Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: My set up - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

My set up

#1 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 16 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

OK so i`m using :

A quad core PC with 6 meg ram
Motu 2408 + pci 424 card
Cubase and a ton of plugins my favourite ones are the waves ones for dynamics
Alesis monitor one monitors
Rode NT1000 Vocal mic
Ibanez gio , squire strat , tanglewood bass guitars
Casio Keyboard (can`t remember modelbut I like it ..lol )
pearl export drum kit.

Thats basically what I use for my music.

Dave x

#2 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:24 PM

Nice rig... I used a 2408 for years and years.

#3 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:23 PM

yeah I've had mine for a lonnnng time too. I think its just a case of if its not broke don't fix it . Its simple to use ,gives a great sound and its a good work horse so don't really have a reason to change it for the kind of recording i`m doing. I keep thinking about upgrading to a mk2 (which I had and sold when times were hard) or a 828 mk3 but to be totally honest I really can`t justify the cost.

#4 User is offline   AdamAsh Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:New ideas, how to make things better

Posted 03 April 2012 - 07:29 AM

AudioProUK -I am just getting started and would like some advice. Right now I just use my iPhone memo record feature, which is good for mainly capturing ideas. I am basically looking to create decent recording for 2 acoustic guitars and 2 vocals, keyboard and bass, though most of the time just me which is acoustic guitar and vioice. I have an iPad 2 and am open to buying a laptop if need be. It sounds like you are very familiar with this area, and I appreciate your help! I have a garage apt. room. I am mainly a singer/songwriter type and play acoustic covers also. Thanks!
Your gift is the present

#5 User is online   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 April 2012 - 07:39 PM

What kind of budget are you looking at?

Do you want to record all of these at the same time, or track separately?
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#6 User is offline   AdamAsh Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:37 AM

Alistair, Thanks for your reply, I forgot to check back here! I'm willing to spend up to $2K, but this is a guess because I also need an acoustic amplifier, and maybe a separate computer just for this. When it's just me,then it would be either 1 or 2 tracks. I would like the ability to go up to 16 for recording, with up to 4 simultaneous. I think that should be sufficient for what I need. Does that make sense? Thanks!
Your gift is the present

#7 User is online   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Sorry Adam. I missed your reply.

It's a tricky one. That's a perfectly adequate budget. I assume that you have a PC of some sort available, so not sure I'd spend on that right away. Maybe try downloading Reaper on a free trial for a month and see how it works on what you have. It should be fine and it will do all you need. If you decide to get a licence it will only set you back around $60. There is no need to spend more.

While it would be good to have 4 tracks recorded simultaneously, do you need them? Could you track separately instead (i.e. record two tracks at a time and then play along with the pre-recorded stuff)? Probably not if you are recording drums.

I'd look at an audio interface. There are loads around and the prices vary a lot. More inputs can either put the price up or lower the quality, but you could get something perfectly adequate.

Also, you will need mics and cables. Which mics is a huuuge question and you will get all kinds of opinions.

I assume the acoustic amp is for live work? You won't need it for recording.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#8 User is offline   AdamAsh Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

Thanks Alistair, this is very helpful info. I can get by with 2 tracks and then recording over. I have seen mic's costing my entire budget - so there is quite a range and I don't know if it's worth it. I will download Reaper too.
Your gift is the present

#9 User is online   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:53 PM

In terms of microphones, while a good mic will last you forever, there is no need to spend a fortune - especially at this stage.

Money spent would be better spent on decent monitors and some room treatment (which can be cheap). It will make more of a difference.

In terms of mics, you could get by with a single large diaphragm condenser which would work on both your guitar and your vocals. Mics at a reasonable budget that many speak well of include the AT2020 and the Rode NT1A (though some find the latter a bit "sibilant" -but I found it fine, and it is very low on noise).

You may find a dynamic mic suits your voice. In which case a Shure SM58 may well do just fine (or the SM7B, which is more expensive). If you are going to mic up an electric guitar amp, an SM57 is a good, cheap option and a very good workhorse.

You may want to do some stereo recording at some stage. A matched pair of small diaphragm condensers are good on acoustic guitar. At a good price, you could look at something like the MXL603s or the Oktava 012.

Finally, you may want to change the mic patterns. Multi-pattern mics are great, but you can also but caps for some mics (such the sdcs I mentioned above) to switch mode (to get omnidirectional, for example). A figure-8 pattern allows you to try out other recording types, such as mid-side.

Really, though a cardioid pattern large diaphragm condenser and (maybe) a reasonable dynamic should be plenty to get going.

Learning how to record and mix, however, is a long and painful voyage of discovery.

Don't neglect monitors and room treatment.

(Also, you may want to post something in "Recording Tips" - it gets more traffic than this forum and I'll bet you get more input).
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#10 User is offline   AdamAsh Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:54 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 20 April 2012 - 02:53 PM, said:

In terms of microphones, while a good mic will last you forever, there is no need to spend a fortune - especially at this stage.

Money spent would be better spent on decent monitors and some room treatment (which can be cheap). It will make more of a difference.

In terms of mics, you could get by with a single large diaphragm condenser which would work on both your guitar and your vocals. Mics at a reasonable budget that many speak well of include the AT2020 and the Rode NT1A (though some find the latter a bit "sibilant" -but I found it fine, and it is very low on noise).

