Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Help with an ageing voice - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

What do you do to avoid stage jitters? How do you come up with banter in between your songs? How do you keep your voice or your fingers from giving out halfway through? This forum is for discussions about live performance issues both with yourself, and with other artists that you admire. For instance, has any particular performer inspired you when you watched him or her perform? Have you played a particular venue that hugely impressed you? Are you the owner of a venue that accepts Indie acts? Let's talk about it!
Page 1 of 1

Help with an ageing voice

#1 User is offline   Terrydh Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2012 - 01:20 PM

I have been a singer/songwriter for more than 40 years, I am a male and in my 60's. I have had quite a bit of vocal instruction over the years and hope by now I have the basics under control (warmup etc). What I find now is my voice is very "loose" and pleasant and controllable in the morning but starts to get "tight" in the evening (of course that's when I perform!). I don't know if it's something I'm eating, drinking or whatever that's doing it. I have asked a couple of singing coaches but to no avail. It would be great if I could just book gigs in the morning! Is there anyone out there who has had this experience and what can I do about it???
Getting younger every day!

#2 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:19 PM

Get up much later.
Hip Pocket Music

"It is the best of all trades to make songs...
and the second best to sing them"

Hillaire Belloc

“SONG is the joint art of words and music, two arts under emotional pressure coalescing into a third.
The relation and balance of the two arts is a problem that has to be resolved anew in every song that is composed.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica

#3 User is offline   Terrydh Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:27 PM

Dang! Never thought of that one. Wonder if I can sell it to my her.

#4 User is offline   neuroron Icon

• A meandering Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:All aspects of music and sound - from the poetic to the scientific. Neurology/neuroscience.

Posted 24 February 2012 - 03:59 PM

View PostTerrydh, on 24 February 2012 - 12:20 PM, said:

I have been a singer/songwriter for more than 40 years, I am a male and in my 60's. I have had quite a bit of vocal instruction over the years and hope by now I have the basics under control (warmup etc). What I find now is my voice is very "loose" and pleasant and controllable in the morning but starts to get "tight" in the evening (of course that's when I perform!). I don't know if it's something I'm eating, drinking or whatever that's doing it. I have asked a couple of singing coaches but to no avail. It would be great if I could just book gigs in the morning! Is there anyone out there who has had this experience and what can I do about it???

How much do you talk during the day? That can really wear out/fatigue your voice - Much better if you alter your speaking voice during the day to a higher pitch, less throaty. Also make sure you drink a lot of water during the day and reduce caffeine as the vocal folds tend to dry out so anything you can do to maximize hydration - alcohol also hurts in this regard and unfortunately, we're more susceptible to this as we get older - good luck - Ron
Visit me at my Soundclick site: The RT Project - Or Facebook

#5 User is offline   Terrydh Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 24 February 2012 - 05:19 PM

caffeine!!!

You could be on to something there. Three to four cups of black tea in the morning. I know that onions dry my vocal folds out, and I'm sure other foods do too. I just haven't identified which ones yet. I'll try eliminating caffeine and see what happens.

#6 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 09:22 PM

View PostTerrydh, on 24 February 2012 - 01:20 PM, said:

Hi Terrydh,
Somebody else from my neck of the woods. B)
Except that I haven't gigged in almost 30 years.
More power to you for keeping it going.
I don't have any first hand info on your question but if you google "foods that help vocal chords" you'll see quite a bit of info on the subject.
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.