Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Song Of The Year 2011 - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Please read!

This is a forum where you can find all the contests that we run in the Muse. In the past these were run in different forums but now we are gathering them all together in one place to make them easier for you to find.

Each contest is run by the moderators from different forums, so you will find song contests from the Lyrics and forum moderators, lyric contests from the Lyrics forums moderators, and so on. The moderators will post the results and you can add your congratulations for the winners (or accept the congratulations of others).

Read the rules for each contest carefully, they differ for each contest. Don't forget you can judge contests as well as enter them.
Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Song Of The Year 2011 **** Results ****

#1 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• I got up off my pillow and I looked up at the sun
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 02 January 2012 - 09:49 AM

**** See post #3 for results ****

This is an introduction to the Song of the Year comp for 2011. In order to qualify for this a song must have been a winner or runner-up in one of the Open Format comps held during 2011.

Here are the contenders:

Maybe Lord Calvert Knows Why - Wendy D
I Know A Good Thing – ScenesFromPalacio
Best Days - Jason Kalman
Here Come The Strange – ScenesFromPalacio
The Strangest Feeling - ScenesFromPalacio
Girl On The Train - ScenesFromPalacio
Sail Away - Jason Kalman

The following songs are ineligible:

Better – chaplin (not active)
Sadder Now – somefellow (declined to post in comp thread)
When You're Ready – Nevergoback (not active)

In the past it has been seen as a disadvantage for an artist to have more than one song representing them so before we start any voting (and note that the scoring will be different form the monthly comps) and am going to invite both Jason Kalman and ScenesFromPalacio to withdraw one or more of their songs if they wish. The choice is entirely theirs and they may to choose not to withdraw any songs, and that is fine. I just need to know by Jan 6 via PM if they want to exercise this option otherwise all songs in the contenders list above will be in the final.

If anyone wants to check out song of the year eligibility you can find details here

So watch this space for further Instructions

Note: There will also be a separate comp for 1+1 Song Of The Year 2011

#2 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:49 AM

Here are the 3 contenders (with links) for The Musemuse Song Of The Year 2011

All you have to do is send me a PM stating which is your favourite. It will be a straight count, the song with the most votes wins.

Contestants are not allowed to vote
Only Musers who have been members prior to 1st Dec 2011 and have at least 25 posts are eligible to vote

You have until Monday 9th Jan to get your votes in - I look forward to receiving them

Cheers

Nige :)

#3 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 January 2012 - 08:50 AM

… the winner of

Song of the Year (Open Format) 2011

.........is

Strangest Feeling
written by ScenesFromPalacio

31 scorecards(all non-contestants):
NigeQ, Gordon, bubblingsoul, lyD, JOEINJAX, SoddyBottoms, MrFitz, daddio, Len, Scotto, spanishbuddha, Yamaki, jonie, FunkDaddy, Salley Gardens, obcbeatle, cindyrella , Simple Simon, Neal K, jimski23 , Joan, scubed, graybeard, fabkebab, Zeligovitch, Paddy O'Furniture, bernabby, AndyLeF, kimberlyinnc, Ironknee & Alistair S

Full result votes (percentages)
19 (61.29%) The Strangest Feeling – ScenesFromPalacio
8 (25.81%) Maybe Lord Calvert Knows Why - Wendy D
4 (12.90%) Sail Away - Jason Kalman

A big thanks to all 3 finalists I know it was a tough ask for voters to pick just one. Also special thanks to everyone who has either entered a song or voted in any of the song competitions throughout 2011.

Keep your eyes open for the 1+1 Song of the Year comp which will start shortly :)

#4 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 January 2012 - 07:28 AM

quick update

I have received 7 votes so far
every song has received at least 1 vote

Keep 'em coming

#5 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 January 2012 - 08:30 AM

27 votes cast so far - one more day to go

#6 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:46 AM

Voting is now closed - I will post the results later today :)

#7 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 12:29 PM

results are in - see post #3 :)

#8 User is offline   kimberlyinnc Icon

• Amused Muses Muser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Writing, music, theater, dance, dogs

Posted 10 January 2012 - 01:45 PM

Congrats Steve...that is an awesome song, one that stuck in my memory...the melody, the lyrics, everything... :D

All of the songs had some pretty terrific things about them..just to be nominated is pretty special.

