Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Where can I find singers at? - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where can I find singers at? Craigslist doesn't seem to be very effective

#1 User is offline   TheShamrockCrew Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Hello everyone,
So I recently moved to Los Angeles and I am now working with a music producer in Hollywood. Anyway, we are having a little trouble finding singers and when we do find some they can't sing very well. Right now we have only tried using craigslist and posting ads at colleges and on the street but that doesn't seem to be very effective. Is there a better way to approach this? If so, let me know! Thanks!
I'M JUST A POP SONGWRITER, THAT CAN BARELY/SORTA(?) SING, LAYING DOWN VOCALS ON DEMOS (FOR COPYRIGHTING PURPOSES) IN HOPES OF MAKING IT BIG IN LOS ANGELES.

#2 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:23 PM

Forgive me.
I am a little confused.
L.A. is teeming with hot singers.
And you are working with a Hollywood music producer who doesn't know any?

Craigslist!?
Hip Pocket Music

"It is the best of all trades to make songs...
and the second best to sing them"

Hillaire Belloc

“SONG is the joint art of words and music, two arts under emotional pressure coalescing into a third.
The relation and balance of the two arts is a problem that has to be resolved anew in every song that is composed.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica

#3 User is offline   TheShamrockCrew Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:31 PM

View PostLazz, on 24 May 2012 - 04:23 PM, said:

Forgive me.
I am a little confused.
L.A. is teeming with hot singers.
And you are working with a Hollywood music producer who doesn't know any?

Craigslist!?

Yes he lives in Hollywood, that is where his studio is, and he is a Producer. Not a famous one yet but he is very talented, just not very confident so I am working on giving him a push and so far it's going well. The issue is that the singers he knows just aren't very good. Anyway, as previously stated I am doing what I know to find more talent, so if you can think of other ways I can go about it, that would be helpful to me (such as naming websites, other kinds of venues I can hit up) then feel free to point me in that direction. Thanks.
I'M JUST A POP SONGWRITER, THAT CAN BARELY/SORTA(?) SING, LAYING DOWN VOCALS ON DEMOS (FOR COPYRIGHTING PURPOSES) IN HOPES OF MAKING IT BIG IN LOS ANGELES.

#4 User is offline   Lazz Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:57 PM

OK.
I think I get it now.

But I am unable to help. I'm more old-skool in depending on a personal network that has just accumulated and grown over the years. Like bacterial mold. I know nothing of websites in that regard - don't really trust 'em - Craigslist even less - known friends and associates and their recommendations are always much more dependable and productive.

My only suggestion is to get out there and start making connections.
Much better when you know people.
Face-to-face, real-to-real.

(And keep trying and help your pal deal with his self-confidence problems.)
Hip Pocket Music

"It is the best of all trades to make songs...
and the second best to sing them"

Hillaire Belloc

“SONG is the joint art of words and music, two arts under emotional pressure coalescing into a third.
The relation and balance of the two arts is a problem that has to be resolved anew in every song that is composed.”

The Encyclopedia Britannica

#5 User is offline   TheShamrockCrew Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 24 May 2012 - 04:58 PM

View PostLazz, on 24 May 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

OK.
I think I get it now.

But I am unable to help. I'm more old-skool in depending on a personal network that has just accumulated and grown over the years. Like bacterial mold. I know nothing of websites in that regard - don't really trust 'em - Craigslist even less - known friends and associates and their recommendations are always much more dependable and productive.

My only suggestion is to get out there and start making connections.
Much better when you know people.
Face-to-face, real-to-real.

(And keep trying and help your pal deal with his self-confidence problems.)

#6 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 26 May 2012 - 07:01 PM

When people find out you're a producer, they'll immediately tell you about their friend who can (or thinks they can) sing. This is how I've met the majority of singers and bands I've worked or plan to work with. Chances are if a singer is trying to find a gig on Craigslist, there's a reason nobody has snatched them up yet. Talent quickly becomes known even on the smallest scales. People who are serious about and good at making music will find each other quickly, so you have to be on top of your game and be on the lookout at all times.

Get over any anxiety or shyness right away. If you find somebody you want to work with, make it known and pursue them.

Go to your local open mics, I'm sure L.A. has quite a few. You might get lucky and find somebody interested in working on your type of music, though I imagine a lot of it would be singer/songwriters who prefer their style as well as writing their own stuff.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#7 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:56 PM

Just a thought but ASCAP or BMI? Don't really know if they are organizations for vocalists as well but they might be a resource.

It may just a matter of having the patience to weed through the chaff. There are plenty of good vocalists out there languishing in obscurity. Some don't have the "looks" or the connections to get the recognition their voices may deserve. Just a personal observation.
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2008 & 2009
1 + 1 Song of the Year 2009 Ain't That True

My Soundclick Page
My lyrics and songs hosted by Lyricadia

#8 User is offline   DeeDee Icon

• Inspirational Muse
  • PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:songwriting, music, psychology, reading, food, wine, movies, television and comedy

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:04 PM

You could try these guys...although I don't know much about them.

http://www.bandmix.com/

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users