Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Using an old radio broadcast in a song... - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Using an old radio broadcast in a song...

#1 User is offline   holidayradio Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Playing/Writing songs.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 05:55 AM

It's been years since I've been here, but I thought this might be a good place to pose this question.

I have a new song I've recorded that uses about 25 seconds of the famous "War of the Worlds" radio broadcast from the 30s that incited panic in the streets. Do I need to contact the people who hold the rights to it and pay them or am I safe if it's only a short clip? I'm not expecting to sell very many copies of the song since I'm an unknown. Advice?

Thank you!
- Nate
Sweet Diss and the Comebacks - Power-Pop
Facebook - Like us!
iTunes - Buy us!

#2 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• Grandaddy Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 07 December 2011 - 09:42 AM

I have no way of knowing for sure, but my gut tells me someone owns the rights to that broadcast, and yes you would need to secure their permission's first, and then work out the details for using it, they may just say no, period.

I don't think I'd use something as iconic and well known as that broadcast, especially if you're thinking of selling some copies, whether it's 3 or 300, I'm sure you'd be in violation of copyright infringement.

Just a thought, why not come up with your own '30s styled radio broadcast, for inciting panic on the public, that could be fun to do.

"We now interrupt this broadcast, and go to our reporter Elaine Lander at the White House for an emergency announcement from the President......" Posted Image
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#3 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 07 December 2011 - 12:39 PM

Brucey is correct...

http://answers.googl.../id/269225.html

If you sell ANY copies of the song without clearing the rights you are in the wrong. It's not a matter of small scale or large scale sales.

And yeah, why not make it easier and just record your own panicked radio broadcast?
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#4 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 09 December 2011 - 04:25 PM

War of the worlds was written in 1898. Pretty cool! The written text itself is in the public domain here in the US, however in the UK and EU it is under copyright until 2016 according to Librivox(a free audio book project for items in the public domain). That means you might be able to simulate it on your own here in the US and not come into any trouble. As for the original radio broadcast I'm betting someone owns that. In fact I found mention on another website that it is owned by Paramount.

#5 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• Grandaddy Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 10 December 2011 - 02:03 AM

You know this has just kind of dawned on me at this moment, and I don't even know when it stopped. Outside of one, maybe two radio stations here in town, no other radio stations broadcast the news anymore.

Growing up I can remember all the stations would broadcast at least 5 or 6 minuets of news, weather, and sports at the top of the hour, now you rarely even hear a weather forecast on the radio.

Yeah back then, radio stations were the CNN of news broadcasting. Could you imagine if CNN today were to broadcast an alien invasion play, with Wolf Blitzer and Anderson Cooper chiming in every few minutes with updated reports.
I think everyone would be freaking. Posted Image
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#6 User is offline   Scotto Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 12 December 2011 - 03:43 PM

They're all tucked away on the AM dial somewhere between overly opinionated talk shows...

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users