Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Border Town - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Border Town

#1 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:30 AM

Here's an instrumental done for fun (no client request). High Sierra, tumblin' tumbleweeds, last chance gas, etc.

For any guitar freaks in the house: Stratocaster-Barber Tone Press compressor-Egnater Rebel 20-Mojotone open back cab with an Eminence Red Fang inside-SM57 + KSM 32-Lexicon MPX1.

#2 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:48 PM

Hi Jim,
Not a guitar freak but a B3 one. :rolleyes:
I don't suppose you have one of those in your studio, do you? <_< :P

All it needs is a video. ;) and maybe a touch more reverb
just on that lead guitar to make it sound a bit more mysterious, tumbliní out there in those tumbleweeds.
A nice relaxing tune.
Thanks for posting. :)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#3 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 20 February 2012 - 03:56 PM

I wish I had a B3! Although a real Leslie can be hard to mic, they are a as to play. I have some awesome emulations, though.

#4 User is offline   Desertrose Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:The intriguingly beautifully strange.
    Photography,videography,writing, creating things, anything...camping,being out in nature,people watching,sitting under the full moon and pondering all of life's questions and then asking more.

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:50 PM

Awesome playing and sound and very nicely put together Jim.
Enjoyed the listen.

#5 User is offline   Greg Ball Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:43 PM

Hmmm, this is one of those times I wish I had something to mark on. Very cool sound, permission to challenge you to try a couple of things? I'd be interested to see what it might sound like if you modulated at least once to a different key - actually what I was thinking was, I've heard a simple country song of all things, that modulated through a couple of keys, moving by fifths I think until it returned to the original key: Something like C - G - E - C.

I also heard something recently where the bass alone firmly outlined a chord progression underneath the guitar that changed - so the guitar stayed the same as you do in the first two parts, but the harmonic framework morphed some underneath. Either technique might emphasis the idea of moving and arriving some place different. Or of being blown in one direction only to return. The shape of the song at the moment feels a little to me as if that tumbleweed got stuck against the side of a building. Just another angle, keep or sweep. I liked what you are doing very much.

#6 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 21 February 2012 - 09:05 AM

Danny, if I ever remix this, I'll probably use more 'verb. It sounded like a ton on my old Yamaha 02R console, but since I installed the Tascam DM3200 everything is so much cleaner and detailed in the midrange that I'm finding a lot of small errors like that.

Desertrose, I like your work, so your comments are always appreciated.

Greg, I'm not sure what you're driving at. I think that the third chorus could use a slight lift, but I didn't want to make the guitar part busier and wreck the feel... maybe a high string part or something. But this piece is just capturing a mood; I'm not trying to tell a story about movement or resolution. Also, I tend to avoid modulations unless I've got a real good reason to do it. BTW, that chord progression isn't the "circle of fifths." The circle of fifths, in C, goes C-G-D-A-E-etc.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to listen...

#7 User is offline   Greg Ball Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:13 PM

View PostGravity Jim, on 21 February 2012 - 08:05 AM, said:

Danny, if I ever remix this, I'll probably use more 'verb. It sounded like a ton on my old Yamaha 02R console, but since I installed the Tascam DM3200 everything is so much cleaner and detailed in the midrange that I'm finding a lot of small errors like that.

Desertrose, I like your work, so your comments are always appreciated.

Greg, I'm not sure what you're driving at. I think that the third chorus could use a slight lift, but I didn't want to make the guitar part busier and wreck the feel... maybe a high string part or something. But this piece is just capturing a mood; I'm not trying to tell a story about movement or resolution. Also, I tend to avoid modulations unless I've got a real good reason to do it. BTW, that chord progression isn't the "circle of fifths." The circle of fifths, in C, goes C-G-D-A-E-etc.

Thanks to you all for taking the time to listen...

Sorry, my fault for making a bad post. I wasn't talking about the circle of fifths. I mean to describe modulating from the "5" chord of the key. Mr. Dylan (whom I was thinking of) has this chorus that ends with a standard cadence, going from the 5 chord back to the root. So if he were playing in the key of C, he's playing G at the end of the chorus and then goes back to C just before he starts the next verse.

Except... at the end of one chorus he shifts from the key of C to the key of A. He does it from the G7, so its only a single step which some people say is a rule when you're going to do something dissonant or different, as its a safe interval for the singer to find. The way he does it in this one case is to slide DOWN rather than shift up abruptly. From the G he goes down to E. At that point your brain might think he's gonna play that root chord since E would be the middle note, but he adds the A/sharps the C and suddenly you realize you're not quite in kansas anymore. (Giving the C-G-E-A note progression I mentioned, sorry for being really unclear.) Here's some notation of it, with the chords in "" and the notes standing by themselves:

X:1
T: Modulation Fragment
M:4/4
L:1/4
K:C
"C" C4 |"G" G3 E | "A" ^C2 |

Whether you like that idea or not, I do agree with you about not making it any busier or changing the feel. That's why I though of modulation - as you'd be playing the same thing but by changing the key you get that lift you mentioned, keep it fresh and interesting. It was just something I thought about trying. I was thinking the same thing with the bass part as another option. Again, not changing the guitar part but changing the context within which the guitar is playing. I've tended to treat the bass as something boring (sorry, I know its a character flaw) but I've heard some people recently make some interesting shifts with just the bass.

Just another angle, experiment or ignore. Regards,
Greg

#8 User is offline   Ian Ferrin Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 21 February 2012 - 06:54 PM

Awesome guitar playing. I think you've captured a mood really well. Can't find anything to critique. The mix could go different ways, but this is pretty nice. Thanks for sharing.

Peace,

Ian
Ian's Soundclick Page

"Hammers don't build houses. People build houses.

A hammer is just a tool. But it's a powerful tool" - me

#9 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 22 February 2012 - 04:49 PM

No, thank you, Ian, for taking the time to listen. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

#10 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 23 February 2012 - 08:46 PM

If I could play guitar like this, I wouldn't leave the house.

Try as I may, I couldn't quite get a Border Town feel. It had me sitting at a bar in the Keys under a thatched cabana. Oh well. I really enjoyed the listen in any event.
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2008 & 2009
1 + 1 Song of the Year 2009 Ain't That True

My Soundclick Page
My lyrics and songs hosted by Lyricadia

#11 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Jonie, I barely do leave this house! Indirectly, I guess it was the guitar playing... it sort of led to the working at home thing. Thanks for the kind words... the listener is always the true interpreter, anyway. And Key West is as "border town" as it gets.

BTW, I've been reading yor lyrics, and I like them: craftsmanlike and with a unique point of view. Do you write music?

#12 User is offline   ScenesFromPalacio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Living in my mythic song dreamworld as much as possible..

Posted 29 February 2012 - 07:22 PM

Really nice Jim..Great playing and some really cool chords..Sweet late night listening -Enjoyed it..

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users