Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: May Collab Contest - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

May Collab Contest The Skinny

#101 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators
  • Interests:Sure.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:36 AM

The Winner of the May Collaboration Contest is:

But first I'd to say a job well done by all contestants, I've played the station for a few of my friends, and they were very impressed and had favorable comments on all the songs. The songs on this play list will get some frequent rotation from me this summer.

As always, a big thank you to all the non-contestants who voted, eight in total, who's critical ear is invaluable to the participants.

Thank you, Alistair S, Randy P Gendron, Kimberlyinnc, LYD, Jimski 123, Simple Simon, Mystery Mike and the man with the strategic vote RLD.

And now

"The Winner of the May Collaboration Contest"

"Summers By Your Side" by Decker and TamsNumber4 - 34.09%

Congratulations Tammy and John-Paul

Second place goes to.

"Until The Summer Ends" by NigeQ and Billy - 18.18%

Congratulations Billy and Nige

Third place goes to.

"Those Summer Days" by Fabkebab and GreyBeard -14.39%

Congratulations gentlemen

The Scorecard:
( % = 132- the number of points available for distribution.)

"Don't Trust That Summertime Smile" - Daddio/SatanInventedBras 0-2-1-0-2-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-3-2-2-2-0 = 15 -- 11.36%
"Dance The Nights Away (All Summer Long) - Neuroron/Jonie 0-0-2-1-1-0-2-0-0-0-1-1-0-2-0-0-0-0-0-1-0-1 = 12 -- 9.09%
"Summer Home" - FunkDaddy/No Future 0-0-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-1-1-0-1-0-0-0-1-0 = 5 -- 3.80%
"Until The Summer Ends" NigeQ/Billy 1-3-3-2-0-0-3-2-3-1-3-2-0-0-0-1-0-0-0-0-0-0 = 24 --18.18%
"Those Summer Days" - Fabkebab/Greybeard 2-0-0-0-0-2-1-1-2-0-0-0-0-3-2-0-2-1-1-0-0-2 = 19 -- 14.39%
"Just Like Summer" - Neal K/Starsinmyeyes 0-0-0-0-0-3-0-0-0-2-0-0-2-0-0=2-3-0-0-0-0-0 =12 -- 9.09%
"Summers By Your Side" - Decker/TamsNumber4 3-1-0-3-3-0-0-3-1-3-2-3-3-0-3-3-0-2-3-3-3-3 = 45
-- 34.09%

Well done everyone, and I'm sure everyone will appreciate comments and some feedback on their songs.

Cheers to summer everyone. Posted Image
Bruce
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#102 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 04 June 2010 - 04:20 AM

I found this one particularly hard to vote on. "Summer" songs are very much a matter of taste but I tried to apply the guidelines, scoring songs with definite "summer" feel higher (even though I do admit that "summery" songs can sometimes be a little cheesy for me :)). For some songs I liked the music, but wasn't keen on the lyric, some vice versa and for some songs I liked both.

I finally narrowed my list down to 4 and tried them all in different orders, trying to separate them. I even tried seeing who came closest to 3 minutes, but all of them were so close!

Eventually, I just had to make a decision. Nige and Billy got my top vote.

There is no arguing with that vote, though! Many congratulations to Decker and Tams (who were in my top 4, along with Ron and Daddio)! A clear winner, and to be voted first by 13 out of 22 voters is an amazing achievement! Well done!

Well done to everyone! This was a challenging competition (I was glad I wasn't in it!) and everyone rose to the challenge magnificently :)
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#103 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:56 AM

Decker and Tams absolutely deserved this one, as soon as I heard it I was hoping it would win. Great job!

I liked the style of voting too. Was a bit more of a challenge, had to listen more critically.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#104 User is offline   TamsNumber4 Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2010 - 07:36 AM

A great swan song for me for contests on the Muse, always go out on top......

JP, I think you are wicked talented, I haven't had anyone who listened to this song that didn't want it on their i-pod. Some day I will stand amongst the swooning girls who are drooling all over your hit cd and I will know that "hey, I e-mailed this guy", how cool!! I love your voice and wish we could hear more of your songs on the Muse!! I was very worried that being partnered with me would hurt the song's chances in the voting, but I am glad that it was a clear winner!

