Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Voyage-Air folding travel guitars? - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Voyage-Air folding travel guitars?

#1 User is offline   scubed Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Making music in the spaces in between

Posted 21 February 2011 - 09:26 PM

With the per-bag charges now making it expensive to fly with a full-sized guitar and more restrictive standards for carry-on luggage making my Baby Taylor unwelcome in the passenger compartment, I'm looking at buying a Voyage-Air folding guitar for future air travel. Supposedly, the backpack meets the standard for carry-on luggage. I've read some very positive online reviews of the instruments but don't know anyone who has one. Can anybody out there offer some feedback?

Thanks!

Scubed
"First we sing, then we understand." -- Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

“Words make you think. Music makes you feel. A song makes you feel a thought.”
― Yip Harburg

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2012 co-winner

#2 User is offline   AndyLeF Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Life, the Universe and everything...

Posted 30 May 2011 - 03:37 AM

Hi Scubbed,

I spent a long time looking for a decent sounding travel guitar. I tried quite a few and even the baby Martin had rather a 'toy-like' sound to my ear which initially put me off getting one. Also, a lot of travel guitars are weird shapes and must be uncomfortable to play.

Eventually I found and ordered myself the "Outdoor" Brunner guitar which I've been absolutely delighted with. The neck and bridge come off in one and assembly/disassembly takes seconds once you get used to it and it plays and sounds like a classical guitar. It even has a pick-up. The guitar fits into a small rugged case which is small enough to be accepted as hand luggage on aircraft and (more important!) small enough to fit in the back of the car without comment about the space it's taking up on family holidays :)

You can see a demo here:

Demo

and the Brunner web site is here:

Brunner outdoor guitar web page

I hadn't seen the Voyage-Air folding guitar untill I saw your post - it looks neat with it's folding neck - but, of course, the body size is full size (unless they do a smaller version) so traveling with it may still be awkward.

Good luck!

Andy
AndyLeF - itunes - myspace - soundclick

TO A POET A THOUSAND YEARS HENCE - James Elroy Flecker (1884-1915)
"I who am dead a thousand years, and wrote this sweet archaic song,
Send you my words for messengers..."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users