Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: The Musesmuse CD Project - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

Here's where those threads go that we really don't want to delete, but that need to be moved from their current location. Moderators, feel free to move important threads to this location if you no longer want to keep them in your own forum.
  • (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

The Musesmuse CD Project CD 2

#51 User is offline   Monktrump Icon

• Inspirationally Challenged Muse
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 December 2005 - 01:15 PM

I think Funky should pay her the cash...
I'm not sure why...I just do.. :o

:D

#52 Guest_landofsong_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 15 December 2005 - 05:09 PM

Thank you RLD, I'm very democratic when it comes to finance ;)
I hope what I said doesn't take away from the fact that I think it was brilliant that the project came off....I love having my Muse CD. It's something solid to hold onto from something (the muse community) that can seem a bit virtual and transient at times....

#53 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 16 December 2005 - 12:21 AM

Monktrump, on Dec 15 2005, 01:15 PM, said:

I think Funky should pay her the cash...
I'm not sure why...I just do..  :o

:D

Ohhh...she'd have to earn that money somehow :o :huh: ;)

J/k bubbs...

...or am I? :ph34r:
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#54 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:29 AM

Yea! We "officially" have a new CD project!

Bubbles announcement at the MMA preshow told us, that in the next couple of weeks we'll start the process of deciding what genre or theme the cd will be.

I'm thinking we also need to be deciding what the *purpose* of this CD will be also...

? mainly for Musers, as a bragging right and use in their portfolio

? for A&R/Publishing people to try to get any of the songs or artists signed

? for airplay and sent to radio and internet stations

? ????

The purpose will help define the design and what's to be written for the inserts.

If the purpose is anything other than giving the Musers something tangible, we should be developing a marketing plan early on, too.

What say you all?

#55 User is offline   Grizwald Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Politics, Poetry, Literature, TV, Movies.

Posted 18 December 2005 - 10:52 AM

i'm excited... especially b/c i now have the equipment to record a decent sounding song...

now, If i can just write a decent sounding song...
"i speak without reservation from what i know and who i am. i do so with the understanding that all people should have the right to offer their voice to the chorus whether the result is harmony or dissonance, the worldsong is a colorless dirge without the differences that distinguish us, and it is that difference which should be celebrated not condemned. should any part of my music offend you, please do not close your ears to it. just take what you can use and go on."
- ani difranco

Check out my music at:
http://www.chriscresswellmusic.com

#56 User is offline   gpeddino Icon

• Most misspelled username
  • PipPip

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:10 PM

We could improve the post-production marketing, even if it's only on the Internet and by other forums and sites. If we all help on doing it, maybe we can raise the selling of the first one as well.

I haven't bought the first one yet because my father won't allow me to purchase anything thru the net. So I'll need my own credit card to do so. :(

But I'll just make him let me send a song to the second CD. :rolleyes:

(*goes back to songwriting*) ;)

#57 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2005 - 08:53 PM

Salley
Before we all start posting is your post an official, from the CD Project Team request or is it just an open topic for discussion whose results will have no bearing what so ever on what the CD Project is about?
Ram

#58 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 18 December 2005 - 09:08 PM

Ramachandra, on Dec 18 2005, 06:53 PM, said:

Salley
Before we all start posting is your post an official, from the CD Project Team request or is it just an open topic for discussion whose results will have no bearing what so ever on what the CD Project is about?
Ram

There's nothing "official" about my post :) . I'm interested in what everyone thinks. I don't know if Jodi has any ideas or not. As to whether our ideas have a bearing or not, I haven't a clue!

I think any of the ideas I mentioned above would be worth it. The only thing I think would be a waste of time is thinking in terms of "for sale" only, and trying to turn a profit.

What would you like to see the purpose be, Ram?

#59 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• I started a joke
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 19 December 2005 - 11:18 AM

With regards to the shortfall.

There were 15 Musers represented on that CD plus 5 or 6 non-musers. If each represented Muser had bought 25 CDs we would have more or less broken even. However the average pre-order was 18 and I suspect some of the pre-orders from the artists were far lower than would have been expected. Maybe next time there should be a minimum order from each artist so this situation doesn?t arise.