Billy, what a great lyric! I kept thinking along the lines of Nickelback's "This Afternoon", you and Nige had a great song!

Neuroron and Jonie, I loved the whole "Dirty Dancing" idea of the lyric, a great summer idea!

To my dear friend Tracy (stars) - I am SO PROUD of you, your lyric is wonderful and I know that Neal helped you dig to a place you hadn't before and his mentoring brought out the best, what a great team, I'm so grateful to him for his influence and I hope that he has also been blown away by your amazing talents!! HUGS!!!!

I can now appreciate how difficult this contest is and I would like to say that I thought everyone did such an amazing job!!

NOW.............I've got lots of lyrics I wrote for this, watch out for lots of summer fluff songs from me on the song board!

Tammy
Visit my SoundClick site for songs

~Look at everything as though you were seeing it either for the first or last time.~

Professor Albus Dumbledore: Words are, in my not-so-humble opinion, our most inexhaustible source of magic. Capable of both inflicting injury, and remedying it.

#105 User is offline   daddio Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm not all that interested.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:13 AM

What a great bunch of songs! I really had trouble scoring this one and would not have been surprised by any song winning. I had lyd and Greybeard on top.
Congrats Tammy and Decker on a great job.
Thanks to all the non-contestant voters and to Bruce for a great comp.
Lately I'm feeling my inner dog.

"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable"

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S. Thompson

"The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."
Hunter S. Thompson

"I pay no attention whatever to anybody's praise or blame. I simply follow my own feelings."
Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

My Soundclick
My Reverbnation page
My Facebook

Ain't That True 1+1 Song Of The Year 2009

When You're Cain 1+1 Song of the Year 2013

#106 User is offline   neuroron Icon

• A meandering Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All aspects of music and sound - from the poetic to the scientific. Neurology/neuroscience.

Posted 04 June 2010 - 08:41 AM

Congratulations to everyone, especially the winners - pretty much my ordering also - these cpllab contests continue to be the best contest here because they get everyone top get something new done probably out of their usual M.O. - Ron
Visit me at my Soundclick site: The RT Project - Or Facebook

#107 User is offline   Billy Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:30 AM

Congratulations to Tammy and Decker. What a great sound! The minute I heard it, I thought it was going to win. It's very contemporary and modern sounding! Nicely done. I particularly liked the chorus. As I told Decker, I think it could soar even more but it sounds wonderful when sung!

Also, congratulations to everyone for a job well done and thank you for recognizing my song with Nige. He was terrific to work with and extremely helpful. Altlhough I can string a line or two together I still need a lot of guidance in terms of structure and song development. Fortunately for me, I've worked with very good musicians during thes collab contests who have helped me through the process, including Ian, Don and now Nige. It's still not fully clicking but I'm trying! I'm sure it's frustrating at times from a musicians perspective to have to spend extra time walking an inexperienced lyricist through the process but from my vantage point, it's invaluable and I'm very appreciative for the extra time and effort everyone makes on this board. Even you Don! :P Like Alistair said, the musicians have the tough job!

Thanks again to Nige and everyone else for making this such a wonderful experience. We got a lot of good songs out of the process. And most importantly, thanks to Bruce for a flawless effort. I commend anyone who's willing to take on such a thing. To me it seems daunting. I'm not the most organized or discipled person so coordinating something like this seems monumental to me. I also liked the scoring method. I found it very simple and effective.

Finally, I echo many of Alistair's sentiments and opinions about the process and the judging of these particular songs. Like he said, in some cases I was more fond of the music than the lyric and vise versa. It's tough to judge the whole product objectively!

Take care,
Billy

#108 User is offline   SatanInventedBras Icon

• Call me Cordelia
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2010 - 09:56 AM

Congrats Decker/Tams!

Great challenge - you were my top pick, as well. Nige/Billy were my second and Neuroron/Jonie were my third, but it was hard to place them... Its easier to rate them all individually! :)

Had a blast working with Don -- great collaborator, 4th place ain't so shabby partner :D This is my second time participating in this challenge, it's been so much fun, so yes, I'll do this again (hey hey Nige, you and me baby ;))

more of my writing
my soundclick
poetry and art online

i am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
thank you. we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
i need a lover that won't drive me crazy.
i brought my pencil . . . gimme something to write on!

if you love someone, let him fly. or break his wings so he can't leave.
on a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
the boob has been deboobed.
if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
kill one man, you're a murderer. kill a million, a king. kill them all, a god.

