Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: World Population - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Population

#1 Guest_bernabby_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 13 April 2012 - 08:40 PM

What percentage of the world's 6B population can be fitted into the State of Texas using the density proportions of New York?

#2 User is offline   Neal K Icon

• Smile. It'll do you good.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:46 PM

Depends. Do all 6b people have Texas-sized egos?

Neal
The forest would be silent if only the best birds sang.

#3 Guest_Gravity Jim_*

Posted 13 April 2012 - 09:50 PM

I suppose it's 100%, but it doesn't matter. Because the problems of overpopulation are not simply problems of space, but of food, water, waste disposal, hearing and cooling, transportation, employment, etc., etc.

#4 User is offline   paradise dismissed Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 April 2012 - 11:06 PM

i believe the population is above 7 billion now...

#5 User is online   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 14 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

View Postbernabby, on 13 April 2012 - 08:40 PM, said:

What percentage of the world's 6B population can be fitted into the State of Texas using the density proportions of New York?

I'm not sure, I'm feeling a bit too lazy to want to do the math on geographical demographics right now, however, according to National Geographic: Posted Image

"Standing shoulder to shoulder, all 7 billion of us, would fill the city of Los Angeles."

Some more demographic facts from NatGeo: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=sc4HxPxNrZ0
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#6 User is offline   Ian Ferrin Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 02:24 AM

You could fit everyone inside a jacuzzi if you stacked 'em high enough (albeit some probably wouldn't survive in outer space).

The biomass of humans isn't overwhelming, I agree. But our ecological footprint is huge. Are we being good stewards Bern?
Ian's Soundclick Page

"Hammers don't build houses. People build houses.

A hammer is just a tool. But it's a powerful tool" - me

#7 User is online   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 14 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

It seems my curiosity is stronger then my laziness. Posted Image

And Jim would be right in saying 100% of the world's population can fit inside Texas, using New York City's population density figures.

Surprisingly, the world's population would even have 918 less people per square mile, then New York City's density

City of New York population (April 2010 census) - 8,175,133

City Of New York area in Square miles - 303 sq mi.

8,175,133 / 303 = 26,981 rounded - ppl per sq mi.

World population (2012 estimate.) - 7,000,000,000

State of Texas area - 268,581 sq mi.

7,000,000,000 / 268,581 = 26,063 rounded - ppl per sq mi.

26,981 - 26,063 = 918
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#8 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:08 AM

View Postbernabby, on 14 April 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Let's just say, for the purposes of argument, that the answer might be 100% (as others have noted might be a reasonable assumption). The question that might necessarily arise from such a conclusion is this: How much bigger a space than the State of Texas would be required to provide all the resources, in terms of food, energy and construction materials to keep not only those 6 billion humans alive, but also the many other many billions of other living creatures?

Just out of interest, Bernabby, what was it that prompted your question? Was it something you heard on TV?

#9 User is offline   Jackie Chan's Wee Gran Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 08:10 AM

How much bigger a space than the State of Texas would be required to provide all the resources, in terms of food, energy and construction materials to keep not only those 6 billion humans alive, but also the many other many billions of other living creatures?

let me see...
(Texas - Kentucky x Scotland)/2.3232 + 4.3 - square root of Peru + Bob Dylans pants / Spain x Newtons 6th law x speed of light x Plancks constant x atomic weight of thorium - half life of radium = Delaware and part of Romania

according to my calculations you would roughly need at least Delaware and some of Romania...I'm not an expect mind and I could have missed something.

#10 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:30 AM

I think it's an excellent idea.

Everybody should go to Texas - then I can get some peace and quiet.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#11 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:31 AM

View Postbernabby, on 13 April 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

I think it would depend on how many wanted to wear cowboy hats.
Posted Image
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2008 & 2009
1 + 1 Song of the Year 2009 Ain't That True

My Soundclick Page
My lyrics and songs hosted by Lyricadia

#12 User is offline   Jackie Chan's Wee Gran Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

View PostAlistair S, on 15 April 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

it seems like a good idea but you'd soon get bored...what would you do all day? Just sit at home and watch old re-runs of Dallas?

