Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Muse CD Project #1 - CD SALE! - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

Here's where those threads go that we really don't want to delete, but that need to be moved from their current location. Moderators, feel free to move important threads to this location if you no longer want to keep them in your own forum.
  • (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Muse CD Project #1 - CD SALE! Get your limited edition CD here . . .

#51 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 August 2009 - 02:25 PM

View PostNorthJersey2007, on Aug 29 2009, 02:12 PM, said:

3. What if one song catches fire and becomes a big hit down the road, do the people involved in the MusesMUSE Cd own the rights to that recording? (Not Likely, but theoretically possible)

Only way that's possible is if the person signs the rights away to be on the CD.

Like I've said before on this very matter, if the purpose is just to put a CD together and have fun with it, then it doesn't matter who's on it. But if the next CD is for the purpose of putting together a product to market this website in any matter or to raise funds for a cause, then there should be guidelines and judges.

As for who gets the money, anybody who put's money out of their own pocket into it gets reimbursed first (which I don't think even happened with this one). Then it's a matter of what purpose the CD is supposed to serve.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#52 User is offline   bubblingsoul Icon

• Bonifide Early Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Music (listening and writing), teaching, web design, bible studies, reading great literature . . . chocolate. Yeah. Chocolate.

Posted 30 August 2009 - 07:36 PM

View PostNorthJersey2007, on Aug 29 2009, 01:12 PM, said:

I think a forum CD is a great idea. I think most boards try it and the idea falls apart in due time cause there are alot of problems.

1. If you sell it, who gets the money? (Not that were talkin big bucks)

2. Picking songs based on what a few people on the board think is best is a disservice to everyone, including somebody buying a CD.

3. What if one song catches fire and becomes a big hit down the road, do the people involved in the MusesMUSE Cd own the rights to that recording? (Not Likely, but theoretically possible)

I believe that anybody who wants to be a forum CD should be allowed on. It's a Indie songwriter type of CD, people know what they are getting, some they might like, some they will think sucks. All I know is CD ideas start off great but lose momentum when people start stepping in and deciding who should be on it and who shouldnt.

Makes no difference to me if my song is in front of a great track and behind and aweful one, my track is still mine and thats a given.

NorthJersey,

A CD project happened here on Muse Muse. It was completed. If you'd like to hear the whole story of how it went down - you are more than welcome to see how this one developed in the various posts in this forum and in the Memorabilia Forum.

You are also more than welcome to purchase the CD on CD Baby or listen to the samples posted there.

We had a grand competition of sorts - with voters/critique-ers, but Jodi had the final say - because it is her site - and she didn't want crap going out with her site's name on it. Makes perfect sense to me.

As to the rest of the concerns . . . each participant still retained ownership/rights of their song. They were each responsible and signed a contract stating that they were, in fact, the copyright owner.

I had hoped to get another CD project up and running this summer - but I changed schools and had to do a lot of moving - so I just didn't have the time to devote to it.

Salley Gardens and I are both hoping to have something to offer here . . . but we're both pretty busy right now, so it will have to wait until we are a little free-er - or until someone else decides to pick up the torch.

Money-wise it was a wash. If any more CD's are sold - then all proceeds go to Jodi. Period.

The last one was largely a vanity project - but those involved in the actual leg work learned a whole lot in the process.

View PostFunkDaddy, on Aug 29 2009, 02:25 PM, said:

View PostNorthJersey2007, on Aug 29 2009, 02:12 PM, said:

Only way that's possible is if the person signs the rights away to be on the CD.

Like I've said before on this very matter, if the purpose is just to put a CD together and have fun with it, then it doesn't matter who's on it. But if the next CD is for the purpose of putting together a product to market this website in any matter or to raise funds for a cause, then there should be guidelines and judges.

As for who gets the money, anybody who put's money out of their own pocket into it gets reimbursed first (which I don't think even happened with this one). Then it's a matter of what purpose the CD is supposed to serve.

:) Good answer.

#53 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 31 August 2009 - 05:40 AM

I wasn't involved in this (it was before my time), but I would assume that the contract each participant signed granted either a mechanical license or a master use license to the CD creators, which would prevent this theoretical situation (I think).

I remember seeing The Sex Pistols on TV for the first time in the summer of 76 (they hadn't yet become famous). I thought they were pretty exciting. I liked some punk, and lived close to the Hope and Anchor in Islington. It was more my little sister's thing, though.

I have a copy of the Muse CD around here somewhere. I think that it's great that it not only got off the ground, but was completed (despite all the potential difficulties). A credit to all involved.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#54 User is offline   MysteryMike Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 03 September 2009 - 08:25 PM

I have someone that likes this CD so much, they are working on their second copy.... played it to death, and too many kids probably scratching it up....
Click Here If You Dare.....

Hello my friend, are you visible today?

• (2 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users