Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Have to stop writing for at least a month or so... - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

New to the board? Introduce yourself! Let us get to know you. This is also a place where you can hold general conversations on music and Muse-related topics.
Page 1 of 1

Have to stop writing for at least a month or so...

#1 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 01 March 2012 - 10:22 AM

I'm sure you all know this song, but yesterday, I heard Darrell Scott on Transatlantic Sessions (BBC) singing "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive," accompanied by a killer brand of American and UK musicians, including Jerry Douglas on dobro. It's a perfect song, and a staggering performance (so glad I heard this version first, and not the Patty Loveless or Brad Paisley covers).

http://youtu.be/ZtSLMGc4VSA

I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to write anything for a while. :)

What's the last song you heard that was just so damn good you couldn't stop thinking about it?

#2 User is offline   John Paragreen Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Hey Jim, I'm the opposite, when I hear a song that blows my mind, it inspires me to write,
just by coincidence the track that I'm into just now is

Harlan County Line/ Dave Alvin, he's playing Glasgow in April, I'm looking forward to the gig

here's a link

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=lSU9vIzFCzk

all the best,john

#3 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 01 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

I should have known this post would be taken seriously, even with the smiley. So, to clarify: no, I'm not actually going to stop writing. I was being jocular, in the same way guitar players say, "I'm going to burn my guitars" when they hear someone awesome. I was just extremely impressed with this song,mre than anything I've heard in recent months, and I, too, find great songs inspiring.

#4 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:16 PM

View PostGravity Jim, on 01 March 2012 - 10:22 AM, said:

I'm sure you all know this song, but yesterday, I heard Darrell Scott on Transatlantic Sessions (BBC) singing "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive," accompanied by a killer brand of American and UK musicians, including Jerry Douglas on dobro. It's a perfect song, and a staggering performance (so glad I heard this version first, and not the Patty Loveless or Brad Paisley covers).

http://youtu.be/ZtSLMGc4VSA

I think it will be very difficult, if not impossible, to write anything for a while. :)

What's the last song you heard that was just so damn good you couldn't stop thinking about it?

I can certainly understand your sentiment. Fabulous everything about it.

The last song that drove me crazy :wacko: interestingly enough also involved Jerry Douglas, not for his performance on it (although his solo didnít hurt it at all ;) ),
but for the wildly risky harmonies in the Chorus.
And also for the prosody of the verses. :rolleyes:

Maybe- Alison Krauss & Union Station

Yesterday the odds were stacked
In favor of my expectations
Flyin' above the rest
Never fallin' from the nest
Tuesday came and went and now
I'm in a little situation
Maybe it's for the best
I can live alone, I guess

[Chorus]

Forgive me if I'm keeping you
Apart from better conversation
Hung up on all my doubt
Trying to sort the whole thing out
Tell me that I'm smart enough
To deal with all the information
Spinning inside my head
Every word he ever said

"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#5 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Living in my mythic song dreamworld as much as possible..

Posted 01 March 2012 - 07:57 PM

Its a great song..Fantastic performance n vocal too from darrell scott-undeniable quality....Has got so much more soulful bluesiness n interest than anything i heard in modern country..

About as far removed stylewise as you could get is this astonishingly brilliant 70s dreampop song which is my current obsession....Can't get over how utterly magical n haunting it is..Gaudio and Crewe were absoloutly fantastic songwriters

#6 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

A nice, lively discussion going on somewhere around here about song length.

The fact is undeniable. A great song, performed at this level, does not overstay it's welcome. 5 minutes. Every one of them greatly appreciated by me.

I'm with John. Hearing a really great song constantly inspires me to write the mediocre. :)

Thanks for sharing this Jim.

As for Alison, I like her well enough, but her voice can get to grating on me after a bit. I think I've always preferred male vocals anyway. If female, at least an octave below Alison's.

Wendy D and Sharon (scubed) are the exceptions, of course. :)
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2008 & 2009
1 + 1 Song of the Year 2009 Ain't That True

My Soundclick Page
My lyrics and songs hosted by Lyricadia

#7 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:16 AM

I was listening to some old songs and came across la villa strangiato by Rush. It's an instrumental. From a instrument standpoint it makes me want to grind everything I own into dust. I realize it might not be everyone's cup of tea around here stylistically but man. I forgot how much I enjoyed that song with all the changes. I used to make up stories to the music in my head as I listened to it but I'm a weirdo maybe...

#8 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 02 March 2012 - 12:17 PM

John, finally got a chance to hear your link today. Sweet. "She had a voice I just wanted to believe." Dang. Great Strat tone and playing, and that bass player is drivin' the bus.

Danny, that song is wonderful. Love the surprising melody and harmony, a great lyric... although, as much as I love AKUS and obviously admire her astonishing pitch and vibrato control, I have to agree with jonie... she comes closer to being a soprano than anybody I can think of in pop music, and I always prefer an alto. But the song is awesome.

Palacio, I have ALWAYS loved that record, and it's oddball structure. "It's hard to make-believe you're happy when you're gray" is such a great line.

I was working on a real piece of fluff when the Darrell Scott got dropped in my lap. Oddly, it actually helped me finish it, in a way, by inspiring me to completely give up on seriousness for a while and just lay down what the prospect wanted. It's in the Songs forum right now.

