Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: "That Could've Been Me" - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Forum Rules

>Please use the “Forum Guidelines” link at the top of the screen to read General Policies.
>Remember that these songs are only going to be kept up here a maximum of 30 days. Keep a backup of your work.

Rules for Posting a Song:
1) Please critique 2 or more songs for every song you post.
2) Please post only one song per day.
3) Please keep it tasteful i.e. no overt sexuality or obscene, offensive language, etc.
4) Please indicate the intended genre below the title of your song, and also what kind of a critique you're after. Is this a song that you'll be promoting commercially? Is it a song you wrote simply because you wanted to and you'd like to make it better? The more info people have, the better they'll be able to give you the kind of feedback you're after. And please PLEASE note - if you're not really after critique at all, don't post here. The Artist's Cafe is happy to hear your completed songs. This is the place to post if you want honest feedback and are prepared to take what is given (what you do with it, is of course, up to you).
5) Please post the lyrics along with the clickable link to your song's music.
6) Only post songs you have written or have permission to post. Please don't post cover songs.
7) It is polite to acknowledge critiques, but please don’t overdo it by “bumping” your thread to the top too frequently.
8) If you revise the song, please give a date and post on the same thread, or folks will unknowingly still comment on the old one.
9) Please be sure to visit other areas of the board to both learn and spread your knowledge.

Rules for Critiquing a Song:
1) The purpose of this forum is to promote better song writing by providing encouragement and constructive feedback focused on improvement. Strive to be courteous and respectful in your critiques, keeping in mind that we all come to this forum with different perspectives, genre preferences and levels of experience.
2) Offer constructive criticism and suggestions you think may help the writer make the most of his or her vision of where they want to go with their song.
3) If you think something really works, say so. Make an attempt to say why you think it does. If you see areas you think could be improved, explain why you believe they need improvement and offer suggestions, if you have any.

Anonymity often helps us forget that there is a person at the other end of our critique. Imagine, if you can, that you are speaking to the writer face to face.

Thanks!
Page 1 of 1

"That Could've Been Me"

#1 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Adding a few more degrees to this sultry night with the sound of my lonely saxophone, from out of a cheap, 5th floor, hotel room window, located just underneath some old, neon billboard.....you know, the kind that has a few of the lights just blinking.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:40 PM

Hi everyone......I've got a new song, and would love some feedback with your first impressions. I want to polish this up a bit, and would appreciate any input. Thanks!!

"That Could've Been Me"
by Tom Tognaci

http://soundclick.co...cfm?id=11500275

V1
Well, I use to wonder
How it might have been
With a big ole house, four car garage,
more money than I could spend
Living like a king,
In a fantasy where I
would have everything…
Everything money could buy

V2
Well, I don’t know why
I let this build in me
I knew it was wrong, it wasn’t right,
and perhaps a bit crazy
Oh, but there he'd be,
Just some guy on a magazine,
But I’d feel the envy
Turning my blue eyes to green

CH1
That could’ve been me………
Walking with that pretty woman by my side
Looking like that guy whose fortune’s just arrived
Living the life that I have surely been denied
And I’m all torn inside
Cause that could’ve been me

V3
I spent the next ten years
struggling with it all
I had lost my job; then, all the rest,
when the markets took their fall
I couldn’t pay the rent,
and the wolves were at my door
I tossed my last cent
in a well wishing for more

V4
While the good Lord moves
in a strange and subtle way
I was stretched beyond the point where I
broke down and began to pray
That’s when I saw him there,
looking bent and out of place
I couldn’t help but stare,
as he tried to hide his face

CH2
Yea, that could’ve been me
Sitting on that corner with my face in hands
Living like some stray amongst the garbage cans
Looking just like some old man no one understands
I know God has his plans
And that could’ve been me

BR
Of all what would have been...
Of all what could have been...
And of all what should have been...
...That could’ve been me

V5
I stood frozen in the highlights
of his fate
As I felt an awful burden
lift up from me like a weight
I felt freed inside,
as I turned to walk away
But, I almost died
when I thought I heard him say…..