I agree that Bubbles should not be out of pocket and we need to find a way of reimbursing her and soon. So an obvious thing for the artists to do now would be to make up the shortfall by at least buying up some of their own CDs. So for example if you bought less than 20 in the first place at least buy up to make it up to that total now.

Nige :)

#60 User is offline   MysteryMike Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 12:35 PM

NigeQ, on Dec 19 2005, 11:18 AM, said:

With regards to the shortfall.

There were 15 Musers represented on that CD plus 5 or 6 non-musers.  If each represented Muser had bought 25 CDs we would have more or less broken even.  However the average pre-order was 18 and I suspect some of the pre-orders from the artists were far lower than would have been expected.  Maybe next time there should be a minimum order from each artist so this situation doesn?t arise.

I agree that Bubbles should not be out of pocket and we need to find a way of reimbursing her and soon.  So an obvious thing for the artists to do now would be to make up the shortfall by at least buying up some of their own CDs.  So for example if you bought less than 20 in the first place at least buy up to make it up to that total now.

Nige :)

Actually I thought I was overbuying when I ordered 15... those were for giveaways to close relatives.... Others I have steered to the CDBaby site, which a few have purchased from...

I would gladly buy more.... Bubbsie, have your people contact my people...

Mike
Click Here If You Dare.....

Hello my friend, are you visible today?

#61 User is offline   justanopine Icon

• Avalanche
  • PipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 03:14 PM

cool_E, on Dec 13 2005, 05:26 AM, said:

Just imagine the RED ink if there were salaries to be paid!? :o

bubblingsoul, on Dec 11 2005, 05:51 PM, said:

Missing from Bubbles' pocketbook...............-$154.61

96 sitting in my living room

I know what some people will be getting for Christmas this year!

And not only salaries, but if it did turn a buck in the real world, there would be royalties also, cutting into the pie. But isn't it better to have it then not? Of course, after Bubbles is fairly paid back that is, Justanopine.
Quiet Old Bar
From the very beginning, to the very end, there is forever, which is now, just a thought.
Sometimes God seems nonexistent, can something seemingly nonexistent be only an illusion?

#62 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 07:19 PM

Salley
There's no point really yet until we know more about his statement by Bubbles from Oct 24 as follows:Quote....

I had the pleasure of chatting with Ms. Krangle on Thursday. She has some very definite thoughts on the next Muse CD......

I think it's important to know what those thoughts are.

I couldn't help but notice in Bubbsie's Timeline thingy that submissions are scheduled to start in January yet at this point in time we don't know if it's going to be a theme based CD or whatever the other choice was.

Pursuing this thread until we know what plans and ideas are already established
is just so much BS.

Salley, why not direct you're energy towards Bubbles in order to learn what's what.?
Ram

#63 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 08:39 PM

Ramachandra, on Dec 19 2005, 05:19 PM, said:

Salley
There's no point really yet until we know more about his statement by Bubbles from Oct 24 as follows:Quote....

I had the pleasure of chatting with Ms. Krangle on Thursday. She has some very definite thoughts on the next Muse CD......

I think it's important to know what those thoughts are.

I couldn't help but notice in Bubbsie's Timeline thingy that submissions are scheduled to start in January yet at this point in time we don't know if it's going to be a theme based CD or whatever the other choice was.

Pursuing this thread until we know what plans and ideas are already established
is just so much BS.

Salley, why not direct you're energy towards Bubbles in order to learn what's what.?
Ram

Ram,
I think Jodi's ideas were clearly stated by Bubbles in the announcement: Theme or Genre based
and that the process of deciding such will begin within the next few weeks.

Bubbles is welcome, as you and everyone else are, to post her thoughts here, too. And I don't consider anybody's ideas as BS...

#64 User is offline   MysteryMike Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 19 December 2005 - 10:42 PM

Ramachandra, on Dec 19 2005, 07:19 PM, said:

Ram, shhhhhh, keep it down, Bubbles might hear yah....

