Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Marketing online for nonperforming writers - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

Good music publishers wear two different "hats." The first is that of "mentor and coach" -- to develop the skills of aspiring songwriters. The second is that of "promoter" -- maximizing the exposure and earningpotential of the song. This forum is the place to find out how to wear both "hats" effectively yourself if you don't have a music publisher.
Page 1 of 1

Marketing online for nonperforming writers

#1 User is offline   Janell Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:07 AM

Hi.
I was wondering if anyone here knows a reputible website where I can post songs I have co-written as a means of gaining exposure. I am a nonperforming writer.
Thanks!
Janell :rolleyes:

#2 User is offline   Neal K Icon

• Smile. It'll do you good.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 11 June 2010 - 10:32 AM

There are none. Sorry. Publishers don't go to websites looking for songs. Why would they when they get hundreds of unsolicited demos everyday? Besides, most publishers deal with staff writers, or writers they already know.

You might want to check out TAXI. This is a web-based service that helps connects songwriters with the various markets, but it's not a place where you post songs and people come looking. You pay a fee and they let you know what opportunties are out there - then it's up to you to submit your material.

It's a tough road for a non-performing songwriter who doesn't live in a major music center like Nashville, New York, or LA. Your best bet might be to see if there are any local artists in your area who are looking for original material.

All this being said, there are web sites where you can post your songs for "exposure." Soundclick and Reverb Nation are the ones that come to mind. But these are simply places where you upload your songs. It's up to you to find ways to get people to check out your songs.

Neal
The forest would be silent if only the best birds sang.

#3 User is offline   Janell Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 14 June 2010 - 10:25 AM

View PostNeal K, on 11 June 2010 - 04:32 PM, said:

There are none. Sorry. Publishers don't go to websites looking for songs. Why would they when they get hundreds of unsolicited demos everyday? Besides, most publishers deal with staff writers, or writers they already know.

You might want to check out TAXI. This is a web-based service that helps connects songwriters with the various markets, but it's not a place where you post songs and people come looking. You pay a fee and they let you know what opportunties are out there - then it's up to you to submit your material.

It's a tough road for a non-performing songwriter who doesn't live in a major music center like Nashville, New York, or LA. Your best bet might be to see if there are any local artists in your area who are looking for original material.

All this being said, there are web sites where you can post your songs for "exposure." Soundclick and Reverb Nation are the ones that come to mind. But these are simply places where you upload your songs. It's up to you to find ways to get people to check out your songs.

Neal

Thank you for your help.
I am looking into vocal training, too.
I will check out Taxi, Soundclick and Reverb Nation.
Janell

#4 User is offline   just the words Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Quiet country living. bonfires, cold beers, family and friends.

Posted 14 June 2010 - 11:51 AM

For what it's worth, I read a book called, The Plain and Simple Guide to Music Publishing, by Randall D Wixen. Someone referred it to me so I cold see how the business end of songwriting works. I'm certainly not expecting a career out of my writing but just incase that miracle happens with one lyric, I don't want to be totally naive to that end of the business. I was also told a good thing to have was, The Songwriters Market by Writers Digest.

Good luck to you!
Shellie

#5 User is offline   Lzi Icon

• Angelz Reign Productions
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wow...Everything lol...Music of course :)...I love my family. We love to travel.

"From one thing know Ten-Thousand things">----------Miyamoto Musashi

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:55 AM

:) Join your local songwriting association. If you do not perform, search for a writing partner that does.

Writing songs is like selling candy bars. You can have the very best candy bar in the known universe however, unless it's available, and everyone else knows where to find it, you'll have a hard time selling many of your candy bars.

You don't have to perform every night of the week, you do the shows that matter. The thing I believe people must come to grips with is, this is not the music business of the 1970's, those days are gone. Stop thinking someone is going to hear your songs and you're going to become a well known songwriter. Maybe it used to be this way but, not anymore. Remember, this is a people business. If you are the type that wants to hide away from the world, and write songs, that's cool but, you're never going to get anywhere with your head stuck in the sand. By all means, if it makes you happy, write your songs but, do not have unrealistic dreams of grammy awards if you don't won't to do the work to get them. There is a distinct difference between what it takes to have a real career in the music industry, and the dream of having one. It's a simple answer-ACTION. The world is not grasped by thought, it's grasped through action. You're a songwriter? Then play your songs!