CH3
That could’ve been me
Looking like the kind of guy who’s got it all
The kind of guy that gets up after there’s a fall
Someone you can go to when you’re feeling small
And he’s there standing tall
And that could’ve been me
"I Know The Truth By My Struggle Against It"

#2 Guest_David@HoboSage.com_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I have nothing but praise for this, Tom. This is one of the better songs and performances I've heard in quite some time - anywhere. You are a fine songwriter, guitar player and singer. You should be really proud of this one. Kudos. Bravo!

#3 User is offline   AudioProUK Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

Yeah I agree with David , the words and melody are great , the guitar playing is very good , could maybe do with a little polishing here and there but nothing really to worry about. I just pray that you can get this recorded properly because that`s the only thing letting this down at the moment . Great work !

#4 User is offline   Andrew Wakefield Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 16 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

I like this one a lot. There's always someone who's got it better...and there's always someone who's got it worse. Great lyrical dynamic. I think this one could be sold to Nashville for sure.

My 2¢

#5 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Adding a few more degrees to this sultry night with the sound of my lonely saxophone, from out of a cheap, 5th floor, hotel room window, located just underneath some old, neon billboard.....you know, the kind that has a few of the lights just blinking.

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

View PostDavid@HoboSage.com, on 16 March 2012 - 09:45 AM, said:

I have nothing but praise for this, Tom. This is one of the better songs and performances I've heard in quite some time - anywhere. You are a fine songwriter, guitar player and singer. You should be really proud of this one. Kudos. Bravo!

Hey thanks David..........I really appreciate your comments. I was on edge with this style of songwriting. Your affirmation means alot!.....I think I'll try this again!
Thanks......... -Tom

#6 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

View PostAudioProUK, on 16 March 2012 - 10:03 AM, said:

Yeah I agree with David , the words and melody are great , the guitar playing is very good , could maybe do with a little polishing here and there but nothing really to worry about. I just pray that you can get this recorded properly because that`s the only thing letting this down at the moment . Great work !

Thanks AudioProUK...........I can do this up a little better. Just waiting for the dust to clear..then I'll do it again.
Thanks again!!! -Tom

#7 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

View PostAndrew Wakefield, on 16 March 2012 - 10:16 AM, said:

I like this one a lot. There's always someone who's got it better...and there's always someone who's got it worse. Great lyrical dynamic. I think this one could be sold to Nashville for sure.

My 2¢

How small of a gold piece would it be to fetch 2 cents??
Thank you so much for the affirmation. That really means alot!!!!! -Tom

#8 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Living in my mythic song dreamworld as much as possible..

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Its a strong countryish song Tom -and one of my top choices in the competition..Very well musically crafted -with a good flow..
Could really hear this opening up with a spacious production..

I think some of the lines as they work with the tune are plain bad tho -and really need changing..

For me 'everything 'mo-NEEE could buy' sounds wrong as does 'abit crayZEE'

and 'i'd feel THEEE enVEEEY'

Its not how you'd say those words naturally....The melody on the song is good -so i'd seriously think about changing those lines.They just sound clumbsy n forced with those emphasises

#9 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

View PostScenesFromPalacio, on 18 March 2012 - 02:56 PM, said:

Its a strong countryish song Tom -and one of my top choices in the competition..Very well musically crafted -with a good flow..
Could really hear this opening up with a spacious production..

I think some of the lines as they work with the tune are plain bad tho -and really need changing..

For me 'everything 'mo-NEEE could buy' sounds wrong as does 'abit crayZEE'

and 'i'd feel THEEE enVEEEY'

Its not how you'd say those words naturally....The melody on the song is good -so i'd seriously think about changing those lines.They just sound clumbsy n forced with those emphasises

And it was pretty funny when Inspecter Clouseau (played by Steve Martin) was being tutored with English.....he just couldn't say "Hamburger"!!