#65 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:06 AM

Salley
Sorry. Let me replace BS with " hot air ".
What I mean to ask is this.
Will the opinions expressed in this thread have any " official " bearing on what takes place?
You have answered : No.
Therefore what I am saying is that until the " meaningful " and " official "
method of opinion taking /decision making is launched postings within this thread will be meaningless BS errrrrrrr hot air so what's the point other than appeasing your curiosity?
So why not find out from Bubbles what percentage of the decision making will be based on popular opinion and on Management/Ownership opinion and how will those opinions be recorded/tallied and what indeed are the questions which need to be answered?
Ram

#66 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2005 - 06:41 AM

Ramachandra, on Dec 20 2005, 04:06 AM, said:

Salley
Sorry. Let me replace BS with " hot air ".
What I mean to ask is this.
Will the opinions expressed in this thread have any " official " bearing on what takes place?
You have answered : No.
Therefore what I am saying is that until the " meaningful " and " official "
method of opinion taking /decision making is launched postings within this thread will be meaningless BS errrrrrrr hot air so what's the point other than appeasing your curiosity?
Ram

I'm sure none of the ideas we shared previously weren't wasted, especially since it has been decided "officially" to use at least one of them. Since the purpose has yet to be decided and/or announced, perhaps our ideas may be useful there.

Also, many of us have thought of, or succeeded in creating their own CD. Thoughts about the purpose of the Muse CD, or any other CD have a value to me, and possibly others on this board, in considering the production of *any* CD. .

Ramachandra, on Dec 20 2005, 04:06 AM, said:

So why not find out from Bubbles what percentage of the decision making will be based on popular opinion and on Management/Ownership opinion and how will those opinions be recorded/tallied and what indeed are the questions which need to be answered?
Ram

I bet you are most welcome to do so!

#67 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2005 - 07:38 PM

If ownership and Management of the CD Project want membership input I imagine they will ask for it.
I'll wait.
If you hear anything let me know.
Ram

#68 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 20 December 2005 - 10:14 PM

justanopine, on Dec 19 2005, 03:14 PM, said:

And not only salaries, but if it did turn a buck in the real world, there would be royalties also, cutting into the pie. But isn't it better to have it then not? Of course, after Bubbles is fairly paid back that is, Justanopine.

I know you aren't being totally serious but I believe it was decided that Jodi would have control over how any profit was spent. I could be wrong.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#69 User is offline   justanopine Icon

• Avalanche
  • PipPip

Posted 21 December 2005 - 04:38 AM

Yea, I think you're right. I don't recall those details for sure though. But I thought it was possibly to go toward funding a second CD if a profit was turned.
Quiet Old Bar
From the very beginning, to the very end, there is forever, which is now, just a thought.
Sometimes God seems nonexistent, can something seemingly nonexistent be only an illusion?

#70 User is offline   Marty g Icon

• Love me? Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 21 December 2005 - 01:25 PM

Denise, give me to the new year, andI will take a box full off your hands, i will move them on over here in the UK. I didnt realise you were out of pocket and as a responsible person in this venture, i feel i ought to share the burden, its only fair. I will take a 3rd of those off you as promised, give me a couple weeks to organise a sale.

marty

#71 User is offline   bubblingsoul Icon

• Bonifide Early Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music (listening and writing), teaching, web design, bible studies, reading great literature . . . chocolate. Yeah. Chocolate.

Post icon  Posted 22 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

Thanks to all who have maintained interest in this project. :D

I got a couple of question from Ram via PM that I thought that I'd address here. Here is a portion of Ram's PM so you know what I'm talking about:

So when are you going to come out with the direction?
1.Re: Commercial attempt or Membership/Readership hobby CD
2.Re: Genre based/theme based.
Will they be autocratic decisions or member based?
If member based how will you get a consensus?
You've got January as the start up for submissions, it is a week away and we have no decisions yet on the above.
We've got basically 2 and a half months to compose/arrange/record a first class song. That's not really a lot of time so you dont have much time to get decisions made.
How many submissions can a member make. I believe last year it was just one right. You going to increase it this time around?

Geez we can't start on anything until we know about 1 & 2 above.

As I stated in my MMA Muse CD Project #2 post, over the next couple weeks. I thought that was pretty clear. We really don't need more than a week to find out which direction to take it. (And we still have 2 weeks, Ram - things aren't "open for business" til January 8th) I am within the time period I stated, Mr. Go to your room! :lol: )

This is an amateur project! While we are trying to handle things in a professional manner, we are still amateurs! And just for the record, professional manner does NOT equal democratic decisions on anything and everything that comes up. Would you run YOUR business that way? :blink: Some things have already been decided concerning the Rules and Submission Requirements. That was our prerogative - and we exercised it accordingly.

