Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Think again.... it might not be just a good de-esser - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

What This Forum Is About:

This forum is specifically for discussions about recording & technical questions related to music making - both home and studio - including how to make your recording the best it can be, what equipment you can use to do that with and what studios you've particularly enjoyed working in. Also, website concerns as they pertain to your own or your band's musical web presence. Do you have any tips for those going into a recording studio for the first time? Web design tips for the musician/songwriter website? Do you have questions about these things? Feel free to ask them here!
Page 1 of 1

Think again.... it might not be just a good de-esser

#1 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 10 April 2012 - 05:34 PM

When one tries different plugins, one gets put on companies email lists.
Sometimes I unsubscribe and sometimes it's worth reading these emails.
Now I don't have any Sonnox plugins, but I can easily achieve the same results with my de-esser VST.

This one, from Sonnox sounded interesting enough to post here.

Sonnox Quick Tips #15 - Sitting a bass in a mix
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#2 User is offline   Lzi Icon

• Angelz Reign Productions
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Wow...Everything lol...Music of course :)...I love my family. We love to travel.

"From one thing know Ten-Thousand things">----------Miyamoto Musashi

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

De-essers, plugs and hardware have never been something I like to rely upon. I know, I know, everyone is into fast workflow but, doesn't that at times negate some of the advantages of recording at home? In short, I hate rushing vocals, I don't like to rush anything. I'm not advocating slow workflow for the sake of being slow. It's not about being slow, it is about taking the time to find the right way for each individul song. All of this being said, if there is a drastic sibilance issue, it is one thing however, if you have the patience to work with the vocalist on mic technique it will always sound better than using a de-esser. Rehearsal over quick fixes everytime, the results will speak for themselves.

The very best de-esser I have ever used was a hardware box by Empirical Labs called The 'Lil Freq...BAR NONE. It sure does cost quite a bit. The eq is just OK, for a hardware Eq box that is well over a grand you would expect the eq to sound outstanding but...I guess opinion is subjective. You can keep the eq, it is the de-ess function on the 'Lil Freq that makes it a great box.

Like I said though, Rehearsal over quick fixes if it really matters. Can't rehearse away the sibilance then, you reach for a synthetic solution. My absolute favorite de-esser is a yellow highlighter pen, a lyric sheet, and practice, practice, practice. I am not advocating using recording time for rehearsal, you should be well rehearsed BEFORE you try to record so, this is an issue best dealt with at practice. Practice doesn't mean playing through a set list either, it means correcting what is incorrect because, if you practice mistakes or bad technique, you will perform the same way live and in the studio. Know a piece backwards then, record. Perfect practice makes perfect...Ditto on the pick noise problem...Maybe use another pick. The less processing you use, the better...Really :) Maybe what we all really could use is a plug that catches all of out tracking inadequecies and inconsistancies for us before we mix! HAHA! :)
"Digital? is that the thing where they take a good old sine wave and chop it into bits?"
---Rupert Neve

ANGELz REIGN Productions

Page 1 of 1

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users