Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: A contract with a music director - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A contract with a music director

#1 User is offline   A Beautiful Disaster Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Music, songwriting and writing poetry, foreign languages, the Internet

Posted 21 November 2011 - 03:50 PM

Dear colleagues,
I am writing to inquire if any of you have an example of a typical contract between an artist and a program/music director concerning broadcasting a track on a certain radio station. I would be very grateful if you could share one with me - my client has kindly asked me to help him with that, but since I am not that good at law and it is the first time I ever have to compose an agreement, I would appreciate getting any knowledge and advice on this subject.

Thank you in advance,
April
Welcome to my website

My Blog

My songs on SoundClick

If you're a creative person and want to share your feelings, thoughts and ideas freely, with no limits or censorship and no set rules, join my forum!
My Forum

#2 User is offline   Roger Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:29 PM

It's not a contract issue, it's a license. The writer needs to clear their work with his/her performing rights organization and that's about all that they can do. There will be minimal money involved, so it's virtually irrelevant anyway, but that would be the correct process to follow.

#3 User is offline   Neal K Icon

• Smile. It'll do you good.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 21 November 2011 - 04:36 PM

You really need to contact an entertainment lawyer... but is this even worth your time?

If you're talking about one radio station playing one track a few times, we're talking an economic value of a fraction of $0.000001.

Here in Canada (and I assume the US as well as the UK) radio stations pay a licensing fee to play copyright music, as do television stations, and -- in theory -- restaurants and bars. This fee goes to performance royalty organizations like ASCAP, BMI and SESAC. Radio stations submit their playlists and this is how the royalty organizations determine how much to pay publishers who, in turn, pay the songwriters.

I don't think there even is such a thing as a contract between an artist and a program director. In fact, there aren't many program directors anymore either - most radio stations are owned by large corporations and most of the programming is done in a head office. It's usually just small, independant radio stations have program directors these days.

Sorry, that wasn't much help

Neal
The forest would be silent if only the best birds sang.

#4 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 November 2011 - 05:35 PM

View PostA Beautiful Disaster, on 21 November 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

my client has kindly asked me to help him with that, but since I am not that good at law and it is the first time I ever have to compose an agreement, I would appreciate getting any knowledge and advice on this subject.

Sorry but what are you contracted to do for your client? If it's your job to compose licensing/usage agreements, you should know that one isn't needed in this circumstance. If it's not your job...why are you doing it? I don't ask my mechanic for legal advice and I don't ask my lawyer to change my oil.

Have them register their song with a PRO (as in performing rights organization, not a professional) I believe they take care of the rest.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users