#13 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 11:08 AM

View PostJackie Chan said:

View PostAlistair S, on 15 April 2012 - 11:30 AM, said:

it seems like a good idea but you'd soon get bored...what would you do all day? Just sit at home and watch old re-runs of Dallas?

Have you been to Texas?

What would you do all day? :)

(I'd keep a few people here with me for .. umm .. entertainment purposes).
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#14 User is offline   Roger Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 12:40 PM

I seldom say things like this, but the ignorance on this thread is strong.

#15 User is offline   Ian Ferrin Icon

• -
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:37 PM

View PostRoger, on 15 April 2012 - 10:40 AM, said:

Care to share your intelligence?
Ian's Soundclick Page

"Hammers don't build houses. People build houses.

A hammer is just a tool. But it's a powerful tool" - me

#16 User is offline   Jackie Chan's Wee Gran Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:47 PM

Have you been to Texas?

What would you do all day? :)

now now Alistair, don't be Texist.. :)

#17 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 02:58 PM

View PostRoger, on 15 April 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Sorry roger, all in good fun. We're just hanging out waiting for bernabby to come back on the thread and reveal to us the true nature of his inquiry. Basically, it's still cocktail and hors d'oeuvres time.

Except for Bruce who seems to be already on the entree.
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

My Soundclick Page

#18 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:06 PM

Posted Image

OK.. edumacate me..

Unless I have to go to West Texas (except San Antonio.. the River Walk is cool).

If I do ..

Posted Image
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#19 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:12 PM

View PostGravity Jim, on 13 April 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

I suppose it's 100%, but it doesn't matter. Because the problems of overpopulation are not simply problems of space, but of food, water, waste disposal, hearing and cooling, transportation, employment, etc., etc.

Was my question about overpopulation problems or how many can be fit into the State of Texas? I'll have to go back and look it up.

#20 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:13 PM

View Postparadise dismissed, on 13 April 2012 - 09:06 PM, said:

i believe the population is above 7 billion now...

I see, it's still growing.

#21 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:17 PM

View PostIan Ferrin, on 14 April 2012 - 12:24 AM, said:

You could fit everyone inside a jacuzzi if you stacked 'em high enough (albeit some probably wouldn't survive in outer space).

The biomass of humans isn't overwhelming, I agree. But our ecological footprint is huge. Are we being good stewards Bern?

Well, when I asked my question there were 6B people. Now, there are 7B so my guess is yes, we are being good stewards. How does the population continue to grow if we are not good stewards?

#22 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:23 PM

View PostBruce N, on 14 April 2012 - 04:56 AM, said:

It seems my curiosity is stronger then my laziness. Posted Image

And Jim would be right in saying 100% of the world's population can fit inside Texas, using New York City's population density figures.

Surprisingly, the world's population would even have 918 less people per square mile, then New York City's density

City of New York population (April 2010 census) - 8,175,133

City Of New York area in Square miles - 303 sq mi.

8,175,133 / 303 = 26,981 rounded - ppl per sq mi.

World population (2012 estimate.) - 7,000,000,000

State of Texas area - 268,581 sq mi.

7,000,000,000 / 268,581 = 26,063 rounded - ppl per sq mi.

26,981 - 26,063 = 918

You get the math trophy. Can you imagine the earth's mass when every human being can fit into just one State. Can you imagine a world with 7 trillion people?

#23 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:24 PM

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 09:17 PM, said:

How does the population continue to grow if we are not good stewards?

Well, there's the birds and there's the bees .. and gin helps, in my experience.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#24 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:29 PM

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Can you imagine a world with 7 trillion people?

Won't happen. The plan is for a max of 9 Billion. And we can cope with that - especially with some work on refrigeration and road transport.

http://www.un.org/es...op2300final.pdf

Of course, plans are only theories about the future and we may all have to go and live in Texas.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#25 User is offline   Jackie Chan's Wee Gran Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

You get the math trophy. Can you imagine the earth's mass when every human being can fit into just one State. Can you imagine a world with 7 trillion people?

can you imagine x1000 times more fresh water and oil, trees, arable land, etc etc?