Jodi suggested we make it either theme based OR *one* genre (as I stated at the MMA awards thread on page 2). I will be soliciting thoughts from any members who are considering in participating on which direction we should go. Consider this your invitation to participate in the decision making process. Please send me a PM with your submission intentions for this project and also whether you'd prefer this to be theme based or *one* genre.

Now I am going to post Jodi's thoughts on the matter - she was REALLY keen on doing a *one* genre CD. She thinks it will have better viability and be much more marketable. I mentioned the fact that I thought there are some folks on the board who wouldn't "like" this very much - but she said we are songwriters, for goodness sake, and should be able to step out of our very comfortable niche and write in any genre required of us. I tend to agree with her on this point. This is a stretching opportunity for us all as songwriters! Not a bad thing at all.

But I also thought that a theme based CD might be appealing as well. Rather than for a "cause" however, since we are such an international group of folks - why not have it be a "Faces and Places" sort of theme - anything having to do with a place or people. (Vague enough to satisfy but specific enough to remain cohesive.)

Seems silly and pointless to put up a poll regarding this. So please, no messy public "discussion" is desired really - just private PM's so we get an accurate count of who is for what. That doesn't mean you can't discuss it amongst yourselves, just don't want everything all jumbled together in a "one size fits all" type thread! ;) :lol:

At this point, we are still in the learning stage, we are still dealing with amateur songwriters (of which, I am one), and the last CD project isn't "finished" - since the product hasn't really moved. That is okay! I think we are wise to take it slow, and have this project be self-supporting. This may be a little on the cautious side, but when we are dealing with a volunteer staff, no current budget and international variables - we are correct to do it this way for the time being.

One element that really hasn't been discussed at large is the change in judging to industry pros rather than selected/volunteer Muse membership. THIS in itself will give our members more visibility and voice. I am encouraged by what I believe this can do for the Muse and it's members . . . and I think future projects will be even more successful as we gain a reputation and clout for being a class act, top-notch, bunch of Musers! The judges will remain annonymous because both Jodi and I believe it is critical AND prudent to prevent gherming and ensure a fair race.

I've run out of time at the moment - but will be posting the revised and improved "Rules and Submission Requirements" later today early tomorrow! ;)

Hope this helps ease your minds a bit. I'm clearing out my PM box to make room for all the responses I'm sure to get. ;) Send your thoughts via PM to me - I will send you a confirmation that it has been received and recorded. :)

Thanks in advance!
~Bubbles :D

PS And Ram - re: "We've got basically 2 and a half months to compose/arrange/record a first class song" . . . I beg to differ. You've had much longer than that! Did you stop writing after you submitted your song on the last project? No need to come up with something entirely new just for this project, if you've been writing all along anyway, right?

#72 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:17 PM

Well Dag Nabbit Bubbles I send you a PM and you go and post it on the board and then blast me in front of everybody! What's with that!
Why the heck do you think I sent a PM in the first place? DAH.
Re song writing well when I learn what theme and/or what genre the CD is going to be maybe I do have one already written however as I am thinking productiion standards will have to a bit better than the last effort, all efforts towards instrumentation,sound/tone,arrangement,playing,recording/engineering must be turned up a couple of notches so that we can atleast, when done, be in the big league ballpark, even if it is in the bleachers.

Amateur my ass. Dress like a soldier, feel like a soldier. If we think like amateurs were gonna perform like amateurs.
Together we're all fkg good lyricists and composers and musicians.And we're gonna put together a fkg good CD. AND we're gonna turn some heads, get some recognition and sell more CD's than we print on the first run.
So everybody lets kick start this sucker and get her out on the road.

Power to the people,... join me here Funk Daddy.... Power to the people RIGHT ON.!!!
Ram

#73 User is offline   bubblingsoul Icon

• Bonifide Early Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music (listening and writing), teaching, web design, bible studies, reading great literature . . . chocolate. Yeah. Chocolate.

Posted 22 December 2005 - 07:37 PM

Ram,

I believe everything (almost everything) you mentioned in your PM to me HAS been posted by yourself before somewhere in this thread/forum.

I'm sorry if I stepped on yer toes, cowboy.

