Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: So cool. :) - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

So cool. :)

#1 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The intriguingly beautifully strange.
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 07:05 AM

I'm sitting here listening to keyboards and guitar being played next door in my daughters bedroom.
In there are two young teenage girls exploring this fantastic, exciting world of endless inspiration that music brings.
Just as books can enthrall and captivate, taking you to worlds in your head (and heart)so can music.
Although I've heard the same rendition of a song for the thousandth (is that a word?) time, and I do worry a little about the neighbours, I can't help but think how lucky I am to have MY sixteen year old, at home, safe, not wandering the streets or doing drugs, NOT glued to facebook, or anything else that might be detrimental to her physical or mental well being.
Sometimes there's just moments when it's so damn cool to be a parent and watch your kids evolve and "discover".

#2 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:38 AM

That is cool, Tracy. My kids are grown, both off making lives in creative pursuits, and I miss those days when Noah would show us his crude animations and Aiden was practicing jazz piano. :). It's also cool that your recognize the value of that lovely noise.

#3 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

Very nice! :) I think one of the things I used to struggle with the most in similar such situations was resisting the urge to go in and say things like, "That's sounding great; why don't you try this?" Posted Image

#4 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 05:12 PM

View PostDesertrose, on 03 March 2012 - 07:05 AM, said:

Although I've heard the same rendition of a song for the thousandth (is that a word?) time, and I do worry a little about the neighbours, I can't help but think how lucky I am to have MY sixteen year old, at home, safe, not wandering the streets or doing drugs, NOT glued to facebook, or anything else that might be detrimental to her physical or mental well being.
Sometimes there's just moments when it's so damn cool to be a parent and watch your kids evolve and "discover".

Not having any children, I can still appreciate where you're coming from about a parent's concerns for their children, especially these days.
I'm remembering the Stones, even back in my days, saying how much "useless information" was around.

And i can also remember how my folks would allow our band practices to go on in our cellar just about every weekend with no complaints about the noise.
You should be, (I don't like the word pride) let's just say, very satisfied with the outcome. Thanks Mick. ;)
I'll bet your daughter is also saying, "thanks Mother Me". B) :)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#5 User is offline   Jackie Chan's Wee Gran Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

I was once a leader at a camp for teenagers and we divided them into groups of 4-5, sent them away for an hour or two to write a song from scratch and then I recorded it on my multi-track.
My only regret is that I 'lost' the CD's, mainly because some of the kids where so embarrassed about what they sounded like that they didn't really want their mates hearing....but they should never have been embarrassed, some of it was amazing for scratch and I wish I'd keep the mp3 as I'm sure they love to hear their songs again now...oh well :)

#6 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

I remember the feeling of witnessing my children blossoming.

It was, and is, a privilege :)
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#7 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 03 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

As parents, the cacophony of our children is music to our ears, isn't it? If we could only find a way to extend that a bit further beyond the confines of parental tolerance.

My 14 yr old nephew is self teaching himself the workings of the keyboard. His favorite song is the theme from the American sitcom "The Office". I was visiting with he and family over Christmas and was driven to near insanity by his compulsion to perfect his rendition of it. I love him, but he's not my kid, if you get my drift. :lol: It didn't seem to bother my sister and brother-in-law at all, as should be expected.

My parents were equally patient with me and my sister when we were learning to play violin, going so far as to nag us about practicing more.

We know it's good for them, which is good for us.
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2008 & 2009
1 + 1 Song of the Year 2009 Ain't That True

My Soundclick Page
My lyrics and songs hosted by Lyricadia

#8 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:05 AM

My 9 year old did a recital late last year and nailed Frosty the snow man. He site read the music and played it very well. My kids amaze me on a daily basis...

Now he's trying to learn songs he likes which is the best kind of musical discovery.

#9 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 04 March 2012 - 03:29 AM

You know, I can't go to any kind of school performance without wearing sunglasses.
It doesn't matter who's kid it is, whenever I see those with talent get up and perform my eyes just spill over. I can't control it and it's embarrassing, lol!

#10 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 01:54 PM

Ha yeah my wife and mother inlaw were both in tears by the end of the performance LOL! OK I shouldn't laugh because I was moved too. My daughter did a nice piano piece. She's now asking for certain songs that she wants to do from the music teacher which is kind of cool. They're still young but they both read music much better than I ever have. I think it's at least a nice skill to have.

#11 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2012 - 09:34 PM

"I think one of the things I used to struggle with the most in similar such situations was resisting the urge to go in and say things like, "That's sounding great; why don't you try this?"

Yes! I know. Difficult to keep a balance of gentle suggestion and intrusion upon budding creativity.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users