Thanks Steve for your observations.....I value, in particular, the things I fail to see.
Thanks again............ -Tom

#10 User is offline   ryandsy Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:05 PM

Hey man,

I really love your chorus man - and just the whole message of the song. You've got great verses as well, but I'd change a few things with the phrasing. This is just my preference, but I usually try to write the same way that I speak. In other words, if I can't recite a certain line of a song and make it sound normal while speaking, that's a sign for me to tweak it a little bit. For the most part, the choruses flow awesomely, but I'd pay attention to some of this line for example:

"Everything money could buy" - - - - - > maybe "everything that I could buy"?

Also, same thing with the lines: "and perhaps a bit crazy" and "But I’d feel the envy "

Besides these things, I really love your song brau! :)

#11 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:22 AM

View Postryandsy, on 18 March 2012 - 06:05 PM, said:

Hey man,

I really love your chorus man - and just the whole message of the song. You've got great verses as well, but I'd change a few things with the phrasing. This is just my preference, but I usually try to write the same way that I speak. In other words, if I can't recite a certain line of a song and make it sound normal while speaking, that's a sign for me to tweak it a little bit. For the most part, the choruses flow awesomely, but I'd pay attention to some of this line for example:

"Everything money could buy" - - - - - > maybe "everything that I could buy"?

Also, same thing with the lines: "and perhaps a bit crazy" and "But I’d feel the envy "

Besides these things, I really love your song brau! :)

Hi Ryandsy..........thanks for taking the time to listen and comment. I really do appreciate the candor.
-Tom

#12 User is offline   doinker Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poetry, working-out, interest rates.

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Hi Tom,

Just wanted to chime in on this one since I admired this song during the contest. I especially like your great vocal performance on the recording and ESPECIALLY the lyrics to this song. It's a very heartbreaking song ... not unlike your HBreaking February song comp entry (if I recall correctly). This sort of longing and musing on regret goes to the heart of the human condition.

I wanted to share this song Bluefinger (youtube) by Frank Black with you since the lyrics are so similar (and very different). Hope you dig it. Keep up the good work.
http://www.soundclou...

http://thehitmachine.bandcamp.com/ - Sample and purchase professionally mixed and mastered record.

Make the world a better place everyday. It needs you.

#13 User is offline   dtrain1234 Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:write songs, cook food, play video games, watch tv, going to the movies, hanging out with friends,

Posted 19 March 2012 - 09:15 PM

I really like the melody on this one. A few lines in the chorus seem a bit forced. Good luck with this one.

Darin
Darin's Original Songs

http://www.soundclick.com/darinmartin

#14 User is offline   TamsNumber4 Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:02 PM

Tom,

What an amazing lyric, I can't get over how well thought out it is.

Love to listen to you play guitar on this, I never say anything helpful, I'm just a hopeless fan of yours

with an i-pod that begs to hold your next song..........well done my friend.

Tammy
Visit my SoundClick site for songs

~Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time.~

Professor Albus Dumbledore: Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

#15 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:05 PM

Tom,
Great folk song! Absolutely perfect blend of lyrics, melody, guitar arpeggiations and your voice. Loved the melodies throughout, good build towards chorus. Very clever lyrics.
Congrats on the 1+1 win. Now that I hear it again, I might have had you as my winner. I like it better the more I hear it. Funny how that is. The first time you hear a song, it doesn't always grab you, but after 3 listens I am hooked.
Cheers,
Jason
http://www.kalmanmus...

I have no idea where I'm going and it feels spectacular!

#16 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:47 AM

View Postdoinker, on 19 March 2012 - 03:03 PM, said:

Hi Tom,

Just wanted to chime in on this one since I admired this song during the contest. I especially like your great vocal performance on the recording and ESPECIALLY the lyrics to this song. It's a very heartbreaking song ... not unlike your HBreaking February song comp entry (if I recall correctly). This sort of longing and musing on regret goes to the heart of the human condition.

I wanted to share this song Bluefinger (youtube) by Frank Black with you since the lyrics are so similar (and very different). Hope you dig it. Keep up the good work.