I don't believe you've sent me your opinion yet, Ram. Stand and be counted.

Dagnabbit! :P

And if my post was a "blast" aimed at you - think again, partner! :lol:

~Bubbles ;)

#74 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:41 PM

My opinion is in your mailbox now sweetheart. Start counting. :rolleyes:
Ram

#75 User is offline   nsmar4211 Icon

• .....(your ad here for a small fee).......
  • Pip

Posted 22 December 2005 - 08:56 PM

"If musers are the market then you'd have been more successful selling into that market by producing an MP3 DVD which included several hundred songs."

This neglects to consider that many of us dont *have* that technology available to play............... however, CD players are pretty much everywhere :)

Or do both.........but then again, perhaps the cost to produce is toooo high.

What was the entry fee anyway?

And a plug for work.....you should go to Staples for supplies, we're cheaper than Office Depot :ph34r: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, as long as the costs are kept as low as possible, just need to drum up a little more interest. Perhaps a posting in the newbies section letting them know it's got something for everyone, even if they haven't been here a long time.......yes I know everyone hates cross posting but realistically, some people don't go to all the boards (espically if they think the topic wouldn't concern them)... :)
"You can't start a fire sitting around crying with a broken heart" -Bruce Springsteen

www.susanszoocrew.com

#76 User is offline   MysteryMike Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:15 AM

Well, I would suggest we let the "industry pros" set the criteria, since they will be doing the judging... It would also be more challenging IMO for both submitters and those running the project... I highly doubt we will come up with a consensus where everyone will be happy anyway... I believe this would be truer to how one would have to work to submit to TAXI or the like (RLD?)

The first CD I would describe as Adult Contemporary as a whole... not really a definite genre, but I did feel the songs played well together...

Mike

#77 Guest_landofsong_*

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:30 AM

Adult Contemporary
:blink:

....sounds like it's full of dodgy sex songs

#78 User is offline   RLD Icon

• Recording Tips Moderator & all around Groovy Dude
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:36 AM

I believe this would be truer to how one would have to work to submit to TAXI or the like (RLD?)

Well, its one way to submit.
Obviously if you can only write in one genre/style, opportunities can be pretty limited, so stretching your comfort zone is something I work on.
With my last song ...LEARNED MY LESSON,
I even tried to be a step ahead and anticipate getting calls for songs similar to the new John Mayer Trio CD...
so sure, the more versatile you are the more you increase your chances of signing or getting a placement...
And the only way to do that is to practice being versatile.

RLD
Recipient of Coveted Muse's Muse Awards
Lyrics & Music Writer of the Year 2004/2005
Most Likely To Succeed 2005/2007
Song of the Year 2005/2008/2009

Grissom: "Pupa, stage three." Crime Scene Montage 2
Pop/Rock Tunes
Surf Music
Crystal's Story

#79 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:38 PM

Re:

would suggest we let the "industry pros" set the criteria,

Not sure to what criteria you are referring however I don't see the necessity of relinquishing what choices we do have to unrelated persons. Why?

Re:
the more versatile you are the more you increase your chances of signing or getting a placement...

You are speaking from the experience of a solo writer trying to get something/anything signed. Then versatility is key.
I don't think we should approach this CD as a group of web based artists with the above mentality.
I feel "Project 2" should be genre based and that we, the lyricists, composers, performers should come together as a group and form a single minded focused idea about the style,sound and content of the CD.It has to be cohesive.
Ultimately we should have a producer.
Anyway below is an excerpt of a PM I sent to Bubbles yesterday which I hope you all comment on:

Now what about the identity........you simply CANNOT go out there with...." we're a song writing website and here's what our membership has created".....
NOooooooo you need an identity, you need to get branded.You need to be a group as one. It doesn't matter if you're all named The Kranglers ( I like that ) or The Bubbles (cute, with potential). It has be catchy,marketable,brandable, easy to remember, fun to say,
one group, one voice,one direction. No matter who gets selected those individuals have to come out as a BAND.When or if someone's tune gets picked up after market, no problem, they move on to their individual success or failure as the case may be but first of all come out as A BAND.

Ram

#80 User is offline   Brina Icon

• General Board Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Music oh and did I say Music?? Any faucet or spectrum from composing to lyric content to recording. It keeps me sane!!!