#9 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

Palacio, I have ALWAYS loved that record, and it's oddball structure. "It's hard to make-believe you're happy when you're gray" is such a great line.

It is...But its the tune n chord/mood changes which are the amazing thing about it for me.. B)

#10 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 02 March 2012 - 09:23 PM

The Four Seasons were popular in the day but largely under-appreciated for their musically innovative style. Frankie Valli's voice and his ability to hit stellar soprano notes was the highlight for so much of their career. And a great voice it was but there was so much more to appreciate about what they contributed.

I think this is a great example of a song where Frankie backed off a bit and allowed the music to take center stage. It was a hit song and made the top ten charts I think but maybe not as big a hit as others they'd had previously like their pop hits "Sherry" and "Big Girls Don't Cry". "Who Loves You" was a bit of a comeback hit for them. An attempt to gain a new foothold in an era moving away from the singer-songwriter near monopoly. They had a couple of hits out during this period. I seem to recall a lot of really great songs coming out during this "tweener" stage. A real mish-mash of stuff all competing for the next big thing. Unfortunately, disco won out, at least chart wise. :( and then we had the 80's. Oh well. The good stuff is still out there to listen to and appreciate.

I like hearing that it's still has legs. :)

Great song. I'd forgotten all about it. :)
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

My Soundclick Page

#11 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 03 March 2012 - 12:07 AM

View Postjonie, on 01 March 2012 - 08:00 PM, said:

A nice, lively discussion going on somewhere around here about song length.

The fact is undeniable. A great song, performed at this level, does not overstay it's welcome. 5 minutes. Every one of them greatly appreciated by me.
Here!!! Here!!! :)
One of my all time favorites, that as a member of a few bands we always used to play, is Blood Sweat & Tears
God Bless The Child

I love how they took Billy Holiday's classic rendition of this song and made it BS&T certified.
And only a tad under 6 minutes. B)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#12 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 03 March 2012 - 06:00 AM

Disco. I kind of like things about the best of it now, but back in 1979, when it killed my livelihood, I was not so happy.

I'd been on the road for almost five years, making union scale playing six nights a week doing the sensitive-guy-with-a-guitar thing (which I was pretty good at, as I actually was a sensitive guy and my Guld F-50R was the best guitar of all time, and when you're 21 and playing on stage 24 hours a week and practicing even more than that, you get pretty darn sharp). By 79 I was washed up: my booking guy said, "You can either get a drum machine or join a disco band." So I quit and started working as an advertising copywriter, temporarily. (Temporary = 16 years.)

Speaking of great songs, one I've been fascinated with for a while is Randy Newman's "Dayton, Ohio - 1903." Just two simple verses and a chorus, a piano part pared so completely down to its essential notes that it's like a Zen painting. It's not even two minutes long. But Newman's performance, his weariness and his willingness to let the song stand against the rest of his work (you know what kind of snarky guy is singing this) produces a chairoscuro effect, where the simplicity of the song's imagery is in stark contrast to what we know about the times. It's what he DOESN'T sing that rings loudest.

Never mind the Harry Nlsson version from Nilsson Sings Newman. It is, like much of Nilsson's work, a lazy echo of Newman's original.

#13 User is offline   Jackie Chan's Wee Gran Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:21 PM

I'm sure you all know this song, but yesterday, I heard Darrell Scott on Transatlantic Sessions (BBC) singing "You'll Never Leave Harlan Alive," accompanied by a killer brand of American and UK musicians, including Jerry Douglas on dobro.

I love this series and bought the Transatlantic Sessions 2 CD a few year back...my favourite song was this one here, because they sounded like they where having such a fun time. Then when I watched on YouTube it was even better because you could see them having a great time as well..there is some great music from that series.

But the last song that stopped me has been this one, 'Goldfish' by Roy Harper...not sure why either
:)

#14 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the link to Ricky Skaggs and troupe, Jackie Chan's Wee Gran. It's always amazing to me how the music of our European ancestors has survived so wonderfully in certain places here in the States. Nothing proves the connection between us more than the musical roots we share.

Disco: When I hear a disco song played I'm generally overcome by youthful nostalgia but it pales in comparison to hearing anything by the Beatles or Simon and Garfunkel. I feel fortunate to have lived through a period of such musical diversity. It makes it difficult sometimes to appreciate what's currently out there. I tend to make too many comparisons and feel I might be missing something good in the offing.
George Orwell

Arthur C. Clarke

My Soundclick Page

#15 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2012 - 05:21 AM

Disco: When I hear a disco song played I'm generally overcome by youthful nostalgia but it pales in comparison to hearing anything by the Beatles or Simon and Garfunkel. I feel fortunate to have lived through a period of such musical diversity. It makes it difficult sometimes to appreciate what's currently out there. I tend to make too many comparisons and feel I might be missing something good in the offing.

I agree Jonie..I listen to loads of new music and make playlists on youtube - alot i enjoy- but even so in the end - for me it just isn't as good as the 60s/70s -even 50s/40s stuff before -so i end up constantly exploring bygone eras for inspiration..There's just more creativity,musical freedom n better songwriting for me there-its more rewarding..
Ironically,even the best of disco blows away modern pop stuff imo..
i don't even hear any modern pop with the transcendence n strange,sensual mood of something like this..Even tho i'm not a great disco fan or anything..Naff lyrics-Great chord changes n melodies..

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users