#26 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:48 PM

View PostSimple Simon, on 15 April 2012 - 02:08 AM, said:

View Postbernabby, on 14 April 2012 - 02:40 PM, said:

Let's just say, for the purposes of argument, that the answer might be 100% (as others have noted might be a reasonable assumption). The question that might necessarily arise from such a conclusion is this: How much bigger a space than the State of Texas would be required to provide all the resources, in terms of food, energy and construction materials to keep not only those 6 billion humans alive, but also the many other many billions of other living creatures?

Well, since the world's population keeps growing each year it seems that the space and resources are keeping pace. The earth does well to keep up with growing pains and the perceived fears of man made destruction don't you think?
Just out of interest, Bernabby, what was it that prompted your question? Was it something you heard on TV?

No, it was a trivia question in one of the periodicals I receive each month. This one was in a real estate letter published once a quarter. Some interesting responses and deep reading into the question.

#27 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

View Postjonie, on 15 April 2012 - 08:31 AM, said:

View Postbernabby, on 13 April 2012 - 09:40 PM, said:

I think it would depend on how many wanted to wear cowboy hats.
Posted Image

Believe it or not, if the whole world embraced the Texas lifestyle the whole world would be in a better place. Can I get an amen? :)

#28 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 03:55 PM

View Postjonie, on 15 April 2012 - 12:58 PM, said:

View PostRoger, on 15 April 2012 - 01:40 PM, said:

Sorry roger, all in good fun. We're just hanging out waiting for bernabby to come back on the thread and reveal to us the true nature of his inquiry. Basically, it's still cocktail and hors d'oeuvres time.

Except for Bruce who seems to be already on the entree.

I'm baaack. Break out the silverware. No salads, let's go straight to the meat.

#29 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:00 PM

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Believe it or not, if the whole world embraced the Texas lifestyle the whole world would be in a better place. Can I get an amen? :)

Ahem? What lifestyle would that be? Texans are as diverse a group of people and cultures as New Yorkers or Floridians.
George Orwell

Arthur C. Clarke

My Soundclick Page

#30 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:08 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 15 April 2012 - 01:29 PM, said:

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 09:23 PM, said:

Can you imagine a world with 7 trillion people?

Won't happen. The plan is for a max of 9 Billion. And we can cope with that - especially with some work on refrigeration and road transport.

I believe we'll have some Star Trek technology by then so not to worry about road transport I think it will be more like personal air vehicles or "beam me up" public particle transport.
http://www.un.org/es...op2300final.pdf

Of course, plans are only theories about the future and we may all have to go and live in Texas.

Don't believe in those man made plans - they tend to not work out as planned. Man only uses about 10% of brainpower can you imagine just what another 5% will do for mankind? Let's be optimists and remove any roadblocks towards achievements.

#31 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:19 PM

can you imagine x1000 times more fresh water and oil, trees, arable land, etc etc?

Yes. I've heard that the earth has 300 million trillion gallons of water. Israel has a de-salination plant to convert sea water into drinking water. I believe our large military ships also have that capacity. We don't know how much oil we have but we do know that the untouched oil products under our continental US borders exceeds all of the Saudi's and mideast reserves. Texas is but a pimple of the earth's land mass. Land can be cultivated to grow things. Genetic engineering makes it easier to grow in all climates and soil conditions. Be positive young man you live in the greatest creation by God's hand (oops, am I allowed to say this). Let man now take it from here.

#32 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:24 PM

View Postjonie, on 15 April 2012 - 02:00 PM, said:

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 04:52 PM, said:

Ahem? What lifestyle would that be? Texans are as diverse a group of people and cultures as New Yorkers or Floridians.

I meant the conservative, traditional and friendly southern culture lifestyle not the liberal Yankee infiltration going on in some cities like Austin :)

#33 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:36 PM

So, we're talking more Lubbock than - say - Houston? Not much happens in large swathes of Texas.