Posted 23 December 2005 - 03:59 PM

Honestly,

Until it decided how the cd would be pushed, these kinda things are moot.

If you don't have a clear cut "agenda" as to what the purpose will be how can you define the project?

Do you just want to have the cd for Muse members to flaunt and say "hey look what I did". Or is this going to be something will be fronted, pushed, pitched, promoted?...These are questions that are JUST as important as what's going to be on it. Is the focus to get airplay, large or small? Notoriety? Recognition? Placement in the commercial realm? If so what is the targeted listener?? Amateurs or not...with a project as vast as this, there has to be some business considerations. And with the lessoned learned from the past cd. It is definately something to consider.

The band idea is not necessarily a bad one. But its not necessarily a good one either. It leaves the door for future projects very narrow.
When one door closes another one opens, but we often look so long and so regretfully at the closed door, the we don't see the one which is open before us.

My Personal Soundclick

#81 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:17 PM

Well then Brina below is another excerpt from my PM to Bubbles.
Nothing is moot at this juncture. Bubbles asked for PM's of your opinions.
Did you send?

Concerning your [QUOTE]The band idea is not necessarily a bad one. But its not necessarily a good one either. It leaves the door for future projects very narrow.

That's brilliant Brina. Thanks for nothing
Frig the future projects, here and now Brina. The Project 3 can be whatever we want it to be.

Excerpt:
2. Commercial or Hobbyist?
DEFINITELY COMMERCIAL.
Look this membership may call themselves amateurs or hobbyists but you can't tell me that they don't have a PASSION!
Every artist wants to be recognized for their work.Some may say... "oh accolades from my peers is enough for me...." oh yeah, well how do you feel about accolades from industry society far above your peer group. Don't tell me that doesn't light your rocket.!

Some may say....." I don't want commercial success as I am an artist and I write and play for the love of my art".....
Aw C'mon so your tune gets nominated to be the theme song for a new tv series so give the proceeds from that to a charity of which you are fond.

Commercial - when successful, means people like what you've done so much that they are willing to spend some of their hard earned money to enjoy what you have created.That's what art is for.... enjoyment by people. Money is a by product. Take it or leave it.
COMMERCIAL is the way to go. Now I'm not talking about " selling out".
You can still write with integrity, honesty, simplicity. I mean getting out there and doing battle in the market place. Throwing you're hat into the ring, for better or for worse.
And what about failure? Those with the passion are made stronger, made better and live and breathe with more resolve to improve, to strive again for that passionate end.
Forget the hobbyist's lame excuse. It's just that, an excuse.

Ram

#82 User is offline   Brina Icon

• General Board Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, Music oh and did I say Music?? Any faucet or spectrum from composing to lyric content to recording. It keeps me sane!!!

Posted 23 December 2005 - 04:29 PM

Actually Ram, I did send my opinions. Thank you very much!

You can take my comment as you will, I frankly don't give a dayam how you view them. :)

If commercial appeal is relative then absolutely you have to consider future projects. Reputation does play a role...call me a crack or insult my intelligence all you want. Its fact. 8 out of 10 new business fail within their first 5 years because they don't have a good business plan. This has to be looked at in the same ulitimately, the time line is minute compared to the 5 years I just stated. So it has to be THAT much more defined.
When one door closes another one opens, but we often look so long and so regretfully at the closed door, the we don't see the one which is open before us.

My Personal Soundclick

#83 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 05:08 PM

Brina will you stop over re acting and being antagonistic!
What's with you?
Look this year the Muse members may create a blues album, next year country who the hell knows. Your reputation is built on the quality of your product.

Re: [QUOTE]Its fact. 8 out of 10 new business fail within their first 5 years because they don't have a good business plan.

That's BS.Chances are if they didn't have a good business plan they would not have recvd the bank loan to start the biz in the first place.

However we are in the process of defining Project 2 so lets do that positively and harmoniously.
Ram

#84 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 07:09 PM

Ramachandra, on Dec 23 2005, 02:17 PM, said:

2. Commercial or Hobbyist?
DEFINITELY COMMERCIAL.

What outlets would the CDs be sold through? What kind of mark-up? How many CD's should be produced? How many would have to be sold to turn a profit and how long would that take? What kind of marketing strategy would you use?