Thanks Nigel...now, as you said, I will go back to checking out my belly button fluff.. :blink: :lol:
"Do what you feel in your heart to be right, for you'll be criticized anyway" Eleanor Roosevelt
“If it's painful for you to criticize your friends, you're safe in doing it; if you take the slightest pleasure in it, that's the time to hold your tongue.” ― Alice Duer Miller
~*~My songwriting websites~*~
www.littleikepublishing.com
www.reverbnation.com/littleikeproductions

#9 User is offline   Neal K Icon

• Guitars are good things
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:35 PM

View PostNigeQ, on 03 January 2012 - 05:50 AM, said:

A big thanks to all 3 finalists I know it was a tough ask for voters to pick just one.

It WAS tough, because I wanted to acknowledge the quality of the other songs, which were great. Still, I liked the simplicity of one choice.

Congratulations Steve, Wendy, and Jason... and to everyone who enters our monthly contests.

Neal
The forest would be silent if only the best birds sang.

#10 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:38 PM

I'm sure everyone felt the same way, but what a tough call! In my opinion, all 3 deserved the title.

Congratulations, Steve! It's a wonderful song! Congratulations to all 3 of you! :)

My vote (after much soul-searching) went to Wendy, purely on the emotional response it drew from me at the time I voted. I had no other way of separating them :)
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#11 User is offline   Paddy O'Furniture Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 02:43 PM

Congratulations Steve!

Wendy and Jason, you deserve congrats too! I really like all three of the songs.

#12 User is offline   obcbeatle Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Interests:My family, listening to music, composing and recording songs, playing my guitars, baseball, hiking, kayaking, reading, watching movies.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 03:54 PM

This was the first time I was able to vote in a Muse contest because I am so new. I have to tell you it was a very tough vote! I felt all 3 songs were top rate. Congratulations to Steve, Wendy, and Jason for these fine efforts!

Steve: Even though I've only been hear a short time I already look forward to listening to your songs when you post!. They have a quality that I really like and wish I could embody more in my own music as Pop/Rock is my favorite genre and the genre I primarily write in. I'm looking forward to hearing more of your songs!

Wendy: The emotion in your recording of Maybe Lord Calvert Knows Why is very moving from beginning to end. Stripped down to just guitar and vocal it is a very powerful song! And the lyrics are great. It got my vote! Hope to hear more of your songs soon!

Jason: Like Steve, I look forward to hearing your songs as you post them. They are always of high quality and always include a musical hook (particularly in the vocal) that I'm trying to learn from since I think you write very professionally. I also enjoy your interesting chord progressions and great lyrics! I look forward to listening to more of your songs in the future!

#13 User is offline   AndyLeF Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Life, the Universe and everything...

Posted 10 January 2012 - 05:57 PM

I had the strangest feeling ScenesFromPalacio might win – maybe lord Calvert knows why!
All three songs can sail away into the sunset in the knowledge of a job very well done.

Looking forward to hearing more songs from you guys!

Andy
AndyLeF - itunes - myspace - soundclick

TO A POET A THOUSAND YEARS HENCE - James Elroy Flecker (1884-1915)
"I who am dead a thousand years, and wrote this sweet archaic song,
Send you my words for messengers..."

#14 User is offline   MrFitz Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 10 January 2012 - 07:23 PM

Congrats Steve a worthy winner, a brilliant track a catchy melody and well thought out lyrics! You had my vote!

A great final 3 any one of these 3 songs would deserve to win. Wendy's was beautiful and the emotion in the voice an lyrics was wonderful. And Jason's recordings are always great - a fantastic lyric and a catchy tune!

Well done all 3!

#15 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 10 January 2012 - 11:47 PM

Three great songs - one vote. In the end I went for the ear-worm amongst them (and I mean that in a very good way). "Strangest Feeling" sowed its roots in my head from the very first hearing, and I think that's one of the things a truly great (as distinct from excellent) song needs to do.

#16 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Living in my mythic song dreamworld as much as possible..