Hi Doinker............I an so glad you liked it.....thanks for saying!!
As I really like the stuff you are doing, it's a pleasure to hear what you are always coming up with.
Thanks again!! B) -Tom

#17 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

View Postdtrain1234, on 19 March 2012 - 04:15 PM, said:

I really like the melody on this one. A few lines in the chorus seem a bit forced. Good luck with this one.

Darin

Hi Darin.....thanks for commenting.....It was a real rush getting this written...recorded...and posted. Yea..... the waaay I saanng some of the words felt very unnnatturral to some (I'm rather heartbroken, because that is how I say these words) :(

Thanks again..................... B) -Tom

#18 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:57 AM

View PostTamsNumber4, on 19 March 2012 - 05:02 PM, said:

Tom,

What an amazing lyric, I can't get over how well thought out it is.

Love to listen to you play guitar on this, I never say anything helpful, I'm just a hopeless fan of yours

with an i-pod that begs to hold your next song..........well done my friend.

Tammy

Thanks Tams...........You are so encouraging...I look forward to your opinions. Thanks alot!!!! :)
-Tom

#19 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

View PostJason Kalman, on 19 March 2012 - 05:05 PM, said:

Tom,
Great folk song! Absolutely perfect blend of lyrics, melody, guitar arpeggiations and your voice. Loved the melodies throughout, good build towards chorus. Very clever lyrics.
Congrats on the 1+1 win. Now that I hear it again, I might have had you as my winner. I like it better the more I hear it. Funny how that is. The first time you hear a song, it doesn't always grab you, but after 3 listens I am hooked.
Cheers,
Jason

Thanks Jason..........that's exactly how I felt with your song, "Razorblade". I hope you post it in the songs feedback, here. I've got some comments I would really like to share!
B) -Tom

#20 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

View PostIronknee, on 21 March 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

Tom,
Cheers,
Jason

Thanks Jason..........that's exactly how I felt with your song, "Razorblade". I hope you post it in the songs feedback, here. I've got some comments I would really like to share!
B) -Tom

Thanks tom, I should post Razorblade. I appreciate the positive feedback!
jason
http://www.kalmanmus...

I have no idea where I'm going and it feels spectacular!

#21 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

View PostJason Kalman, on 21 March 2012 - 06:46 PM, said:

View PostIronknee, on 21 March 2012 - 01:00 AM, said:

Tom,
Cheers,
Jason

B) -Tom

Thanks tom, I should post Razorblade. I appreciate the positive feedback!
jason

Yea...do that Jason......I'm having a hard time listening and commenting, right now....it's as though the wind in my sail has waned, a bit. But i will definetly make an exception for "Razorblade". B) -Tom

#22 User is offline   Dottie Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, music, anything creative. I actually enjoy restoring old cars, but I haven't done that for a while.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:22 AM

Hi Tom,

I know I commented on this on JPF but I'm listening again and I wanted to tell you how much I like this song. You had my high vote again in the song contest this month! :)

Dottie

#23 User is offline   daddio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm not all that interested.

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

Nice vocal, guitar, and melody Tom. I think the best crit here is the one from ScenesFromPalacio. You have several lines that don't sound natural. The melody forces the accent onto the wrong syllable of a word like crazy. Those lines really jump out and offend the ear which is a shame because the song is so strong in most other parts. Every word that's sung should sound the same as it would be if spoken.
I remember this one from the comp and loved your vocal and melody then. If you can rewrite those lines, this is a winner, IMO.
Lately I'm feeling my inner dog.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Hunter S. Thompson

"I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

My Soundclick
My Reverbnation page
My Facebook

Ain't That True 1+1 Song Of The Year 2009

When You're Cain 1+1 Song of the Year 2013

#24 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:48 AM

View PostDottie, on 23 March 2012 - 03:22 AM, said:

Hi Tom,

I know I commented on this on JPF but I'm listening again and I wanted to tell you how much I like this song. You had my high vote again in the song contest this month! :)

Dottie

Thank you very much Dottie!! B) -Tom

#25 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:54 AM

View Postdaddio, on 23 March 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

Nice vocal, guitar, and melody Tom. I think the best crit here is the one from ScenesFromPalacio. You have several lines that don't sound natural. The melody forces the accent onto the wrong syllable of a word like crazy. Those lines really jump out and offend the ear which is a shame because the song is so strong in most other parts. Every word that's sung should sound the same as it would be if spoken.
I remember this one from the comp and loved your vocal and melody then. If you can rewrite those lines, this is a winner, IMO.