"When you meet a man who is not a poet, do not show him your poems... When you meet a master swordsman, show him your sword."
"Digital? is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and chop it into bits?"
---Rupert Neve

ANGELz REIGN Productions

#6 User is offline   Sizzler Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 17 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

View PostNeal K, on 11 June 2010 - 03:32 PM, said:

Neal

I don't agree with the above. I have developed my own very simple website with an mp3 player where I can showcase my music to those I send the link to. I have had 3 libraries go to listen to the music which has resulted in the placement of over 40 songs each in three separate libraries. I have just sold tracks in one of those after being with them a short time so it does in fact pay (as it costs very little for a hosting service) to put your music out there where people can go to hear it.
Sizzler

#7 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 17 January 2011 - 04:29 PM

View PostSizzler, on 17 January 2011 - 10:40 AM, said:

It's up to you to find ways to get people to check out your songs.

I don't agree with the above. I have developed my own very simple website with an mp3 player where I can showcase my music to those I send the link to.

Sizzler, it sounds like you actually agree with Neal, as it was up to you to send your link to those libraries. That said, congrats on your success! Those are some pretty impressive results.

How many libraries had you solicited before those three "bit"? What was your marketing approach?

#8 User is offline   Tom Honeyman Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:03 PM

Sonicbids seems to fit somewhat into what you are looking for. The site collects contests and such and you can enter your songs for chances at prizes, airplay, reviews, performances, etc.
This is how the world ends;
Not with a bang, but a whimper.

#9 User is offline   Lzi Icon

• Angelz Reign Productions
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wow...Everything lol...Music of course :)...I love my family. We love to travel.

"From one thing know Ten-Thousand things">----------Miyamoto Musashi

Posted 01 March 2011 - 12:38 PM

View PostSizzler, on 17 January 2011 - 12:40 PM, said:

Neal

I don't agree with the above. I have developed my own very simple website with an mp3 player where I can showcase my music to those I send the link to. I have had 3 libraries go to listen to the music which has resulted in the placement of over 40 songs each in three separate libraries. I have just sold tracks in one of those after being with them a short time so it does in fact pay (as it costs very little for a hosting service) to put your music out there where people can go to hear it.
Sizzler

It wouldn't matter if you did agree with the above because, your path seems to be on TV/Film music placement rather than performance. It's apples and oranges. The performing songwriter and the writer who would rather be behind the scenes are two very different animals which require very different approaches. There is no one way, in fact the way anyone can tell you IS NOT the way which will work best for you. Your way must be unique unto yourself. Chase what you want, and it will run away from you. The trick here is to make them chase you!

Congrats on placing your music in some libraries. Has this netted placements in any production placements for your songs? This is the difference. You may place music everywhere but, is it being used? Be careful. In the publishing game nothing is more than having a lot of copywrites. What do you give up by placing your music in these libraries? What do you get in return? Are you prepared, set up as a business in case you do happen to sell something? Can a client write a check to your business? Do you have a business account? Good credit? How about an EIN number? All of these things matter. Are you a legal business? Consider these things. They say hindsight is 20/20 but, it is foresight which must be 20/20 if we are to succeed...Cover all of your bases before the first ball gets pitched.

A good place to begin is with a business plan. It's a daunting task, a HUGE undertaking, I know, I've written two plans in the last six months. In business, if you want to do things correctly, first, you write your business plan. It would be wise for you to begin your busines plan now. If you would like to be able to approach investors, labels, publisher's, established artists having a business plan makes the process so much easier. It legitimizes you. Why wait, do it before you'll need it so it doesn't slow you down when you do. You say you know nothing about writing a busines plan? Who knows your business better than you do? Who can articulate your vision better than you can? Start with a model plan which closely resembles what your own will be, and go over it sentence by sentence until the language perfectly conveys your vision. Get ready for lots of lost sleep. The plan should read as a well-written lyric does, it should read smoothly and seemlessly, without any rough spots. This is the one thing most talented people always overlook. Write your business plan.
"Digital? is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and chop it into bits?"
---Rupert Neve

ANGELz REIGN Productions

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users