Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Semi-Impulse Buy - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Semi-Impulse Buy A Boss GT-8 Processor

#1 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 01:33 AM

Why "semi-impulse"? Well, it was an online auction for something I couldn't really afford or justify at the moment - that's the impulse part - but I've often thought that I'd quite like to replace my old Boss ME10 processor that served me well for many years before finally biting the bullet about 5 years ago, so that's the "semi" part.

It was hard to justify simply because I haven't even been playing all that much in recent times, but I rationalised that with the fact that someone recently approached me about joining their covers band (which I'm still pretty unsure about) and I would "need" more effects and sounds in order to properly emulate those in the songs we would be playing. See how my thinking works on things like this? I also rationalised that I could probably sell off my Behringer V-Amp pro and a couple of standalone pedals to offset the cost (yeah, right!).

So anyway... it arrived today, and I'm honestly really impressed with it so far. I haven't tried DI'ing it straight into my desk yet (it has a range of amp and speaker simulations on offer) but I plugged it into my Gibson Goldtone amp and, ignoring the presets (as I usually do) started exploring its possibilities.

My first impression is simply that the sounds - those few that I have tried so far - are great - far better than those of either my old Behringer Pro or the PodXT Live that I've had on long-term loan from a friend. First of all, they don't detract from the sound of my guitar and amp, as some processors do. The tonal qualities of my gear still shine through (almost) all the effects I tried (the acoustic guitar modelling would be one of the few examples where this wasn't the case, but I can forgive them for that ;) ). There's none of that sense of digital grittiness I've long come to associate with modellers like this.

My second impression is that it's easy to use. Heck, the manual is even well-written! Within 20 minutes or so, I was happily throwing together all kinds of customised patches.

Sorry, I was starting to ramble there and sound like one of those online equipment reviews. Posted Image I guess the main question in my mind is whether this new toy might continue to inspire me to play the way it has this afternoon and that I haven't done for some time. I have a funny feeling that it might. We'll see. :)
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• ... but you turn right over to the T.V. page
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 27 January 2012 - 08:45 AM

You will enjoy that, I like Boss guitar stuff. My main live electric board now is the Boss ME70 (see below)

Posted Image

#3 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 27 January 2012 - 12:53 PM

Hi Matey,
Yeah, I too know that rationalization sequence very well. :lol:
Iím glad to hear that youíre dusting off that Ax and hopefully weíll be hearing some of your work again.
I miss that.
And now there appears to be no excuse for making some music again.
After all, we donít want to have the live musicianship go extinct in Paraparaumu do we?
Have fun with your new toy. :)
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate
and here is the rest.
My homepage.

#4 User is offline   Simple Simon Icon

• Distant Uncle Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Life.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 02:32 AM

I'm not familiar with the ME70, Nige, but I've always liked Boss gear too. At a glance, your processor looks to have a lot in common with mine.

Danny... don't put the pressure on me, buddy! ;) I might be having a lot of fun with this wee device and playing a lot more than I have in years (I love that aching of well-worked finger muscles!), but I'm a long way from creating anything that I feel is worth recording or doing anything (ahem) "serious" with. ;)

#5 User is offline   DannyDep Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:To make a difference and in the general realm of things, to enjoy life.

Posted 29 January 2012 - 07:18 PM

View PostSimple Simon, on 29 January 2012 - 02:32 AM, said:

Danny... don't put the pressure on me, buddy! ;) I might be having a lot of fun with this wee device and playing a lot more than I have in years (I love that aching of well-worked finger muscles!), but I'm a long way from creating anything that I feel is worth recording or doing anything (ahem) "serious" with. ;)
In honor of the Queen, I say,
Bollocks!!!
"No pain, no gain."
And I know you're on the right side of that ledger. ;)
Have fun Matey. :)

P.S. I think I've got it. :D
"The quality of life,
can only be measured by
the integrity of yourself and the friends
that take the trip with you."

Here are two of my friends,
Posted Image
here is my Soundclick page,
Soundclick webpage
here is my Facebook page,
Facebook webpate