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:12 AM

Thanx for the kind words,for nige running this so enthusiastically and to everyone for voting here-much appreciated
Its really cool to be in the song of the year contest here-and cooler still to win it !
Really enjoyed Jasons and Wendy's songs here too..
I've loved musesmuse since i got here in April last year.A great group of generous-spirited broad-minded people,mainly into the music for the art...
That seems so rare nowadays
My favourite place on the 'net now
Looking forward to all the song comps next year too ! :)

#17 User is offline   Jason Kalman Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music

Posted 11 January 2012 - 07:54 AM

Thanks Nige, the unsung, but great singing hero of this contest :)

Wendy's song blew me away the first time i heard it back in May. The gut wrenching story and chillingly beautiful melody killed me. But I enjoyed dying. She painted such a poignant story, I could see the little girl without shoes on her feet so sad. All she wanted was for her daddy to hug her and be there for her, but he couldn't. I wanted to reach out and save her. The chorus was so painfully gorgeous and the backing vocals were so perfect. The simple arrangement was just right. Old fashion acoustic country is what I would classify it. Timeless classic. It would've had my vote.

Steve. Wow. Steve has a talent that no amount of training can teach. An instinct on melody that is so natural. His feel for music is always spot on. The lush arrangements with gobs of harmony, sweet guitar licks just at the right time, keyboard swells...I could go on and on. His music also just makes you feel good. If you haven't purchased his album, go to itunes and get it, I did and absolutely LOVE IT!!!!

Everyone on this board, especially the active ones, are the reason I keep coming back. All of you have raised the bar of songwriting greatness and I feel I have learned and grown so much thanks to all the feedback I've gotten over the last almost 2 years I've been apart of this community.

I can't wait to hear all the amazing songs that will be posted this year.

Keep writing!
jason
http://www.kalmanmus...

I have no idea where I'm going and it feels spectacular!

#18 User is offline   Ironknee Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Adding a few more degrees to this sultry night with the sound of my lonely saxophone, from out of a cheap, 5th floor, hotel room window, located just underneath some old, neon billboard.....you know, the kind that has a few of the lights just blinking.

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:19 AM

Congratulations Steve!!

And congrats to Wendy and Jason.

ALL GOOD STUFF B) -Tom
"I Know The Truth By My Struggle Against It"

#19 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 11 January 2012 - 05:30 PM

Though it was tough to pick just one, I like that idea for purposes of voting, especially in the year end where all the songs have already passed the "against your peers" judgement.

Congrats Steve!
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#20 User is offline   Len Icon

• In the blood
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bit of this, bit of that, not much of the other...

Posted 11 January 2012 - 06:28 PM

View PostScenesFromPalacio, on 11 January 2012 - 11:12 AM, said:

A great group of generous-spirited broad-minded people,mainly into the music for the art...

Well, we tried to be in it for the money, but the money wouldn't have us Posted Image

Congrats Steve, my top pick, but also to Wendy and Jason for standing on the podium with him. It's always a pleasure to hear the best of the best.

Review, and so shall you be reviewed
Lyrics website Lyricadia

Lyric of the Year 2007 (Numbers Make the Man), 2011 (The Volunteer) and 2013 (All Pals Together)

#21 User is offline   Maurreen Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 12 January 2012 - 12:23 AM

Congratulations, Steve!
I'm not lost; I'm on an adventure.

#22 User is offline   SoddyBottoms Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Imported Banned Users

Posted 12 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Congrats on the win Steve ! Congrats to Wendy and Jason also, you had to be a winner just to participate...
I have been fortunate enough to get a great bite of the Apple of Life. One thing I know for sure. Watch out for the Worms!

Soddy Bottoms 2013

#23 User is offline   Wendy D Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:15 AM

I'm sorry it has taken me so long to post a "thank you" to all the voters and to Nigel. Thanks to everyone who voted for my Lord Calvert song. It was an honor to win the monthly contest and also to be included in the year-end contest with Jason and Steve.

Jason, thank you so much for your comments about Lord Calvert. I loved your song as well. I thought it was very romantic and the music/lyric were lovely. I'm a big fan of your stuff and was honored by your comments.

Steve, I love your tune as well. It's very catchy and I believe somebody said an "ear worm" which is how I would characterize it too.

Congratulations to Steve and Jason and thanks again to all the voters and to Nigel for putting up with us for yet another year!
http://www.soundclic...m?bandID=796147

"I'll be here waiting..unpatiently.." - My five year-old daughter Scout

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users