Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: What organisations do I need to join ? - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What organisations do I need to join ?

#1 User is offline   pkellyca Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 26 April 2012 - 03:49 PM

Hello to all;

I am quite new to the business but have recently had a song recorded by a Montreal artist. My question is what organisations do I need to join to ensure any royalties are distributed properly. I have looked at the SOCAN and SODRAC sites but it still seems a bit confusing. Things such as transfer of Copyrights and other issues.
Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank;
Peter

#2 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 09:26 AM

Q: How do I qualify for SOCAN membership if I am a music creator?
A: You must establish that you meet one of the following criteria:
• Your music is published by a music publisher owned by someone other than yourself
• Your music has been recorded and is available for sale
• Your music has been performed on radio
• Your music has been performed on TV or in a film
• Your music has been performed live

Transfer of copyright would be between you and whoever the artist is published with, not SOCAN. Why you would be doing that for an artist recording your song would be my question as it's unnecessary unless they are paying you for the song.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#3 User is offline   pkellyca Icon

• Muse In Training
  • Pip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 03:08 PM

View PostFunkDaddy, on 27 April 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

• Your music is published by a music publisher owned by someone other than yourself

Transfer of copyright would be between you and whoever the artist is published with, not SOCAN. Why you would be doing that for an artist recording your song would be my question as it's unnecessary unless they are paying you for the song.

Thanks for the reply Mark. I qualify by this

My song The Nu Dream is posted and crtiqued on this site.
The artist has it for sale on broadjam and I am now waiting for documents from Socan that I can sign and return. I have been basically doing nothing for a few days but trying to understand what a publisher does and how copyright works etc. etc. etc. As I said I am a real newbie and trying to learn so that I do things properly. The artist and myself have not signed a publishing deal yet so I guess we are self publishing for now. I just want to try to understand what the PRO groups are, the differences, and which I need to join. Still doing research .....

#4 User is offline   Roger Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 27 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

View Postpkellyca, on 27 April 2012 - 02:08 PM, said:

View PostFunkDaddy, on 27 April 2012 - 09:26 AM, said:

The artist has it for sale on broadjam and I am now waiting for documents from Socan that I can sign and return. I have been basically doing nothing for a few days but trying to understand what a publisher does and how copyright works etc. etc. etc. As I said I am a real newbie and trying to learn so that I do things properly. The artist and myself have not signed a publishing deal yet so I guess we are self publishing for now. I just want to try to understand what the PRO groups are, the differences, and which I need to join. Still doing research .....

Did the artist cowrite the song with you? If not, he/she is not entitled to any of your publishing. You need to educate yourself (quickly) on how publishing and songwriting works. A couple of books I would recommend are "All You Need To Know About The Music Business" by Donald Passman, and "Music, Money And Success" by Jeffrey & Todd Brabec. You might be able to find them at a library if you don't wish to purchase them, but I would recommend having both. Excellent reference books that include info on how publishing works, what is 'standard' in a contract, etc.

#5 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 12:47 PM

View Postpkellyca, on 27 April 2012 - 04:08 PM, said:

If you're waiting on documents to sign from SOCAN, I think you already have made the decision to join that one. It's free to join so I would do it quickly, even though they keep your royalties until you join.

Quick and dirty lesson, keep in mind I'm no expert and I fully expect somebody to correct me on this...

Copyright is just what it says...the right to copy. As a photographer I own the copyright to any image I create as long as it doesn't infringe other copyrights (ie. photographing a piece of art...which in most cases is illegal). Nobody is allowed to use that image unless I give express consent to do so. If I take a picture of a model, even SHE doesn't have the rights to the image unless negotiated differently. It's the same with music. As the songwriter, you own the copyright. You decide who is allowed to use the music and for what purpose. There are exceptions such as educational use and what not but that gets into a whole different ballgame.

Good article on how it all works as far as royalties...

http://entertainment...-royalties5.htm

A music publisher is the person who administers (probably the wrong word) the rights and licenses the music to be used on radio or in TV, Film, etc. This is why many home recordists and "amateurs" are self-published, so nobody else takes a cut...this is what the Internet has done for us. Cut out the middleman so to speak. There are still many advantages to getting your music signed by a real publisher though.

SOCAN
SOCAN manages the public performance right and the right of communication to the public by telecommunication as well as copying for private use. It represents writer-composers and music publishers across Canada and throughout the world via reciprocity agreements. SOCAN has 70,000 members in Canada. Revenues for 2003 were $180 million for all of Canada.

SODRAC
SODRAC manages the reproduction rights for music writers, composers, and publishers in Canada. It also manages copying for private use. SODRAC represents the repertoires of more than 65 countries in Canada. There are about 5,000 Canadian members. SODRAC also manages the rights of creators of artistic works. It represents about 200 members from Canada and a total of about 25,000 artists at the national and international levels.SODRAC’s revenues for the fiscal year ending 31 March 2004 were $14 million, all rights combined.

Perhaps somebody a little more up on the terminology can explain the difference, because I don't get it. It seems SOCAN would be the one for a songwriter to join, I'd never even heard of SODRAC before this thread.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#6 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 28 April 2012 - 02:07 PM

FunkDaddy said:

Perhaps somebody a little more up on the terminology can explain the difference, because I don't get it. It seems SOCAN would be the one for a songwriter to join, I'd never even heard of SODRAC before this thread.

The answer was before you:

SOCAN manages the public performance right
SODRAC manages the reproduction rights

'Reproduction rights' are what we better know as "mechanicals" - i.e. when a song is reproduced in some playable format.
In Canada, CMMRA takes care of that for the bigger guys, while SODRAC handles business for smaller fish like you and me.
If someone records and presses your song, and you are not a CMMRA or SODRAC member, then you won't get paid for it.
SODRAC is free to join for the individual: CMMRA charges membership.

That linked article has a few holes in it - mainly because it is predicated on US practice and presumes the rest of the world works in the same way'
Bloody typical.
Innit?
Hip Pocket Music

"It is the best of all trades to make songs...
and the second best to sing them"

Hillaire Belloc

“SONG is the joint art of words and music, two arts under emotional pressure coalescing into a third.
The relation and balance of the two arts is a problem that has to be resolved anew in every song that is composed.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users