The cities are different. Sometimes very different, even from each other. Even Dallas and Fort Worth are quite different in feel.

Have you been to Texas, Bernabby? Some people are very friendly, I agree. Some are .. well .. not so much. I do wonder if you have a realistic view of the place.

I did know one Texan who was very conservative. He liked to beat his wife if she went out with her hair showing .. because it made her too attractive, apparently. He was from west Texas, though. Then again, so was my ex-brother-in-law, who is a delightful, gentle giant but awkward in company.

I'm just burbling on. Aren't we all, though?
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#34 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 15 April 2012 - 02:36 PM, said:

So, we're talking more Lubbock than - say - Houston? Not much happens in large swathes of Texas.

The cities are different. Sometimes very different, even from each other. Even Dallas and Fort Worth are quite different in feel.

Have you been to Texas, Bernabby? Some people are very friendly, I agree. Some are .. well .. not so much. I do wonder if you have a realistic view of the place.

I did know one Texan who was very conservative. He liked to beat his wife if she went out with her hair showing .. because it made her too attractive, apparently. He was from west Texas, though. Then again, so was my ex-brother-in-law, who is a delightful, gentle giant but awkward in company.

I'm just burbling on. Aren't we all, though?

I only had a stop over in Texas years ago on my way to Atlanta. Texas is part of the southern connection so it can't be bad. Besides you have everyone from Nolan Ryan to GW Bush living there so it's got to be good, don't you think? Don't get much migration from Texas to California but the other way around. Besides, Texas, is a no state income State.

#35 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:49 PM

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Texas is part of the southern connection so it can't be bad. Besides you have everyone from Nolan Ryan to GW Bush living there so it's got to be good, don't you think?

Not takin' the bait! :P
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#36 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 15 April 2012 - 02:49 PM, said:

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 10:41 PM, said:

Texas is part of the southern connection so it can't be bad. Besides you have everyone from Nolan Ryan to GW Bush living there so it's got to be good, don't you think?

Not takin' the bait! :P

Ok, I'll try a lure if you don't like fish eggs. But you're going to get hooked.

#37 User is offline   Jackie Chan's Wee Gran Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 04:53 PM

Texas is but a pimple of the earth's land mass. Land can be cultivated to grow things. Genetic engineering makes it easier to grow in all climates and soil conditions. Be positive young man you live in the greatest creation by God's hand (oops, am I allowed to say this). Let man now take it from here.

well saying we're talking Texas here, what about the Dust Bowl?
that's a real life lesson right there in what happens when we don't respect the conditions of the earth and respect it or overload it's capacity to produce...the earth isn't the gift that keeps on giving forever, it has limits. You shouldn't forget your own history.

By the way, is this the way to Amarillo?

#38 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:04 PM

is this the way to Amarillo?[/font]

Nope. You can't get to Amarillo from here. No, sir.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#39 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:07 PM

View Postbernabby, on 13 April 2012 - 06:40 PM, said:

The right answer is 100%. Those who got this right go straight to the top. There appears to be peripheral discussions taking place loosely related to this question. I wish to add a disclaimer to the board. Although this was intended as a trivia question I was only 75% sure that it would lead to further discussions. Ok, maybe 80%. Although Bruce proved it mathmatically, it is still somewhat amazing to think that 7B people could actually fit in a piece of land the size of Texas.

#40 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:12 PM

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 11:07 PM, said:

it is still somewhat amazing to think that 7B people could actually fit in a piece of land the size of Texas.

Yeah, but would 7 Billion Texans Americans fit? :lol:

Posted Image
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#41 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:15 PM

Texas is but a pimple of the earth's land mass. Land can be cultivated to grow things. Genetic engineering makes it easier to grow in all climates and soil conditions. Be positive young man you live in the greatest creation by God's hand (oops, am I allowed to say this). Let man now take it from here.

well saying we're talking Texas here, what about the Dust Bowl?
that's a real life lesson right there in what happens when we don't respect the conditions of the earth and respect it or overload it's capacity to produce...the earth isn't the gift that keeps on giving forever, it has limits. You shouldn't forget your own history.