Note: I am asking out of curiosity, as I haven't talked to anyone "official"... While I don't think this is our decision to make, I *do* think discussion is important, and well thought out plans could be influential.

#85 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:00 PM

This might be a dumb idea. It just popped into my head so I'm just going to type it out before I have time to think about it too much.

How about a CD of kid's songs?

It's an area none of us (as far as I know) are specialists in it, plus we'd all be starting from scratch, so it would kinda level the playing field a little.

There is a ready market for kid's songs out there - particularly if they're focussed on a particular theme. Maybe they could even be lightly educational?

It'd be fun to do. :)

Kid's songs don't have to equal "simple" or dumbed down! In fact "good" kids songs are can be very clever indeed.

Anyway.. like i said, it was just an idea that popped into my head. :)

#86 User is offline   MysteryMike Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 09:12 PM

Simple Simon, on Dec 23 2005, 09:00 PM, said:

This might be a dumb idea. It just popped into my head so I'm just going to type it out before I have time to think about it too much.

It's an area none of us (as far as I know) are specialists in it, plus we'd all be starting from scratch, so it would kinda level the playing field a little.

There is a ready market for kid's songs out there - particularly if they're focussed on a particular theme. Maybe they could even be lightly educational?

Kid's songs don't have to equal "simple" or dumbed down! In fact "good" kids songs are can be very clever indeed.

Actually I love that idea... Not sure if it will fly for this project, but let's see what other's think...

Mike

#87 User is offline   Merlin Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:20 PM

Kid songs is a great idea. Lots of variations in styles and a whole world of ideas. I was leaning toward blues or reggae, but this is better.

Rick
My music is an acquired taste like cod liver oil. If you block your ears it goes down better.

#88 User is offline   fabkebab Icon

• Ahh a newbie no longer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Fatherhood, Songwriting/performing, the mystery of "on stage charisma", The wide world, Gardening, People, Sports, trying to "get" America

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:25 PM

I would buy a CD of muses muse kids songs!
Whether I made it onto the CD or not -

Perhaps it just reflects my own time in life :)

On the downside, it means that everyone would be writing a song specifically for the CD, rather than choosing thier best song - which might point to an overall lower quality set of songs (although this will be the case regardless, if a "theme" is chosen for the music
One man band (pop-folk-rock):
http://www.soundclic...dmanscorner.htm

Full 5 person band: (trad folk):
http://www.soundclic...oversreturn.htm

Actual amateurish home made website with tons of wondrous content
http://www.fabkebab.com

#89 User is offline   Monktrump Icon

• Inspirationally Challenged Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 10:45 PM

Yeah..umm..
Can we say FU(K in kid songs?
What about SH!T? DamN?, HELL?
I don't like it, not one bit....i'm so narrow-minded, I couldn't possibly in a thousand years even have a chance at submitting something for it..
I think the whole cd needs to be scrubbed if a "Profit" is even being considered..
C'mon..who are we fooling? three quarters of the country won't even buy cd's from the artists they love...they just download 'em from Kazaa.
Who will buy ours?--us? or will Bubbs be sittin on a pile of em?

#90 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:06 PM

Monktrump, on Dec 24 2005, 04:45 PM, said:

C'mon..who are we fooling? three quarters of the country won't even buy cd's from the artists they love...they just download 'em from Kazaa.
Who will buy ours?--us? or will Bubbs be sittin on a pile of em?

I know what you're getting at, and I'm not about to push my little idea hard, because it was, after all, just a whimsical idea. But I would suggest that one kind of music people might be more likely to buy could be kids music. I mean, I find it easier to imagine a parent giving their kids a CD they actually bought for them, that they could hold and play, rather than just downloading a whole pile of kids songs from Kazaa. If it was any good, well themed, and attractive to kids and parents (and even perhaps educators) alike, it might do quite well if released a little while prior to Christmas. ;)

But I do understand that many here see themselves as "serious" songwriters, and that in itself is why this is probably an idea that won't float. :)

#91 User is offline   MysteryMike Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:38 PM

KIDZ BOP sold 5 million CDs in the past 4 years

Granted they are bad covers done by kids to today's hits... but it is a market that as Simon mentioned, a parent (such as myself) would buy for...

Now, I like the idea of making kids music that parents don't mind listening to... (Because if I hear another KIDZ BOP song while driving, I may run into a tree)...

