music/audio/and vocal delivery here. The guitars and drums play around each other like enemy gunfire, brilliant.
What can I tell you? I want to hear more....

wolf.

BIG THANKS Wolf!!!! Appreciate the listen and for forwarding the link to our warrior heroes down range. Hope they enjoy!
Thanks Again!
jason

#23 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:24 AM

View PostIronknee, on 20 April 2012 - 09:11 PM, said:

Hi Jason........listening to this again....and again...I really appreciate the "SKILL" and "CRAFTMANSHIP" you have incorporated in the production of this. Although it didn't "grab" everyone in the Muse's contest....it is bold, and in the right vein, it could go viral!! I believe it is that solid. I have no idea what genre this could take off in (Alternative...maybe, in a sub-culture of the Military)...but, it is VERY ORIGINAL.........now, that's doing something!! Good Job, Man! B) -Tom

Tom,
Thanks so much for listening! Not sure what genre this song would go in. It reminds me of maybe some Van Halen and Rush....but not nearly as good :) Anyway I had a blast writing and recording this song. It was so much fun to just rock out!
Thanks again!
jason

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users