There are a lot of songwriting ideas out there but let’s look at these ideas from how we write a song—from top to bottom.
1. Title –Make it interesting –and short
2. Intro or signature lick - Keep intro under 12 seconds - See “My Girl” for a definition of a signature lick
3. 1st line –Intrigue the listener – 1st ace Example : "the second thing she told me before she walked away"
4. Show don’t tell -Use details (describe some specific- very specific details about the setting- See John Steinbeck)
5. Last line first verse – leads into chorus - 2nd ace
6. Chorus – memorable --- short phrases that repeat melodically
7. Hook –memorable--- lyrically and musically (See your Title)
8. 2nd verse - New information-- What else happened, opening line 3rd ace
9. Last line 4th ace Lead back to chorus
10. Bridge –try a fresh chord or–non diatonic chord –lyrics should lead back to chorus with a more powerful meaning (see my article on Building Bridges)