#109 User is offline   lyD Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:48 AM

Congrats guys. I thought Summers By Your Side was quite brilliant, as strong and radio-ready a song as I've heard on here, and that's saying something. I listened to it repeatedly and will definitely be returning to it.

I also thought the whole field was top quality. I won't single any out, simply because I remember loving them all. As I said before, it was like buying a new CD. Really good stuff.
David Butler - soundclick

#110 User is offline   Neal K Icon

• Smile. It'll do you good.
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2010 - 10:56 AM

Yup, I picked Decker and Tams for the number one spot. They deserved to win. I loved the idea of having a theme. It was interesting to see what everyone came up with.

Neal
The forest would be silent if only the best birds sang.

#111 User is offline   kimberlyinnc Icon

• Amused Muses Muser
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Writing, music, dance, but first is family, faith and my dogs

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Much congrats to Tammy and Decker for their song getting first place...I loved it when I first heard it. It stuck in my head...especially that chorus!! I did choose it as my favorite, but wow...what a GREAT group of songs this time!!!

I had
"Until The Summer Ends" NigeQ/Billy -as my 2nd Choice--Loved the chorus, and the entire song...very fun..It stuck in my head as well, so something that stuck with me was part of the criteria of my voting process.

"Dance The Nights Away (All Summer Long) - Neuroron/Jonie 3rd Choice --It made me think of Dirty Dancing...I could see these folks working the tables, then party the nights away. What a fantastic fun sound as well as lyrics!

As I said, I hear things in each song that made me like them all!! After my first choice, it was VERY hard, one of the hardest choices I have had to make....Fantastic job guys!!!

:)

Kimberly
KimberlyinNC
"Criticism, like rain, should be gentle enough to nourish a man's growth without destroying his roots"
****My Songwriting Website****
www.littleikepublishing.com

#112 User is offline   fabkebab Icon

• Ahh a newbie no longer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Fatherhood, Songwriting/performing, the mystery of "on stage charisma", The wide world, Gardening, People, Sports, trying to "get" America

Posted 04 June 2010 - 01:46 PM

Well done Tams/Decker -
I can honestly say I have caught myself humming your song a few times, which is as good a compliment as I could give -

Glad we placed 3rd, even though someone above mistook me for Lyd :-)
One man band (pop-folk-rock):
http://www.soundclic...dmanscorner.htm

Full 5 person band: (trad folk):
http://www.soundclic...oversreturn.htm

Actual amateurish home made website with tons of wondrous content
http://www.fabkebab.com

#113 User is offline   MysteryMike Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2010 - 03:06 PM

These were my picks... I really didn't look much at the guidelines, except that it had to do with Summer...

1st pick - Summers By Your Side
2nd pick - Don't Trust That Summertime Smile
3rd pick - Those Summer Days
Click Here If You Dare.....

Hello my friend, are you visible today?

#114 User is offline   starsinmyeyes Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 04 June 2010 - 06:39 PM

Congratulations to the winners and place-getters, I chose them all in the correct order :D !

I'd just like to say that Neal did a wonderful job helping this newbie through the challenge, so my heartfelt thanks to him. Thanks also to Bruce N for all his efforts in running the competition, I am very glad to have taken part.

And as Hot Chocolate says "Everyone's a winner baby..." :)
Click on the My Muse Channel link below for access to all my freshly inked lyrics

https://www.facebook.com/MyMuseChannel

#115 User is offline   Randy P. Gendron Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Interests:Jesus, Susie, Family, Friends, Music, Painting

Posted 05 June 2010 - 03:20 AM

Cool challenge... smart songs... made listening and voting a whole bunch of fun. B) Well Done Everyone !! :)

#116 User is offline   Decker Icon

• Contributing Muse
  • PipPip
  • Interests:Songwriting, Music, Engineering, Production, Reading / Watching Sci-Fi & Fantasy, Playing Footy, Eating, Drinking and being Merry.

