Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: So Damn Blue - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So Damn Blue New pickups test

#1 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

I put new pickups in my main Strat style guitar and recorded this new solo on top of an old backing track this morning as a test.

So, more faux-jazz bluesy guitar from me. The Rev. David Seyboldt on drums, me on lead, riddim, bass, SonicCouture "Broken Wurli" and NI Vintage Organ.

#2 User is offline   SoddyBottoms Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:54 AM

Cool ! Always can dig some blues !
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Soddy Bottoms 2013

#3 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:44 PM

View PostGravity Jim, on 15 March 2012 - 11:44 AM, said:

I put new pickups in my main Strat style guitar and recorded this new solo on top of an old backing track this morning as a test.
Here's hoping you feel it.

Yeah, I'm feelin' it. :rolleyes: :)

Not being a guitarist, I'm curious. Do you folks change your pickups because they wear-out or because you want to get a different sound?
Please don't just answer with a "yes". :lol:

Reminds me of a story I once heard and I can't remember where or when(alzhiemer's for sure <_< ) but a guitarist guy was in a studio recording some stuff
and in the adjacent studio was Santana also working on some new stuff.
The guy had a break and went over to Santana's studio to have a listen. He was so mezzmerized by the sound of Santana's guitar.
He started a conversation with the man and got around to asking him if he could try out his axe.
Well, the guy tried it out but he coundn't come close to getting the sounds that Santana got out of it. :unsure:

Moral of the story.
Practice more and make your Epiphone sound great before you put all that money into a Les Paul. :blink: ;)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#4 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The intriguingly beautifully strange.
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 16 March 2012 - 02:26 AM

That's some fine playing there Jim and if that's what blues sounds like then I could get to liking it. Even the organ, and for me that's saying something :D

#5 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:25 AM

Thanks, y'all.

Danny, it is possible for pickups to "wear out," or become magnetically weak, but it only happens to really old ones. In that case you can replace them or take them to a a garage that specializes in automotive electrical and have them saturate the magnets. But guitar payers are most likely to change pickups to get a different sound. I just changed pickups in both my solid-body electrics... With the Zencaster, I'd been using the same ser of EMG's for about 15 years and had grown tired of the percussive "boink" they produced right around 3k (it's a feature, designed to make the pups sound "vintage"). I was also really interested in this new line of EMGs, the X-series, so that's what I swapped in. With my PRS, the original humbuckers were muddy, as they often are, so I installed a set of Seymour Duncan SH-1s, which really transformed he guitar. Unlike most guitar tinkerers, I'll probably leave both sets in place for another 15 years.

Desertrose, I know what you mean about the blues... Too formal, often too predictable, and frequently (in the case of current blues-rock on the Stevie Ray Vaughn tip) more about gymnastics than music. This is more like an altered blues, what Walter Becker might jokingly call a "12-bar doubletime pantonal blues with bridge." As for the Hammond, I'm not a good enough player to use it for anything but atmosphere. :)

#6 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

UPDATE: "So Damn Blue" was submitted to a TAXI Listing for a publisher looking for blues tunes to pitch for TV, and after being screen by the listing party themselves was "forwarded." Here's hoping that one day somebody on CSI walks into a bar as this is playing on the jukebox. :)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users