Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board: Proponosity - Muse's Muse Songwriting Message Board

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Proponosity The Instrumental In Finality

#1 User is offline   deker Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:writing, music, & sex

Posted 30 September 2012 - 05:14 AM

Hi Everybody

Proponosity has had it's final mix, and has been entered into the UK song contest as an instrumental, so thanks for all your comments, if anyone is interested in how it does, let me know and I'll post the result in December, whatever that may be! the final article is here. (just 3 changes 2 very subtle)

Deker

Link to the melody http://soundcloud.co...osity-final-mix

#2 User is offline   Neal K Icon

• Smile. It'll do you good.
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 01 October 2012 - 06:01 PM

I listened.

One of the keys to writing a good melody is to make it singable. That means:

- Put it in a key that most people can sing. The melody on this recording is played very high - I'd re-record it with the piano part at least one octave lower so people can more easily sing along to it.
- Don't have a lot of odd rhythms and off-beat stuff (don't know if you did that on purpose or not).
- Look for two or three "motiffs" that you will repeat over and over again. John Lennon used to take the "Three Blind Mice" approach for his chorus melodies... meaning that they were big and simple. Think, "All You Need is Love" or "Don't Let Me Down" or "I'd Love to Turn you On", etc, etc.

Neal
The forest would be silent if only the best birds sang.

#3 User is offline   deker Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 02 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

Hi Neal

I'm afraid I don't buy that at all, first of all in my experience you don't sing along with an instrumental! you whistle, hum, or tap your feet because there's no lyrics to sing to! and if you drop an octave or two the sound is entirely different, everyone 'in my experience' 'including myself' will follow their favourite song by singing along with the artist in a key they're comfortable with, but doing what you suggest lessens the impact of the piece altogether, and changes the whole appeal the melody may have, but all the same Neal thanks for taking the time to drop by with your comments, the only comments I've had actually, so on that note can I just say have a nice day and thanks again for stopping by.

deker

#4 User is offline   Salley Gardens Icon

• A Muse's Muse
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Moderators

Posted 02 October 2012 - 11:05 AM

If your intent is to add lyrics to the melody so it can be sung at some point, then Neal's advice is spot on. Your initial post almost suggests this may be your intent. If so, range is also important to consider, the distance between the lowest note to the highest note in the melody. Singing along one octave lower, I was just able to sing the whole range. People have different capabilities to the range they can sing, so if this were to be song, you'd have to keep in mind who you'd like to sing it. Keeping the whole thing in a tighter range would make it accessible for more people to sing; or just keeping the main melody bits (motifs) in an accessible range works, too (ex: being able to sing along with the chorus).

Yes, some considerations change if you want to keep this strictly an instrumental. Neal's advice on motifs and off-beat/odd rhythms still holds. Easily identifiable melodic or rhythmic bits the listener's ears can grab. People *do* like to sing along with instrumental music where they can, whether it be humming or "la la ooo ooo", just as people tap their fingers and move to the beat of a vocal song. :)

The "A" part of your melody had a lyrical motif my ears could grab. The "B" part, starting from about 40-seconds to about the 1-minute mark, rambled in a way that my ears got lost.

The keyboard performance utilized a ton of rubato, where notes/rests are held longer than their expected value and then catching up with the timing. Used sparingly, with deliberate intent, rubato can enhance the emotional impact of a performance (either vocal or instrumental). I agree with Neal, it's hard to tell if the amount of rubato in this performance was intentional. If so, it's used a bit too excessively for impact, and sounds a tad more like the performer was unable to keep up with the beat.

I think this melody would benefit from added lyrics, rewriting the "B" part, and playing it closer to the beat.

#5 User is offline   deker Icon

• Active Muse
  • PipPipPip

Posted 03 October 2012 - 10:50 AM

Hi Sally

I could be in agreement with you both if I intended to add lyrics Ďbut I donítí the thing/s Iím looking to add are subtle accompaniments, thatís why some notes are held a little longer than necessary, those places are reserved for and still waiting for those subtleties to take root, I still may have to make other changes to accommodate those changes, but Iíll cross that bridge when I come to it, but those changes are looking a little doubtful at the moment, I still say that raising or lowering an octave alters the way in which the music sounds. Because Iíve done it! But thanks all the same for your advice. When I first started with this melody I it in different keys until I found the one that suited, thatís why I donít intend to change the sound now, I kind of like it the way it is! Anyhow have a real nice day. And thanks for dropping in.

deker

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users