I guess because it's mine.....I'm deaf on this. I have no doubt that you hear what you hear....but I've listened, and although I can annunciate and shape the words diffrently, I just don't hear the nails-on-the-chalk-board. But I sure thank you for taking the time and telling me how and what you're hearing. This is a matter that I will digest further.
Thanks again B) -Tom

#26 User is offline   AdamAsh Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:New ideas, how to make things better

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this one,it's gotten a lot of comments already, and it is a very good song. I liked verse 3 best, I just wonder if you could have gotten to it quicker, maybe with 1 verse instead of 2. The song pivots here and comes together to me it was as if I was listening to Bob Dylan. Nice work!
"As through this world you ramble, you meet some funny men. Some rob you with a six-gun, some rob you with a fountain pen" -Woodrow Wilson Guthrie

#27 User is offline   Thinman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The Intoxicating Effects Of Beer
    The Twinkling Of Stars
    "Space Travel"

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

I'm a terrible critter ! But I'll have a go.

I like this song - didn't set me on fire though. It's almost too perfect and too neatly realised and the narrator ends up getting on my nerves.

I do see why it is well-loved though - very nice delivery - a well deserved competition winner too.

I know I'm being hyper-critical here, but I found the story a little too "obvious" - everything was detailed in for me with no room for manoeuvre - or maybe I'm missing some of the subtler levels ?

Although I did like the "God has his plans" line - (man he's a weird planner !)

I never thought I 'd hear myself say this but I kept thinking the Chorus could be a pre-chorus and the "It could've been me !" line could be repeated and extended into a BIG chorus................to leave listener's singing "It could've been me.........." all day long

It could've been me
If fortune and fate treated me differently
Takin my place in history
The lucky old world that get's my legacy
It could've been me..............................

or some such................

Nice song though Tom - a pleasure to get beaten by it !

Robby

#28 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:45 AM

View PostAdamAsh, on 25 March 2012 - 01:59 PM, said:

Just wanted to add my 2 cents on this one,it's gotten a lot of comments already, and it is a very good song. I liked verse 3 best, I just wonder if you could have gotten to it quicker, maybe with 1 verse instead of 2. The song pivots here and comes together to me it was as if I was listening to Bob Dylan. Nice work!

Thanks AdamAsh for having a listen and for commenting.
I'm going to need someone a lot smarter than I to be able to condense this while keeping all of the key elements and sentiments. I think time will provide me the insight needed to do this.........maybe!
Thanks again B) -Tom

#29 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

View PostThinman, on 26 March 2012 - 01:27 AM, said:

I'm a terrible critter ! But I'll have a go.

I like this song - didn't set me on fire though. It's almost too perfect and too neatly realised and the narrator ends up getting on my nerves.

I do see why it is well-loved though - very nice delivery - a well deserved competition winner too.

I know I'm being hyper-critical here, but I found the story a little too "obvious" - everything was detailed in for me with no room for manoeuvre - or maybe I'm missing some of the subtler levels ?

Although I did like the "God has his plans" line - (man he's a weird planner !)

I never thought I 'd hear myself say this but I kept thinking the Chorus could be a pre-chorus and the "It could've been me !" line could be repeated and extended into a BIG chorus................to leave listener's singing "It could've been me.........." all day long

It could've been me
If fortune and fate treated me differently
Takin my place in history
The lucky old world that get's my legacy

or some such................

Nice song though Tom - a pleasure to get beaten by it !

Robby

Hey there Thinman.......thanks for stopping by!!
I need time to clear the air on this one. I feel that I'm not finished with this, but don't really want to get back into this right away. Just looking for some thoughts, and will get back at this when the time is right.
Thanks again!!! B) -Tom

#30 User is offline   RickDieffenbach Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:57 PM

Tom,

A story rich song, very enjoyable melody, and well executed as noted by so many others who posted comments. I'll just make a few comments.

1. The verse where you begin your lyrical turn around:

"While the good Lord moves
That’s when I saw HIM there,
as he tried to hide HIS face"

... I took the verse as meaning him/his being God, but the follow-on verse clarified that you are talking about a man. Each time I listened to the song my mind, ever so briefly on the 2nd or 3rd listen, still took it as being God.

Or, maybe did you mean there was a man but he was actually God?

Instead of :

Something like:
There was a man over there...

(One issue with having a verse that points to God, then withdrawing it, is that some people are highly sensitive to any words relating to God in a song.)

2. The line:
But I’d feel the envy

... I saw the comment from Scenes on "envy". I did hear an issue, but not what Scenes mentioned. The word "the" I thought should be dropped, and keep the melody of envy the same. It sounds like there is a rush of syllables at the end of that line that can be fixed by dropping the "the". This was the only line in the song I heard that happening.

As far as the melody of "envy", I think it adds a bit of punch to the end of the line, but isn't so much as to be overdone.

Crazy and money could by, to me, sound fine.

3. I know this is just a demo recording. When you go for real, there's lots of opportunities in the song for some subtle harmonizing I think.

4. The only other thought I had, and this is highly subjective artistic call etc, is that this is quite a rich story type song. I mean Harry Chapin type story-in-a-song. Really good stuff. (and here it comes...) But....

It is so lyric rich, I am wondering if the listener could benefit from dropping the very nicely done bridge, and replacing it with a brief instrumental. The benefit is a brief respite so the user can let the story soke in a bit, but also short enough that V4, CH2 "connects" more tightly with V5. The bridge isolates the two parts slightly. These kinda go together, and feel if we had a brief (emotional) instrumental, and then launch them direct into V5, it would really drive home the main twist in the story.

I may be totally off base here....

Liked the song much.

Rick

#31 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 April 2012 - 05:23 AM

View PostRickDieffenbach, on 16 April 2012 - 09:57 AM, said:

Tom,

A story rich song, very enjoyable melody, and well executed as noted by so many others who posted comments. I'll just make a few comments.

1. The verse where you begin your lyrical turn around:

"While the good Lord moves
as he tried to hide HIS face"

... I took the verse as meaning him/his being God, but the follow-on verse clarified that you are talking about a man. Each time I listened to the song my mind, ever so briefly on the 2nd or 3rd listen, still took it as being God.

Or, maybe did you mean there was a man but he was actually God?

Instead of :

Something like:
There was a man over there...

(One issue with having a verse that points to God, then withdrawing it, is that some people are highly sensitive to any words relating to God in a song.)

2. The line:
But I’d feel the envy

... I saw the comment from Scenes on "envy". I did hear an issue, but not what Scenes mentioned. The word "the" I thought should be dropped, and keep the melody of envy the same. It sounds like there is a rush of syllables at the end of that line that can be fixed by dropping the "the". This was the only line in the song I heard that happening.

As far as the melody of "envy", I think it adds a bit of punch to the end of the line, but isn't so much as to be overdone.

Crazy and money could by, to me, sound fine.

3. I know this is just a demo recording. When you go for real, there's lots of opportunities in the song for some subtle harmonizing I think.

4. The only other thought I had, and this is highly subjective artistic call etc, is that this is quite a rich story type song. I mean Harry Chapin type story-in-a-song. Really good stuff. (and here it comes...) But....

It is so lyric rich, I am wondering if the listener could benefit from dropping the very nicely done bridge, and replacing it with a brief instrumental. The benefit is a brief respite so the user can let the story soke in a bit, but also short enough that V4, CH2 "connects" more tightly with V5. The bridge isolates the two parts slightly. These kinda go together, and feel if we had a brief (emotional) instrumental, and then launch them direct into V5, it would really drive home the main twist in the story.