You may find a dynamic mic suits your voice. In which case a Shure SM58 may well do just fine (or the SM7B, which is more expensive). If you are going to mic up an electric guitar amp, an SM57 is a good, cheap option and a very good workhorse.

You may want to do some stereo recording at some stage. A matched pair of small diaphragm condensers are good on acoustic guitar. At a good price, you could look at something like the MXL603s or the Oktava 012.

Finally, you may want to change the mic patterns. Multi-pattern mics are great, but you can also but caps for some mics (such the sdcs I mentioned above) to switch mode (to get omnidirectional, for example). A figure-8 pattern allows you to try out other recording types, such as mid-side.

Really, though a cardioid pattern large diaphragm condenser and (maybe) a reasonable dynamic should be plenty to get going.

Learning how to record and mix, however, is a long and painful voyage of discovery.

Don't neglect monitors and room treatment.

(Also, you may want to post something in "Recording Tips" - it gets more traffic than this forum and I'll bet you get more input).

Alastair, This is excellent information and seems to be tracking along what some of my research. I just purchased a MXL 4000 mic which is the large diaphragm type, it was on super sale at Musicians Friend. So I now have toe in water! I am going to get a separate PC so I can focus. The room treatment may be the biggest thing, I will be looking into that. I'll follow up in the recording section. I have seen some posts in the songs section talking about their recording settings, and it blew my mind - so it looks like a fun journey ahead. Thanks!
Your gift is the present

#11 User is offline   AdamAsh Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 April 2012 - 12:57 PM

Oh, and sorry for misspelling your name - my wife (from Yorkshire) had a son named Alastair, so I got you mixed up...
Your gift is the present

#12 User is online   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 12:38 PM

Actually, you could buy the E-MU 0204 at $129 and that will record at 192kHz .. but it doesn't matter. There is no reason at all to record at that sample rate. You definitely want 24-bit, but many good recordings are done at 44.1. 192 is overkill.

I'd look around. Pres are one aspect (but all will claim they are "pristine"). One very important factor is the robustness of the drivers for your operating system. Check the boards and see what people are using with no problems. Stay away from firewire (because fewer machines are shipping with firewire these days). Round trip latency is also important, depending on what you are doing. Generally, RME and Motu are best in this regard, but many other makes are perfectly adequate (M-Audio, Line6, Focusrite, E-mu, TC-Electronic (Konnekt) and Presonus all have their adherents. I use an RME, and have never had a problem.

Don't worry about the software it comes with. Generally, these are crippled versions designed to make you buy something at an inflated price. Reaper will do all you need for a much lower cost.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#13 User is offline   Lzi Icon

• Angelz Reign Productions
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wow...Everything lol...Music of course :)...I love my family. We love to travel.

"From one thing know Ten-Thousand things">----------Miyamoto Musashi

Posted 02 May 2012 - 11:10 AM

View PostAlistair S, on 27 April 2012 - 01:38 PM, said:

Actually, you could buy the E-MU 0204 at $129 and that will record at 192kHz .. but it doesn't matter. There is no reason at all to record at that sample rate. You definitely want 24-bit, but many good recordings are done at 44.1. 192 is overkill.

I'd look around. Pres are one aspect (but all will claim they are "pristine"). One very important factor is the robustness of the drivers for your operating system. Check the boards and see what people are using with no problems. Stay away from firewire (because fewer machines are shipping with firewire these days). Round trip latency is also important, depending on what you are doing. Generally, RME and Motu are best in this regard, but many other makes are perfectly adequate (M-Audio, Line6, Focusrite, E-mu, TC-Electronic (Konnekt) and Presonus all have their adherents. I use an RME, and have never had a problem.

Don't worry about the software it comes with. Generally, these are crippled versions designed to make you buy something at an inflated price. Reaper will do all you need for a much lower cost.

Alstair, have you listened to recordings made at 192 in comparison to those made at 44.1 thru a good DAC (Benchmark etc)? Oh, there is a difference. Will this difference translate though after it becomes an mp3 file or, even a CD at 16bit/44.1?

The answer to this question depends on many variables. You can hear "better" at 192 than you can at 44.1 for sure. This being true, it is up to how well educated your ears are whether or not you can hear the difference once the 192 file is bounced down to whatever sample rate it winds up at. So, if you hear better at 192, your recording CAN potentially sound better but, this has more to do with listening skill than sample rate. Everything winds up as an mp3. How well you listened can and does make a tremendous differnce...Is 192K worth the extra money? Depends on who is spending it, and what their needs are.
"Digital? is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and chop it into bits?"
---Rupert Neve

ANGELz REIGN Productions

#14 User is online   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:36 AM

View PostLzi, on 02 May 2012 - 05:10 PM, said:

You can hear "better" at 192 than you can at 44.1 for sure.

This is probably one of those arguments that will run and run all over the internet whenever it come up. Rather than replay it, let's agree to differ.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#15 User is offline   Thinman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Intoxicating Effects Of Beer
    The Twinkling Of Stars
    "Space Travel"

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:46 AM

Not even a dawg can hear at 192kHz

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic