Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Sign Up is now open. - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

#1 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:14 AM

The sign up period is now open for the next Collaboration Contest.

For those who are new to this site, here is a quick rundown of how this contest works.

To be eligible to enter you must have been a member for the past 30 days and have had at least one post put up for critique or review in the Lyric, Song or Instrumental forums.

The sign up period will run for approximately one week, to enter simply indicate (in this thread) whether you would like to participate as either a Lyricist or Musician, or if you are willing to participate in either role. We usually have more lyricist sign up then available musicians.

The role of the lyricist is to write the lyrics of the song. The role of the musician is to write the music for those lyrics, record the song and post it on a hosting site.

Once the sign up period is over, teams of one lyricist and one musician will be paired together as a collaborative songwriting partnership.

The start of the contest will commence with the announcement of the teams, the requirements of the song for the lyricist and musician to follow, additional rules and the time limit for completion.

Once the the time limit is up, judging and voting by both participants and non-participates will begin.

Please remember that teams will be made up from the available pool of musicians and lyricists, so sign up early to ensure you have a spot in this contest, first come, first served.

To the returning participants of this contest please include the names of the past partners you collaborated with in the past two contests. (if applicable) I have a good memory, but it's short.

A big thanks to all the members who made suggestions for the requierments of this contest, and for the most part for the next two or three contests to come.

And as a result of those suggestions the time line for this contest will be a run of a full four weeks, and you won't want to miss out on this one folks.

Bruce

PS: I will be deleting that suggestion thread so as to avoid any confussion and keep this forum tidy.
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#2 User is offline   graybeard Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:36 AM

I'd like to participate. Lyrics only.

Thanks.

#3 User is offline   stewart alexander Icon

• www.stewartalexander.net
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:48 AM

my productions are crap..
but I'm happy to be a musican or a lyric writer :)

:)

#4 User is offline   SatanInventedBras Icon

• Call me Cordelia
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:13 AM

Sign me up as a lyricist again!

Previous partners (sheesh, that sounds... ;) ) : neuroron (twice), daddio and FunkDaddy (back in the day) :D
more of my writing
my soundclick
poetry and art online

i am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
thank you. we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
i need a lover that won't drive me crazy.
i brought my pencil . . . gimme something to write on!

if you love someone, let him fly. or break his wings so he can't leave.
on a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
the boob has been deboobed.
if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
kill one man, you're a murderer. kill a million, a king. kill them all, a god.

#5 User is offline   neuroron Icon

• A meandering Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All aspects of music and sound - from the poetic to the scientific. Neurology/neuroscience.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 10:21 AM

Sign me up as a musician, previous partners (in reverse order): SatanInventedBras, Jonie, SatanInventedBras, Dale Hess, Joan
Visit me at my Soundclick site: The RT Project - Or Facebook

#6 User is offline   lyD Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:20 PM

Musician please - previous lyricists Alistair and Len, 3rd time lucky I guess... :D
David Butler - soundclick

#7 User is offline   kimberlyinnc Icon

• Amused Muses Muser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, music, dance, but first is family, faith and my dogs

Posted 24 February 2011 - 03:17 PM

Lyricist please

Thanks, KIM

Previous collaborations on this contest was Nigel, Taylor B, and bubblingsoul. I am pretty sure these are the only oneson the collaboration contest though I have collaborated outside of the contest with several others, such as Alistair, Sarah, Zeek, Lyd, Neuroron, Gary, Valerie, several others.

It would be cool to work with someone I have not worked with before, but if that is too difficult to figure out, or team up with, and the person I have done one with before, doesn't mind working with me again then I will work with whomever I am paired with. :) I will just be thrilled to get to do it this time after my long hiatas from the contest :)
KimberlyinNC
"Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots"
****My Songwriting Website****
www.littleikepublishing.com

#8 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

Musician please!

My last collab contest partner was graybeard, that's about as far back as my mind goes :huh:
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#9 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:27 PM

Lyricist please! I could do the musician bit if we absolutely need to, but it would depend on the challenge, as I am limited in what I can do (though I'd give it a go if necessary!).

Who have I collabed with before? Kimberly, Jonie, Ron, Stew, Lyd, Wendy, Bruce, Len (kinda!) and a few who don't post any more (Ricky Horror, Bernabby, Jim Chapman .. umm.. can't remember). Apologies to anyone I forgot!
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#10 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Making music, of course!
    m24p.soundcloud.com for stuff that isn't on bandcamp.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 06:55 PM

I'd be interested in being a musician for this collab, BUT I'm going to be out of state on business from March 6th to the 17th, and then camping that weekend. Depending on when the contest runs, that might rule me out.

#11 User is offline   scubed Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Making music in the spaces in between

Posted 24 February 2011 - 09:22 PM

I'm interested & am willing to do either lyrics or music. This will be my first collab contest.
"First we sing, then we understand." -- Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

“Words make you think. Music makes you feel. A song makes you feel a thought.”
― Yip Harburg

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2012 co-winner

#12 User is offline   starsinmyeyes Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 01:42 AM

Count me in a lyricist please, (if ratios allow that is ;) ) I have worked with Neal K!
Click on the My Muse Channel link below for access to all my freshly inked lyrics

https://www.facebook.com/MyMuseChannel

#13 User is offline   MrFitz Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 04:22 AM

Id like to do Lyrics if possible - Previous partners = Fabkebab

#14 User is offline   BigPacer Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:54 AM

I'll pitch my hat in for this - I can do lyrics (badly) or music (badly).
Time possibly an issue but it does say we have 4 weeks to get through it.
First timer so no previous victims . . .

BP
Some days it's just not worth knawing through the leather straps

#15 User is offline   Len Icon

• Lost hat, cash reward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bit of this, bit of that, not much of the other...

Posted 25 February 2011 - 11:05 AM

Yep I'm game. Lyricist or (quite limited) musician, so nothing tricky with those music requirements Bruce. Three chords and the truth remember...

In the last two collab contests I've had lyrical relations with FunkDaddy (dominating but satisfying) and LyD (handled me gently though kept calling me baby all the time ...).
Review, and so shall you be reviewed
Lyrics website Lyricadia

Lyric of the Year 2007 (Numbers Make the Man), 2011 (The Volunteer) and 2013 (All Pals Together)

#16 User is offline   daddio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm not all that interested.

Posted 25 February 2011 - 05:22 PM

With deep misgivings about the amount of time I'll be able to devote, I'm in as a musician.

I've done it with Len and I've done it with Jonie. I do it all the time. I'll do it with you. I've done it with Billy, Bernabby, and Jimski123. Don't tell anybody but I've done it with Sibby. I've done it with so many people I've lost track. I've even done it with Scubed, who is new to the muse. So basically, when you do it with me, it's like you're doing all those other people too. :ph34r:
Lately I'm feeling my inner dog.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Hunter S. Thompson

"I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

My Soundclick
My Reverbnation page
My Facebook

Ain't That True 1+1 Song Of The Year 2009

When You're Cain 1+1 Song of the Year 2013

#17 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:06 AM

I'm going to stay celibate this time, but I'll keep myself available as a lyricist should someone back out at the last minute.
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2008 & 2009
1 + 1 Song of the Year 2009 Ain't That True

My Soundclick Page
My lyrics and songs hosted by Lyricadia

#18 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 05:29 PM

View Postjonie, on 26 February 2011 - 10:06 AM, said:

I'm going to stay celibate this time, but I'll keep myself available as a lyricist should someone back out at the last minute.

Sorry to hear that Jonie, well I guess that leaves first place open, and I'm sure the chellange that I have in mind, would have been right up your alley. Posted Image

And maybe I'll bring this up here, it's important if you are thinking of signing up to make sure you'll be able make necessary the time that will be required for this contest and the work flow that you will need to establish with your partner.

Some have more life then others outside the Muse, and their time needs to be budgeted, they'll still get the job done, however it's important the partner knows, that they are working to a time schedule. Ah yes, communication, that's the key.

Okay, so far we have as:

Lyricist -

Graybeard

SatanInventedBras

Kimberlyinnc

Starsinmyeyes

Mr Fitz

Musicians -

Neuroron

Funkdaddy

m24p - tentative.

Daddio - Pfffft, I know you can knock something off in 15 minuets Don. Posted Image

Bi- members - Posted Image

Stewart Alexander

Alistair S

Scubbed

Big Pacer

Len

Not to let the cat out of the bag yet, but the requirements won't be all that out of the ordinary for both lyricist and musician. Suffice to say the lyricist may need to spend some time doing research.
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#19 User is offline   Wendy D Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 09:46 PM

I guess you can add me as a lyricist. If you have too many, I will not play. My previous partners (in this contest) have been Alistair and Daddio.
http://www.soundclic...m?bandID=796147

"I'll be here waiting..unpatiently.." - My five year-old daughter Scout

#20 User is offline   stewart alexander Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:08 PM

my prevous partner was Alistair..

I'd love to work with anyone..

#21 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 February 2011 - 11:28 PM

Approximately when are we planning to kick this off? You have 4 weeks after kickoff to submit, yes? It looks like I'll have at least a full week of that so far.

#22 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 01:17 AM

View Postm24p, on 26 February 2011 - 10:28 PM, said:

Approximately when are we planning to kick this off? You have 4 weeks after kickoff to submit, yes? It looks like I'll have at least a full week of that so far.

Well here's the situation, I'm hoping to get this contest going by the 3rd or 4th of March, and then have it run till the end of March. The thing is, some members might be able to complete the song in two weeks while others may take the full four weeks to complete, I have no idea who will take what X amount of time to complete the song or how much they will need to communicate with their partner.

The other thing is I've never known a team to complete a song in this contest within one week and both be happy and satsified with the result. So unless you're able to stay in touch and communicate with your partner during the first couple weeks and then write the music to those lyrics with a week left, and both be happy with the result. I would normally say fine, but I truly would not want to put another member from here in that position.

So you may want to consider postponing your entry this time around and wait for the next contest to come by, maybe at the end of May.

#23 User is offline   lyD Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 10:42 AM

Am I not welcome Bruce? :)

#24 User is offline   stewart alexander Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:25 PM

ahaha sure you are bud.. sure you are!

ps.. love being called Bi ...
been a while.. :P

#25 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:59 PM

View PostBruce N, on 27 February 2011 - 12:17 AM, said:

The other thing is I've never known a team to complete a song in this contest within one week and both be happy and satsified with the result. So unless you're able to stay in touch and communicate with your partner during the first couple weeks and then write the music to those lyrics with a week left, and both be happy with the result. I would normally say fine, but I truly would not want to put another member from here in that position.

So you may want to consider postponing your entry this time around and wait for the next contest to come by, maybe at the end of May.

I'll be able to stay in communication and think about melodies and stuff. I just won't have access to my studio until March 20th. It should be perfect. Count me in. :)

#26 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 12:44 PM

View PostlyD, on 27 February 2011 - 09:42 AM, said:

Am I not welcome Bruce? Posted Image

Good grief, my sincere apologies David, I went over the list two or three times and I still missed you, sorry about that and of course you're more then welcome in this contest.

Okay, so far we have as:

Lyricist -

Graybeard

SatanInventedBras

Kimberlyinnc

Starsinmyeyes

Mr Fitz

Wendy D

Musicians -

Neuroron

Lyd

Funkdaddy

m24p

Daddio

Lyricist or Musician

Stewart Alexander

Alistair S

Scubbed

Big Pacer

Len

#27 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:30 PM

Take the tentative off, please. I'll be able to stay in touch with the songwriter and work on writing the music throughout. And for the last third of the contest I'll have access to my "studio" again.

#28 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 01:35 PM

View Postm24p, on 27 February 2011 - 01:59 PM, said:

I'll be able to stay in communication and think about melodies and stuff. I just won't have access to my studio until March 20th. It should be perfect. Count me in. Posted Image

I'll take your word on that m24p, however I'm still not comfortable with having a lyricist assigned to you who may not be willing to work with you because of your situation as you've outlined here.

I'd be interested in being a musician for this collab, BUT I'm going to be out of state on business from March 6th to the 17th, and then camping that weekend. Depending on when the contest runs

So I'll ask straight out on here, if any of the lyricist would like to volunteer to be m24p's partner for this contest.

If any lyricist is interested, you can PM me.

Thanks.
Bruce

#29 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 February 2011 - 02:08 PM

Okay m24p it's on, and you have a lyricist for this contest, and a darn good one at that.

All teams and song requirements will be revealed at the start of the contest,

Bruce

#30 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 12:58 PM

Just one more day left for sign up. The line up for Lyricist and Musicians now stands as:

Lyricist -

Graybeard

SatanInventedBras

Kimberlyinnc

Starsinmyeyes

Mr Fitz

Wendy D

Len

Alistair S

Fabkebab

Musicians -

Neuroron

Lyd

Funkdaddy

m24p

Daddio

Stewart Alexander

Big Pacer

Scubed

Decker

Teams, song requierments and further rules will be announced late Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Bruce

#31 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 March 2011 - 01:25 PM

View PostBruce N, on 03 March 2011 - 11:58 AM, said:

Teams, song requierments and further rules will be announced late Friday night or early Saturday morning.

Bruce

I can't wait! Been listening to some of the old collab entries from before I joined. There's some pretty cool stuff there! The suspense on the rules and teams is killing me. Well not really but I'm excited anyway. :)

#32 User is offline   scubed Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Making music in the spaces in between

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:17 PM

One too many Bs! :lol:
"First we sing, then we understand." -- Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

“Words make you think. Music makes you feel. A song makes you feel a thought.”
― Yip Harburg

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2012 co-winner

#33 User is offline   fabkebab Icon

• Ahh a newbie no longer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Fatherhood, Songwriting/performing, the mystery of "on stage charisma", The wide world, Gardening, People, Sports, trying to "get" America

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:00 PM

I will sign as lyricist- I have "musicianed" for several people, but only had a very few collabs where I wrote the lyrics
One man band (pop-folk-rock):
http://www.soundclic...dmanscorner.htm

Full 5 person band: (trad folk):
http://www.soundclic...oversreturn.htm

Actual amateurish home made website with tons of wondrous content
http://www.fabkebab.com

#34 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:05 AM

View Postscubed, on 03 March 2011 - 07:17 PM, said:

One too many Bs! Posted Image

Okay, enough with the denial, I'll make an appointment with the optometrist, these cheap drugstore reading glasses just aren't cutting it anymore Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2011 - 01:24 AM

View Postfabkebab, on 03 March 2011 - 09:00 PM, said:

I will sign as lyricist- I have "musicianed" for several people, but only had a very few collabs where I wrote the lyrics

Now we need one more musician to sign up within the next 23 hours for Fab to get into this contest, I might consider waiting a bit longer, but it looks like m24p might have a conniption if we do. Posted Image

#36 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 March 2011 - 11:19 AM

View PostBruce N, on 04 March 2011 - 12:24 AM, said:

I might consider waiting a bit longer, but it looks like m24p might have a conniption if we do. Posted Image

LOL, we can wait a bit.

#37 User is offline   Decker Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Songwriting, Music, Engineering, Production, Reading / Watching Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Playing Footy, Eating, Drinking and being Merry.

Posted 04 March 2011 - 04:59 PM

Hi Guys,

If there's still time, count me in as a musician or lyricist, just whatever's required to even things up.

Hope you're all well!

JP
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It takes a few minutes to debate whether you should try an idea, and a few seconds to actually try the idea. Just try the idea. :)
When collaborating electronically, or otherwise, try to be as positive as possible in your feedback.
There's nothing that quenches creativity, or certainly drive & work ethic, than the shooting down of ones ideas.
Try to see things from both sides of the fence, take a walk in the other persons shoes.
Take a break every so often, a different perspective on things can help you along.

#38 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 07:55 AM

Oh boy !! did I pick a good time to do this ! Met up with some friends after work, on a Friday night. Chasing back some cool ones and other questioned sundry items. Please bear with me, I'm sure there'll be some serious edits in the morning...er...afternoon.

The sign up period is now closed. And thank you John Paul, your timing is impeccable.