Posted 05 June 2010 - 10:47 AM

Hey Guys!

Thanks so much for your kind comments. The standard of songs in the contest was extremely high and the variation in styles kept things interesting from start to finish, to be honest there wasn't a song in there that you couldn't imagine being played at some level.

Twas great working with Tammy, the quality of her lyrical ideas, and ear for a melody, made it so much easier to come up with the music and subsequently get immersed in the song itself.

I just wanted to say a quick thanks to Bruce for organising the event too, these contests are a super way of developing as a songwriter and learning how best to collaborate with other people, and the quality of the ideas produced by the muses muse crew never ceases to amaze me. :)

Good times!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
It takes a few minutes to debate whether you should try an idea, and a few seconds to actually try the idea. Just try the idea. :)
When collaborating electronically, or otherwise, try to be as positive as possible in your feedback.
There's nothing that quenches creativity, or certainly drive & work ethic, than the shooting down of ones ideas.
Try to see things from both sides of the fence, take a walk in the other persons shoes.
Take a break every so often, a different perspective on things can help you along.

#117 User is offline   No Future Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2010 - 11:47 AM

Yeah, congratulations to the winners. You were my first choice too. These were all great songs!
Making me live in the present (as is there was no future) was your biggest present

#118 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 05 June 2010 - 04:49 PM

Being the designated driver of this contest I didn't submit a vote, although if I had the standings wouldn't have changed, as noted by other voters It was extremely difficult to pick the top song, and my picks wavered between Summers By Your Side and Until The Summer Ends.

John-Paul and Tammy's song was very contemporary and to my ears could make it to the airwaves, and Nige and Billy's song came across to me as an real fun lighthearted song that one could easily associate with summer time, in fact I couldn't help envisioning what a great video that could be made to go along with it, one that would pop up every summer.

third pick was equally as hard to choose, a nice verity of styles and subject matter, but the one I settled on was Don't Trust that Summertime Smile, it has a way of growing on you after repeated listening, good job Don and Sarah

Honorable mention goes out to Funkdaddy and No Future's Summer Home, great lyrics and great music, a fine job and performance, and Mark you really have nailed that Tragically Hip style and sound down to a T, I'm truly impressed.

Once again a great job by all participants, and the pleasure is mine in playing some small role in orchestrating the amazing pool of talented people that we have here at the Muse.

Thanks
Bruce
The views and opinions expressed by me in the "Off Topic Forum" are mine, and mine alone and should not be considered as representing the views and opinions of this site, the site owner, or that of other Moderators.

#119 User is offline   NigeQ Icon

• ... but you turn right over to the T.V. page
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Super Moderators

Posted 06 June 2010 - 02:18 AM

I would like to congratulate everyone. We had a good batch of songs here and I liked the theme, it gave us focus and freedom. It was very difficult to single out songs for points but I had (Don't Trust That) Summertime Smile as my top pick, an interesting take on the theme. Summers By Your Side – great sound and would sit very comfortably on the radio. Those Summer Days – I just knew fabkebab and Graybeard would be a dangerous combination and they didn’t disappoint. I enjoyed listening to all the songs and they would make a great ‘summer’ EP :)

Billy was a pleasure to work with. I think we have the longest email trail in the history :D Lots of ideas flying around and all very productive.

Thanks to Bruce for organising, these collab comps are always worthwhile and often produce very good songs.

Nige :)

#120 User is offline   fabkebab Icon

• Ahh a newbie no longer
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Fatherhood, Songwriting/performing, the mystery of "on stage charisma", The wide world, Gardening, People, Sports, trying to "get" America

Posted 06 June 2010 - 10:37 AM

We need another competition soon!! I had forgotten how much fun these collaboration competitions are!
One man band (pop-folk-rock):
http://www.soundclic...dmanscorner.htm

Full 5 person band: (trad folk):
http://www.soundclic...oversreturn.htm

Actual amateurish home made website with tons of wondrous content
http://www.fabkebab.com

#121 User is offline   lyD Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 11:31 AM

I agree, especially as I had to miss this one. Surely it's about time for a Christmas theme? :D
David Butler - soundclick

#122 User is offline   FunkDaddy Icon

• Ph.D Drumology
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 12:12 PM

Christmas collab would be fun!