Mike

#92 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 12:49 AM

The idea of a kids CD is very attractive. It fits "theme", and possibly even "genre", and has a limited commercial appeal.

#93 User is offline   justanopine Icon

• Avalanche
  • PipPip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:15 AM

I think the idea of a kids CD is great. But I think that this CD should be pop-rock or pop-country. If it's planned that there are to be follow-up CD's then I think there should be two CD's on the burner at all times. One on the front burner and one on the back. In this case I would think a pop-rock or pop-country CD on the front burner, with a childrens CD on the back burner. Again though, I think the childrens CD is a great idea and greatly adds colorful flavor to the mix. Justanopine.
Quiet Old Bar

#94 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 09:51 AM

Salley- All relevant questions however at this point in the discussion I am more referring to the "aim". Aside from the "genre" question I was under the impression that the "aim" question were the first two question to be answered.

Salley - I thought you'd been made official with a Bubblism?

Gotta run- more later.
Ram

#95 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:23 AM

Ramachandra, on Dec 24 2005, 07:51 AM, said:

Salley- All relevant questions however at this point in the discussion I am more referring to the "aim". Aside from the "genre" question I was under the impression that the "aim" question were the first two question to be answered.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking here. As for the general discussion in this thread, that's all we're doing right now, except for Bubbles "official" post where she asked us to PM her.

If you're referring to my questions to you regarding a commercial aim, I usually try to think in the "big picture" when deciding an aim. And my questions were part of the general discussion.

Ramachandra, on Dec 24 2005, 07:51 AM, said:

Salley - I thought you'd been made official with a Bubblism?

Gotta run- more later.
Ram

Again, I'm not sure what your question is here, either. Yes, I have been appointed as an official member of the Muse CD Project# 2 team. As I wait for instructions from Command Central, I'm happily participating in the general discussion. I'll be PM Bubbles with my thoughts, just like everyone else has been asked to do. The general discussion helps me define what my thoughts are.

I hope I answered your questions.

Have a Merry Christmas!

#96 User is offline   thomasitty Icon

• The i-Man
  • PipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:27 AM

Simple Simon, on Dec 23 2005, 09:00 PM, said:

I think that's a great idea. And probably a lot easier to sell than anything else.

T

#97 User is offline   SatanInventedBras Icon

• Call me Cordelia
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 11:36 AM

I, too, like the idea of a Children's CD. While I may (or may not) collab with someone for this project, it would definitely be something I'd buy, since I know a TON of kids :) (ah, the joys of teaching :P )

My 2 cents... keep the change ;)
more of my writing
my soundclick
poetry and art online

i am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
thank you. we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
i need a lover that won't drive me crazy.
i brought my pencil . . . gimme something to write on!

if you love someone, let him fly. or break his wings so he can't leave.
on a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
the boob has been deboobed.
if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
kill one man, you're a murderer. kill a million, a king. kill them all, a god.

#98 Guest_landofsong_*

Posted 24 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

I'm not keen on the kids songs cd idea. You need real imaginative flair to write for children and the lyrically challenged may feel excluded... :)

I would like the theme to be climate change...the subject can be interpreted broadly (ie Bushnicks 'what climate change?' :lol: )and cross any genre. There is also an established niche market outlet. That niche outlet means real sales and opportunities to post/advertise it on environmental issue sites...social concern sites. (not just music fellow songwriter sites....

I think most people have something to say on this subject...and even if they don't, imagine climate change as music....

Salley, I'm not sure what you mean by official. There are no officials involved with the project, are there.? :blink:

#99 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 02:01 PM

landofsong, on Dec 24 2005, 11:27 AM, said:

Salley, I'm not sure what you mean by official. There are no officials involved with the project, are there.? :blink:

I'm not sure what all that means, yet, either! But I am "officially" listed as one of the moderators of the CD Project Forum.

#100 User is offline   Ramachandra Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 December 2005 - 06:31 PM

Yeah Yeah childrens songs. Count me in.
And consider pet songs also. With the advent of pet spa's and pet hotels etc., etc., I anticipate a boom in music for pets.
I've got a Bernese Mountain Dog and I've written a song called Big Boy which could fit nicely on the CD.
Ram

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users