Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: 50 Songs in 90 Days - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

Where do you get your inspiration? What books have you read or seminars have you attended that helped you in this respect? Are there any specific techniques you use to get you writing? Feel free to discuss any of the creative aspects of songwriting in this forum. You can also use this forum to help inspire and to challenge yourselves. Make suggestions for song topics, talk about titles, discuss the differences between poetry and song lyrics, etc. Enjoy!
Page 1 of 1

50 Songs in 90 Days Are you up to it?

#1 User is offline   weirdrelatives Icon

• valerie cox
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

If you love writing songs and work well under a deadline, then this challenge just might be for you. 50/90 starts July 4, and it's a race to the finish to see if you can crank out 50 songs before the end of September. Actually there's no real race unless you want to make it one. Most folks don't finish, but it's a great exercise to keep your creativity flowing and learn ways to combat things like writers block and plain 'ol laziness. :) PLUS, if you keep writing, you're bound to come up with a few you really like. I know for sure myself and Corrine will be there, so you won't be alone.

50/90 web site is http://fiftyninety.fawmers.org/
My Fierce Summer ALBUM is available at valeriecox.bandcamp.com
Friend me on facebook: Valerie Cox
The Challenged Songwriter Blog

#2 User is offline   sw fla chip Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:family, banjo, guitar, journalism, education, tropical gardening, baseball, reading and writing non-fiction

Posted 27 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

I'm there again - think I got to 32 last year (including one with you, Val).
It suits my writing style, which is to crank out something in 15 minutes to a half-hour and move on to the next thing. It's also a good way to get over self-consciousness and the sense that a song has to be "finished" before others can hear it.

#3 User is offline   Corinne Icon

• I'm back
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Songwriting, Guitar Playing, Bird Watching, Reading, Watching Classic Movies, Being in nature, Writing Poetry, Being with Friends, Watching Britcoms (AbFab, French & Saunders, Vicar of Dibley)

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:45 AM

I'm doing it - I've written 5 songs so far (one with my new ukulele). Doubt I'll get to 50 songs though. :)

#4 User is offline   MrFitz Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 14 July 2010 - 05:48 PM

Man i wish i had the time! Sounds like a cracking idea but im gonna be away for most of august so won eb able to record anything - good luck to all you guys tho!

#5 User is offline   weirdrelatives Icon

• valerie cox
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2010 - 10:12 AM

Thanks for the good wishes MrFitz. Time, time, time. Yep, that's the stickler. Of course, if you sign up, anything you write this month or in September still count even if you can't do anything in Aug.

I've done 6 songs so far. I'm going to be a bit behind after this weekend, unless I bring my ukulele on the camping trip and write songs in the wild. That's a definite possibility.

#6 User is offline   MrFitz Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:51 PM

that is a good call could have a small go! Yer take it - Im taking a pad to italy to get some lyrics down - im sure Florence could be a good muse!

#7 User is offline   weirdrelatives Icon

• valerie cox
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 25 July 2010 - 10:06 PM

Anyone interested in a good challenge can also check out the 50/90 Song Skirmishes. They been having these for the past few weeks. Here's how it works, at the posted time (generally Sunday afternoon & Wednesday nights my time) they give you a topic. Each songwriter then has 1 hour to write (and record if you can) a song.

I took part in my first skirmish today. It was pretty unbelievable, and definitely a creative exercise. I wrote all about it in my blog too in case you want in the inside track to what a first time skirmisher does. Pretty crazy, but you can stretch your muse this way. Here's a link to the forum post from the last Song Skirmish if you want info. 50/90 Song Skirmish And the link to my blog is The Challenged Songwriter

#8 User is offline   Call-Me-Engell Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Guitar, bass, ukelele, drums, singing, songwriting, listening to music.

Posted 19 July 2011 - 02:25 PM

I've unofficially actually completed 50/90 before.
&soyeah
LedgeLovesLefty
The key to happiness is lowered expectations. -Chuckie Finster

FIN.

P.S. Don't call me Engell. The name's Meg.

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users