Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Butch Vig - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

This forum is specifically for discussions about recording & technical questions related to music making - both home and studio - including how to make your recording the best it can be, what equipment you can use to do that with and what studios you've particularly enjoyed working in. Also, website concerns as they pertain to your own or your band's musical web presence. Do you have any tips for those going into a recording studio for the first time? Web design tips for the musician/songwriter website? Do you have questions about these things? Feel free to ask them here!
Page 1 of 1

Butch Vig Q&A

#1 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:27 AM

Pretty cool, but unfortunately short, Q&A with one of the best producers in the business about a really well-produced album in The Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream"

http://www.gearslutz...mese-dream.html

I think Soma and Hummer had closer to 40 guitar tracks.

:blink:
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#2 User is offline   Lzi Icon

• Angelz Reign Productions
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wow...Everything lol...Music of course :)...I love my family. We love to travel.

"From one thing know Ten-Thousand things">----------Miyamoto Musashi

Posted 08 November 2010 - 03:28 PM

View PostFunkDaddy, on 02 November 2010 - 10:27 AM, said:

Pretty cool, but unfortunately short, Q&A with one of the best producers in the business about a really well-produced album in The Smashing Pumpkins' "Siamese Dream"

http://www.gearslutz...mese-dream.html

I think Soma and Hummer had closer to 40 guitar tracks.

:blink:

Really cool link.

I especially enjoyed hearing Butch's approach to tracking guitars full range, and then filtering them using hi pass/shelving to in effect separate each range of the instrument so, that each can be approached differently, and then combining them to create a massive wall of guitar. I loved reading that each of these separate tracks were individual performances because, I've been asked if I was out of my mind for not simply using the same performance copied, and re-eq'd or, reamping a DI's take out to different amps, or to modeled amps. Yeah man, it takes more time to do things the right way but, it makes a huge difference. Butch you'red the man.

Did you catch the part about the out of tune Mellotron strings? Haha! I LOVED Butch's answer! He didn't give a hoot about the intonation, he was much more concerned more about capturing emotional performances. Yup, perfection is for robots. You rock Butch!
"Digital? is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and chop it into bits?"
---Rupert Neve

ANGELz REIGN Productions

#3 User is offline   the Lull Between Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 12:27 PM

Thanks for the link, I also found it really interesting. I love that album, it's probably one of the last great analog records. I wonder when the transition to digital took place industry wide?

It's funny, to me personally the new pumpkins tracks (both on zeitgeist and the songs he's released since on the website) sound terrible sonically. Especially the vocals. The vocals on Siamese Dream were sooooo much better than what he's doing now. I wonder if his voice has changed or if it's just the recording/mixing techniques. You would imagine that he would strive to capture that sweet sound still, especially since technology should (I'd imagine) make it easier :blink:
Brooks
www.thelullbetween.com

#4 User is offline   RLD Icon

• Recording Tips Moderator & all around Groovy Dude
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 09 May 2011 - 04:05 PM

Butch did the latest Foo Fighters album.
Great record IMO.
Foo's played Letterman on 4/12...I had tickets for 4/13.
Alison Krauss was good, but the Foo's played a 2 hour concert after the show...DAMNIT!
Recipient of Coveted Muse's Muse Awards
Lyrics & Music Writer of the Year 2004/2005
Most Likely To Succeed 2005/2007
Song of the Year 2005/2008/2009

Grissom: "Pupa, stage three." Crime Scene Montage 2
Pop/Rock Tunes
Surf Music
Crystal's Story

#5 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:34 PM

View PostRLD, on 09 May 2011 - 05:05 PM, said:

Butch did the latest Foo Fighters album.
Great record IMO.
Foo's played Letterman on 4/12...I had tickets for 4/13.
Alison Krauss was good, but the Foo's played a 2 hour concert after the show...DAMNIT!

Agreed. Awesome record from all angles, songwriting to production, in my opinion. Butch most definitely knows how to put together a record.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#6 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 May 2011 - 02:11 PM

Not that I've turned anything out yet but I always like the sound of recording separate takes of the same thing with electric guitar and panning them around to create a wall. It's amazing how it can fill things up.

Great read. Loved the heavy guitar sound of old Smashing Pumpkins!

#7 User is offline   Lzi Icon

• Angelz Reign Productions
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wow...Everything lol...Music of course :)...I love my family. We love to travel.

"From one thing know Ten-Thousand things">----------Miyamoto Musashi

Posted 14 May 2011 - 12:32 PM

View PostScotto, on 12 May 2011 - 03:11 PM, said:

Not that I've turned anything out yet but I always like the sound of recording separate takes of the same thing with electric guitar and panning them around to create a wall. It's amazing how it can fill things up.

Great read. Loved the heavy guitar sound of old Smashing Pumpkins!

Yes! That's how you get BIG HUGE guitar sounds. It helps to change amps and guitars for every track, or at least change guitars, and amp settings. Amp models wsh out when you stack too many of them. I hate models, they sound lifeless, and fake to me. If you want to build a wall of guitar. Also change chorsd inversions here and there.
"Digital? is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and chop it into bits?"
---Rupert Neve

ANGELz REIGN Productions

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users