Thanks for the compliment Bruce, I wouldn't mind knowing who gave us the 3rd place scores if they wanna come forward or PM me.
Mark
SoundCloud
Facebook
YouTube

Always up for a collaboration with lyricists!

#123 User is offline   jonie Icon

• ooo xxx
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

Great comp, deserving winners and, as usual, a lot of fun.

Congratulations to Decker and tamsnumber4 - What a great song! I had it third only because I felt the lyric wasn't quite as good as my first and second place picks but Decker did a wonderful job with it nonetheless.

Nige and Billy got my top score. As far as I was concerned, it was the only song that met all the voting criteria. Billy's lyric was outstanding and Nige, as always, gave it a great groove. And I don't think any lyric stood up as well to the 'summertime feel' requirement. Well done guys!

I gave my second highest score to Don and Sarah. I was quite blown away by everything about it, the melody, vocals and story. The only thing that kept me from giving it my top score was the the fact that it didn't give me the same summertime feel as Nige and Billy's.

If I could have scored a 4th place or even a tie for third, it would definitely have gone to Andrew and greybeard. Congrats on third place, guys.

I was glad to see so many newbie lyricists participating. I'd like to see more musicians (newbies and old hats) signing up for the next one.

Ron was great to collab with. He provided the rhythm, melody and theme up front. It only took an evening for us to hammer out a lyric. I would have liked to have seen it place higher but with such strong competition, I'm certainly not surprised.

Good job with this one, Bruce. You can go back to the kitchen now. I think cook needs help preparing the goose pate.
We have now sunk to a depth at which re-statement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men.
George Orwell

The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion.
Arthur C. Clarke

Don Martin Lyric of the Year 2008 & 2009
1 + 1 Song of the Year 2009 Ain't That True

My Soundclick Page
My lyrics and songs hosted by Lyricadia

#124 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:14 PM

Good job with this one, Bruce. You can go back to the kitchen now. I think cook needs help preparing the goose pate.

I'm working on that right now, just don't confuse me with Fred.

Posted Image

#125 User is offline   SatanInventedBras Icon

• Call me Cordelia
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:18 PM

View Postjonie, on 06 June 2010 - 02:28 PM, said:

I gave my second highest score to Don and Sarah. I was quite blown away by everything about it, the melody, vocals and story. The only thing that kept me from giving it my top score was the the fact that it didn't give me the same summertime feel as Nige and Billy's.

Thanks Jonie! I completely missed that part of the directions, but had a BOAT LOAD of fun tossing ideas back and forth with Don... so glad we "settled" on Becky's story. :)

View PostBruce N, on 06 June 2010 - 04:14 PM, said:

I'm working on that right now, just don't confuse me with Fred.

Posted Image

Or Joey!!

Posted Image
more of my writing
my soundclick
poetry and art online

i am disinclined to acquiesce to your request.
thank you. we're all refreshed and challenged by your unique point of view.
i need a lover that won't drive me crazy.
i brought my pencil . . . gimme something to write on!

if you love someone, let him fly. or break his wings so he can't leave.
on a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
the boob has been deboobed.
if you choose not to decide you still have made a choice.
the opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.
kill one man, you're a murderer. kill a million, a king. kill them all, a god.

#126 User is offline   Alistair S Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

Or.. oh.. wait .. that IS Bruce, in his off-duty clothes ...

Posted Image
My Soundclick Music Page
My Facebook Music Page

"In my opinion this is a bunch of filth and garbage and we need far less this type of lyrics gettin back in the ears of our children." - from a critique received

"When I was 5 years old, my mum always told me that happiness was the key to life. When I went to school, they asked me what I wante to be when I grew up. I wrote down, "Happy". The told me I didn't understand the assignment and I told them they didn't understand life." John Lennon.

#127 User is offline   Bruce N Icon

• ' Ribbit '
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 06 June 2010 - 05:42 PM

View PostAlistair S, on 06 June 2010 - 05:32 PM, said:

Or.. oh.. wait .. that IS Bruce, in his off-duty clothes ...

Yeah!!! in my favorite grey shirt.

• (3 Pages)
  • +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users