I think you are having a wee bit of a problem with history. The dust bowl was an act of nature not man. It came, it went, we overcame and the south prospered. That's the history. Sometimes mother nature gets a tantrum but she always calms down and keeps the gift of regeneration going. Give the earth some credit it's managed to survive for billions of years according to science.

By the way, is this the way to Amarillo?

Yes, keep going south till you see some funny looking critters.

#42 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 15 April 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

it is still somewhat amazing to think that 7B people could actually fit in a piece of land the size of Texas.

Posted Image

Point taken. Ok, let's go back to 6B including Texans.

#43 User is online   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:20 PM

I think it's the romanticized notion of what a Texan lifestyle is all about, and many still cling to that iconic idealism, rightly or wrongly it was the manifest for survival, there were no shades of gray, it was a black and white, life or death culture at the time, though I hardly feel that's the case today in Texas, I'm sure a good many Texans keep those sentiments of that early Texas lifestyle close to their hearts. I think they're a very proud people.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

#44 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:21 PM

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

The dust bowl was an act of nature not man.

So, farming practices had nothing to do with it? Look again, Bob.
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

#45 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

I lived in Houston for about a year back in the eighties. A bustling, diverse city with thriving and well accepted gay and Latino communities as well as Muslim, Indian and so much more. I've also spent time in San Antonio (ex-parents-in-law live there) and there is no more exciting and energizing mix of people and culture than those that inhabit the city of the Alamo.

Isolated rural communities tend to veer toward social conservatism, which Texas has a lot of, but to reduce the great State of Texas to cattle, cowboys, and oil, is a stereotypical insult.

You should visit sometime. You might be surprised.
George Orwell

Arthur C. Clarke

My Soundclick Page

#46 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 15 April 2012 - 03:12 PM, said:

Posted Image

Blame Ali, not me. I don't weight gender/what-not-to-wear profile.

#47 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:29 PM

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Although Bruce proved it mathmatically, it is still somewhat amazing to think that 7B people could actually fit in a piece of land the size of Texas.

I agree, it is amazing, and a bit scary to think about.

Posted Image
George Orwell

Arthur C. Clarke

My Soundclick Page

#48 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 05:40 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 15 April 2012 - 03:21 PM, said:

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 11:15 PM, said:

The dust bowl was an act of nature not man.

So, farming practices had nothing to do with it? Look again, Bob.

Ok, this will be a rare disagreement. From my understanding severe drought conditions complicated by severe dust storms destroyed much of the land and destroyed the lives of many. How do you farm in drought conditions? Mother nature created the drought and brought the storms. Where am I wrong? These were the depression era 30's. We didn't have the advances of agricultural technology and genetic engineering we have today. Blaming it on farm practices is like blaming residents for being in the way of a sudden tornado.

#49 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:06 PM

View Postjonie, on 15 April 2012 - 03:29 PM, said:

View Postbernabby, on 15 April 2012 - 06:07 PM, said:

Although Bruce proved it mathmatically, it is still somewhat amazing to think that 7B people could actually fit in a piece of land the size of Texas.

I agree, it is amazing, and a bit scary to think about.

Posted Image

My first thought was what's this place going to look like after the rally. Where are the outhouses, who's going to clean up a billion pounds of waste - what if it's me. Ok, I'm getting scared too.

#50 Guest_bernabby_*

Posted 15 April 2012 - 06:11 PM

View PostBruce N, on 15 April 2012 - 03:20 PM, said:

I think it's the romanticized notion of what a Texan lifestyle is all about, and many still cling to that iconic idealism, rightly or wrongly it was the manifest for survival, there were no shades of gray, it was a black and white, life or death culture at the time, though I hardly feel that's the case today in Texas, I'm sure a good many Texans keep those sentiments of that early Texas lifestyle close to their hearts. I think they're a very proud people.

http://www.youtube.c...player_embedded

Love the Duke. Dead as a beaver hat. Precious.

• (4 Pages)
  • +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users