I may be totally off base here....

Liked the song much.

Rick

H Rick....and thanks for commenting........I'm entertaining the word "jelousy", in place of "the envy". I also think that editing the bridge out of the song would be a good thing.
Thanks!! B) -Tom

#32 User is offline   Wolf Kier Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 April 2012 - 01:56 AM

Hi Tom,
Really enjoyed your folk/country picking song... some nice picking too.
A great moral tale told in a gentle assuring voice. A bunch of stuff to ponder, for many many folks these days.
The only thing I'd consider is another look at the first verse. I think the 4 car garage, girls, is just a little overstated, compared to the much more "poetic" insightful lyric later on which was (for me) so much more elegant. I know the character changes through the story, and the transition is one of the great things about this song, but perhaps another way of presenting his beginning aspirations....

a thought perhaps? Hope it helps.

Really enjoyed and looking forward to hearing more.

wolf.

#33 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 09:43 AM

View PostWolf Kier, on 19 April 2012 - 08:56 PM, said:

Hi Tom,
Really enjoyed your folk/country picking song... some nice picking too.
A great moral tale told in a gentle assuring voice. A bunch of stuff to ponder, for many many folks these days.
The only thing I'd consider is another look at the first verse. I think the 4 car garage, girls, is just a little overstated, compared to the much more "poetic" insightful lyric later on which was (for me) so much more elegant. I know the character changes through the story, and the transition is one of the great things about this song, but perhaps another way of presenting his beginning aspirations....

a thought perhaps? Hope it helps.

Really enjoyed and looking forward to hearing more.

wolf.

Hey There Wolf...................Iceland?? Wow......I spent many years in Alaska....Iceland even sounds colder :D

Hey..........thanks for commenting, and I'll ponder your crit. Thanks again!!! B) -Tom

#34 User is offline   porcupine Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, baseball, comedy, my wife and son

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:30 AM

What a great song! I think it's a bit more in the americana/folk feel that country. Especial with knowing where the format of current country is. thats really my only crit is its catagory (aint that weird?!?!)

I love the storyline. Great work there. I dont think the story can improve. Some really good lyric lines : "But I’d feel the envy Turning my blue eyes to green" everythign overall great story.

Anyone say you have a Dylan-esc style of writing? Its very good loved the listen!

Porcupine
#1 song on Onstage.com's Holiday Playlist in Nov 2011 "Could This Be Christmas"
#5 song on Onstage.com's Open for Bon Jovi in May of 2010 "Turn It Down"
recorded and produced songs with several grammy winners and nominees
songs writen have been recorded by The Standard, Wooden Nickel, Jody Stapler and Prototype
see more of my music at charlieeschbach.com

#35 User is offline   Caladluin Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 April 2012 - 11:38 AM

I really liked the song - esp. the way "that could've been me" was used with different perspectives and meanings each time. Enjoyed it alot!
Caladluin

#36 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:38 PM

View Postporcupine, on 22 April 2012 - 06:30 AM, said:

What a great song! I think it's a bit more in the americana/folk feel that country. Especial with knowing where the format of current country is. thats really my only crit is its catagory (aint that weird?!?!)

I love the storyline. Great work there. I dont think the story can improve. Some really good lyric lines : "But I’d feel the envy Turning my blue eyes to green" everythign overall great story.

Anyone say you have a Dylan-esc style of writing? Its very good loved the listen!

Porcupine

Hey there Porc..........thanks for the gracious words........This song could be easily arranged into something more in the Pop genre, as well.....Country is just the vein I chose at the time. I do hear a nice piano rendition of this!
Thanks again for commenting.......... B) -Tom

#37 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

View PostCaladluin, on 22 April 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

I really liked the song - esp. the way "that could've been me" was used with different perspectives and meanings each time. Enjoyed it alot!

Thanks Caladluin........soo glad you appreciate what I was attempting...and I appreciate your commenting! B) -Tom

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users