Great turn out for this contest, 12 teams competing.......Ok I know it's only 9... just checking to see if you're paying attention.

I'll try and make this as short as possible.

So on with the teams:

Graybeard - Big Pacer

SatanInventedBras - Funkdaddy

Kimberlyinnc - Daddio

Starsinmyeyes - Stewart Alexander

Mr Fitz - Lyd

Wendy D - Neuroron

Len - m24p

Alistair S - Scubed

Fabkebab - Decker

The song requierments.

Edit Note: The strikethrough areas of the text are no longer a requirement for the lyricist and song.

For the Lyricist.

I thought we'd go for the ballad this time, to be more specific the Traditional Ballad form.

Definition and traditional description of the ballad.

In its simplest form, a ballad is a narrative set to music. Modern music lovers often refer to them as "story songs," as the term has been misused so often in the modern era.

A ballad is traditionally set to Common Meter - a poetic rhyming scheme that follows either the a, b, a, b, or a, b, c, b format. Th first and third lines have four stressed syllables, and the second and fourth have three.

For example:

In Scarlet Town, where I was born,

There was a fair maid dwellin'

Made every youth cry well-a-day!

Her name was Barbara Allen.

-- Barbara Allen, Traditional

Some examples of traditional ballads are:

• The Gypsy Rover
  • Whiskey in the Jar
  • Lord Randall
  • The House Carpenter
  • Cockles and Mussels
  • The Wreck of the Old 97

Examples of modern era ballads are:

• Gimme Three Steps, by Lynyrd Skynyrd
  • Hotel California, by the Eagles
  • Me and Bobby McGee, by Kris Kristopherson
  • Ode to Billy Joe, by Bobbie Gentry
  • Black Diamond Bay, by Bob Dylan and Jacques Levy
  • Alice's Restaurant Massacree, by Arlo Guthrie

Now the hard part, the type of ballad will be that of,

The Murder Ballad
A Murder Ballad is a specific subclass in the Ballad genre. A Murder Ballad is a ballad that--simply enough--describes a murder. Often it comes from a real life murder or death-- like the song Tom Dooley--rather then something from the musician's imagination-- like
John Barleycorn.

Songs that describe great tragedies can also fit into this subset. In The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald, by Gordon Lightfoot. for example, the killer is not a person, but the "Gales of November." the song was inspired by a Newsweek article Gordon read.

According to a legend of the Chippewa tribe, the lake they once called Gitche Gumee 'never gives up her dead.'" -- Great Lakes: The Cruelest Month, James R. Gaines with Jon Lowell in Detroit, ©1975 Newsweek Magazine Thus began the Newsweek article in the issue of November 24, 1975. That lead and the news magazine's dry story inspired Gordon Lightfoot to write one of the greatest "story songs" ever.

The song Long Black Veil, by Danny Dill and Marijohn Wilkin, describes a murder. However, the ballad is not about the murder, but rather the innocent man who is hung for it.

Some examples of Murder Ballads are:

• Nebraska, by Bruce Springsteen
  • Hey Joe, by Billy Roberts (recorded by Jimi Hendrix)
  • Pretty Polly, Traditional
  • Cocaine Blues, by TJ Arnall
  • Billy Austin, by Steve Earle

I would like for this contest, that the lyricist also strive for not only for a true fact based song, but also one of accuracy.

Requirements for the Musicians.

The Musicians can choose from one of four genres of music.

Keeping in mind that you will be writing to a prescribe meter and use of stressed syllables of the lyrics.

Genres:

Folk - acoustic instrumentation only

Country - acoustic or electric with acoustic

Blues - Delta or Chicago - acoustic or electric respectively

Rock - the power ballad - electric or electric with acoustic

If more clarification is needed, please ask in this thread or PM me.

Some rules to get you going.

All lyrics and music must be original

Rhythm tracks are permissible as long as they are not "Band in a Box" type.

Drum tracks whether real, programed or looped such as "Acid drum loops" are permissible

Vocal tracks may be preformed by either the Lyricist or Musician, or as a duet.

