Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Aww man...I was so looking forward to this... - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Aww man...I was so looking forward to this...

#1 User is offline   RLD Icon

• Recording Tips Moderator & all around Groovy Dude
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:06 PM

Posted Image
Recipient of Coveted Muse's Muse Awards
Lyrics & Music Writer of the Year 2004/2005
Most Likely To Succeed 2005/2007
Song of the Year 2005/2008/2009

Grissom: "Pupa, stage three." Crime Scene Montage 2
Pop/Rock Tunes
Surf Music
Crystal's Story

#2 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

Here's an even bigger disappointment: the Mayan calendar doesn't predict the end of the world, in December of 2012 or ever. (I'm surprised that people haven't noticed that the calendar, which largely dictates planting and harvest cycles, is a big circle.)

What it predicts in this year is the return of one of heir primary gods. Westerners, with our Judeo-Christian Doomsday mindset, just figured that anytime a god returns, it's the end of everything so...

National Geographic debunked the Mayan 2012 Apocalypse in their pages years ago. But the craziness lived on. :)

#3 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:36 PM

I suppose that could be true, though it would have to be assumed that the Mayan Calender is also based on a celestial event such as what the Julian Calender is, of the earth's orbit around the sun in 365 and 1/4 days.
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#4 User is offline   Neal K Icon

• Smile. It'll do you good.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 01:43 PM

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The world ended over 12 years ago because of Y2K!

Neal
The forest would be silent if only the best birds sang.

#5 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 08 March 2012 - 02:00 PM

View PostBruce N, on 08 March 2012 - 01:36 PM, said:

I suppose that could be true, though it would have to be assumed that the Mayan Calender is also based on a celestial event such as what the Julian Calender is, of the earth's orbit around the sun in 365 and 1/4 days.

As I understand it, it's a lunar calendar.

It would have to be further assumed that nonsense like two-thousand-year prophecies are even possible.

#6 User is offline   Kenneth Bradshaw Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 March 2012 - 04:26 PM

I have a friend with a PHD in Chemical Engineering from MIT. He used to complain that the millenium did not end in 2000 and that smart people celebrated it in 2001. I told him, maybe so, but the really smart people understood it was all arbitrary and celebrated it both times. Ken

#7 User is offline   SatanInventedBras Icon

• Call me Cordelia
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2012 - 10:46 PM

I'm with Neal.
more of my writing
my soundclick
poetry and art online

i am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
thank you. we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
i need a lover that won't drive me crazy.
i brought my pencil . . . gimme something to write on!

if you love someone, let him fly. or break his wings so he can't leave.
on a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
the boob has been deboobed.
if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
kill one man, you're a murderer. kill a million, a king. kill them all, a god.

#8 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 March 2012 - 12:27 AM

HA HA Neal! That's so funny. I was gainfully employed through part of the late 90's for y2k until I realized it was nonsense...

#9 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 10 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

View PostNeal K, on 08 March 2012 - 01:43 PM, said:

I don't know what you guys are talking about. The world ended over 12 years ago because of Y2K!

Neal
I'd be embarrased to say how much money the company that I used to work for spent on that "sucker is born every moment" moment.
On the other hand, I wish I would have been smart enough to be the owner of a consulting firm who was goobling up all of the dough from that fiasco. <_<
Idiot me. :angry: :P
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#10 User is offline   Gordon Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:writing, science, weight lifting, ice hockey, nfl... seems there should be something else... maybe i'll think of it later...

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:49 PM

I think Gravity Jim has it right.

I say i think, because i am not an archaeologist or an anthropologist or any kind of Mayan historian, but i've seen things on history channel and similar with seemingly credentialed folk who say that if the Mayans were still around they simply would have extended their Long Count calendar... the world goes on...

also, the Mayans had no "leap year" but they didn't need one - their calendar was far more accurate than those we have had in the west....

took this from a website from a google search on "mayan calendar accuracy"... not being an expert in this field, i don't want to give the impression this is authoritative, and the History Channel programs are not always accurate... but as far as i know, this is all pretty much right...

We all know about Leap Years. That is when February has an extra day. The Leap Year corrects a slight inaccuracy in the Gregorian Calendar. (There is NO need for the concept of a Leap Year in the Mayan Calendrical System so do not ask if the Mayan Calendar takes into account Leap Years - the question is not valid but YES is pretty close to being right.) I am going to summarize information from here and here to explain how the Mayan Calendar is slightly more accurate than our Gregorian Calendar. I'll get more specifics on the calculations soon but here is the breakdown:

The accepted definition of a solar tropical year is approximately 365.2422 days.

The Gregorian Calendar year has an average length of approximately 365.2425 days. The Gregorian calculation for a year is ((400 * 365) + 100 - 3 = 146,097) / 400 = 365.2425

The Mayan Calendar year comparison has an average length of approximately 365.2420 days. The Mayan calculation for a solar year is divided by 5,124 year periods which give the calendar the increased accuracy.

The variation for the Gregorian calendar is .0003. The variation for the Mayan Calendar is .0002. Small numbers until you start working with periods of time greater than 100,000 years or so, which is what the Long Count is doing.

and from "howstuffworks.com"...

In recent years, as the conclusion of the Long Count calendar approaches on Dec. 12, 2012, doomsday theorists have predicted the worst. That Gregorian date is denoted as 13.0.0.0.0 on the Long Count, signaling the end of the current Great Cycle.

However, Mayan scholars and natives dismiss the apocalyptic theories, noting that end of the calendar would be regarded as a time of celebration, much like modern-day New Year festivities [source: Stevenson]. There are also no Mayan inscriptions or writings that predict the end of the world when the Great Cycle concludes [source: MacDonald].

This reminds me so much of the time a year or so ago, i was in a bar drinking beer and minding my own business reading a series of scientific papers on global warming. A guy came up to me and inquired as to what i was doing. when i told him, he reacted rather angrily and started shouting that global warming was a hoax and worse...

after a bit of a verbal row, we sat quiet for a moment or two... then he asked me what i thought about the world ending on Dec 21, 2012 - or whatever the exact "mayan" date is... i told him that I thought that was superstitious hype promoted by media, tv producers, and possibly some religious zealots, but that there was absolutely no science behind this...

Then he got mad. Madder than before. he screamed at me that there was no way i should be ridiculing this and demanded how i could insist this is not scientific!!

I believe he wanted me to go outside to fight.

Now, this is after i'd tried to discuss with him the physics behind infrared-active molecules - how water vapor, carbon dioxide, and really all other atmospheric molecules of three or more atoms absorb infrared radiation at certain specific wavelengths and re-radiate it in all directions, thereby inhibiting the earth's ability to radiate heat outward and consequently raising the surface temperature (without water vapor, carbon dioxide and several other greenhouse gases, the earth would be a snowball, devoid of life as we know it)....

after that explanation, he dismissed my "science" out of hand... then reacted violently when i dismissed his "science of mayan prophecy"...

amazing to me...

please don't sell all your worldly possessions, people!!

:)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users