The contest deadline is April 12th.

In a couple weeks I'll open a Pinned thread for posting all the song entries and other relevant info of the songs.

I think that takes care of everything for now, but be sure to check back here for any updates.

Good Luck everyone

Bruce

#39 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:03 PM

If we wanted a female vocalist, would it be okay for my wife to sing it?

#40 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:50 PM

View Postm24p, on 05 March 2011 - 11:03 AM, said:

No, even though I'm sure your wife is a lovely singer, all music and vocal tracks must be that of the two participants only.

#41 User is offline   Len Icon

• Lost hat, cash reward
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bit of this, bit of that, not much of the other...

Posted 05 March 2011 - 02:54 PM

View PostBruce N, on 05 March 2011 - 08:50 PM, said:

No, even though I'm sure your wife is a lovely singer, all music and vocal tracks must be that of the two participants only.

Not to worry. I can always murder a ballad if I need to :)
Review, and so shall you be reviewed
Lyrics website Lyricadia

Lyric of the Year 2007 (Numbers Make the Man), 2011 (The Volunteer) and 2013 (All Pals Together)

#42 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

View PostBruce N, on 05 March 2011 - 01:50 PM, said:

Well, just don't laugh if one of us starts singing about the type of girl we are. :P

#43 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

When do entries need to be in by, Bruce? (Sorry if you have already said!)
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#44 User is offline   lyD Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 08:12 PM

Luckily I've been known to do a convincing impression of female backing vocals. I'm not sure why I'm pleased with that...

#45 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 March 2011 - 11:22 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 05 March 2011 - 07:08 PM, said:

When do entries need to be in by, Bruce? (Sorry if you have already said!)

I had mentioned it only in passing earlier in this thread, and should have included it in the rules segment, and will do so.

The entry deadline will be April 5th. I had said the contest will run for a full 4 weeks, so with giving up this weekend as a meet and greet for the teams, and working out time frames with each other, and for tossing ideas back and fourth.

This will give everyone 28-29 days in which to complete the song. Some may do it in a few weeks, some may need the full time period.

#46 User is offline   stewart alexander Icon

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:04 AM

sounds like fun!

I got Tracy.. now then, where's my whip!

#47 User is offline   neuroron Icon

• A meandering Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All aspects of music and sound - from the poetic to the scientific. Neurology/neuroscience.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 05:51 PM

In the course of looking up stuff for this I came upon the Nick Cave album "Murder Ballads", which is nothing but original "Murder Ballads" - It will be interesting and cool if our collective works somehow gel into a "True Murder Ballads" album.

By the way, really excellent topic Bruce :D
Visit me at my Soundclick site: The RT Project - Or Facebook

#48 User is offline   daddio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm not all that interested.

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

View Postneuroron, on 08 March 2011 - 05:51 PM, said:

In the course of looking up stuff for this I came upon the Nick Cave album "Murder Ballads", which is nothing but original "Murder Ballads" - It will be interesting and cool if our collective works somehow gel into a "True Murder Ballads" album.

By the way, really excellent topic Bruce :D

Ron, I'm on it. I already recommended that Nick Cave to Kim. :)
Lately I'm feeling my inner dog.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Hunter S. Thompson

"I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

My Soundclick
My Reverbnation page
My Facebook

Ain't That True 1+1 Song Of The Year 2009

When You're Cain 1+1 Song of the Year 2013

#49 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 07:54 PM

So, out of interest, how closely are people sticking to the traditional ballad form and meter? I'm asking because I don't want to be too tied to it if nobody else is doing so! :lol:

I mean this bit .. "The first and third lines have four stressed syllables, and the second and fourth have three".
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#50 User is offline   m24p Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 08 March 2011 - 08:16 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 08 March 2011 - 06:54 PM, said:

So, out of interest, how closely are people sticking to the traditional ballad form and meter? I'm asking because I don't want to be too tied to it if nobody else is doing so! :lol:

I mean this bit .. "The first and third lines have four stressed syllables, and the second and fourth have three".

Isn't that the important part?

As in: it's okay to have a chorus and bridge if you want, but the verse meter has to be that way?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users